Un-Brick the design.

ZetaNeta

I see that many of us expect probably a "NDS-brick" type console.

Lets atleast give it some curves, some aluminum stuff... just for it not to look so plain.
More like a modern "powerful" gaming device looks like.
I would have to disagree with complaints that this would affect the "pocketability" of the device, as if done right, it can have minimal changes done to it.
Also, having something metal on the case, may boost the wifi/mobile signal if used as a main antenna.

Popular examples of this design: MSI GT60 20D, NVIDIA Shield, Most Alienwares (worst example)....

Basically, i am complaining here, that the design of the device is too "flat" and is basically made from 2 parts, held together with the screws.

PS: If the E-INK screen will pass, i am ok with the current design, as it will already be not as bricky as it looks in prerenders right now.

I am actually quite happy with the plain, not-worth-stealing, look of the Pandora. The sharp edges help when you are out of shaving knifes.

But yeah, a little less brittle to be able to open beer bottles with it is welcome.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lets atleast give it some curves, some aluminum stuff... just for it not to look so plain.

I would have to disagree with complaints that this would affect the "pocketability" of the device, as if done right, it can have minimal changes done to it.

Also, having something metal on the case, may boost the wifi/mobile signal if used as a main antenna.

Popular examples of this design: MSI GT60 20D, NVIDIA Shield, Most Alienwares (worst example)....

Basically, i am complaining here, that the design of the device is too "flat" and is basically made from 2 parts, held together with the screws.

PS: If the E-INK screen will pass, i am ok with the current design, as it will already be not as bricky as it looks in prerenders right now.
How about some shock resistant polymer over magnesium alloy chassis ?

More like device with real purpose, not just the regular "product" type of device targeted for the mighty "art enthusiast" crowd... So yeah, keep the aluminum for the hipsters, because it cracks   :)

The beauty of the simplicity is one thing, but the "art design faggotery" caused by apple, is whole another ball game. :)

I actually like the little brick looks of the Pandora - particularly the old black cases. They looked like a micro-Thinkpad.

Function and compactness in this device is much more important than form.

I don't see anything wrong with it now, but I guess they can make it more like the 3DS XL.

It's more flatten.

I wouldn't like the case to be made of more parts than necessary.  I hope not to have a very hard time building replacement cases.  Also they should stack.

@Tenka: Rofl. Then make them like giant lego blocks, no mortar required.

The cleaner they stack together the less cement we need to apply.  It's only efficient.
Build a firewall using Pyra-bricks! Now we certainly need a flame-based logo...
Can I has Lego-compatible holes on the bottom, please ...
Do you want to build Pandora houses or what's up here? oO

The bricky design seems to be quite inspirational.

Klumpen: When you see it, you'll shit bricks pyra's

pandora_on_wheels_brickdesign.jpg

I suggest to make the case as complex as needed but no more complex than that.

The "brickyness" of the Pandora never bothered me.

ZetaNeta, could you make this a bit more constructive?

E.g. do you have some proof-of-concept sketches of what you are thinking about?

I am actually quite happy with the plain, not-worth-stealing, look of the Pandora. The sharp edges help when you are out of shaving knifes.

But yeah, a little less brittle to be able to open beer bottles with it is welcome.
Beeropener is vital in Pyras market strategy.

What's wrong with bricks? Oo
Government will start pretending that they build houses from Pyra's as a part of "New Technology" program, take all the money, and start building them out of the black bricks.

How about some shock resistant polymer over magnesium alloy chassis ?

More like device with real purpose, not just the regular "product" type of device targeted for the mighty "art enthusiast" crowd... So yeah, keep the aluminum for the hipsters, because it cracks   :)

The beauty of the simplicity is one thing, but the "art design faggotery" caused by apple, is whole another ball game. :)
Here we got no beauty of simplicity unfortunately. And no... i just want any other design but the one we got right now.

I actually like the little brick looks of the Pandora - particularly the old black cases. They looked like a micro-Thinkpad.

Function and compactness in this device is much more important than form.
No ThinkPad looks like a ThinkPad without a IBM sticker. Does Lenovo still put those?

I am unsure if ED can licence their logo...

I don't see anything wrong with it now, but I guess they can make it more like the 3DS XL.

It's more flatten.
Maybe more like the 3DS XL... but further from the original 3DS design please....

I wouldn't like the case to be made of more parts than necessary.  I hope not to have a very hard time building replacement cases.  Also they should stack.
"How many do you want to buy?!?!"

A proper design will stack. I dont mean them to be "really special form" here

Why not to get a licence from LEGO® then, to produce compatible cases?

41ZVYd6pr5L._SL500_AA280_.jpg
legocamera_1240492c.jpg

(I had one of those players once... till i tried to open it)

The cleaner they stack together the less cement we need to apply.  It's only efficient.
Build a firewall using Pyra-bricks! Now we certainly need a flame-based logo...
Can I has Lego-compatible holes on the bottom, please ...
Do you want to build Pandora houses or what's up here? oO

The bricky design seems to be quite inspirational.
s/Pandora/Pyra

GREAT! I see it... PYRA CONSTRUCTIONS INC.

ED will have additional income by building houses made from Pyras... Gotta get rich.

I suggest to make the case as complex as needed but no more complex than that.

The "brickyness" of the Pandora never bothered me.

ZetaNeta, could you make this a bit more constructive?

E.g. do you have some proof-of-concept sketches of what you are thinking about?
Pandora is nice... maybe. But what i saw about Pyra so far, isnt really getting me happy.

No, i cant draw, and my mind reading machine is currently getting fixed in another universe.

@ZetaNeta, Post some renders of your idea, and it will be discussed, besides there are no official design renders from the Pyra Dev team yet? or I am wrong?

Keep in mind that when it comes to laptops and phones, aluminum is not a high end material, but magnesium is. Check some ten or more years old Latitude and you will see why.

I personally do not care about the design as long as the device do his job, it is comfortable enough, and there are no glossy parts on it.

No ThinkPad looks like a ThinkPad without a IBM sticker. Does Lenovo still put those?
Nope: inner side 3 stickers: Intel, Windows, and Lenovo enhanced experience. Outside: Energy star and 2 logo's: Lenovo and Thinkpad

But do you mean the Pyra should have stickers? Like, "no intel inside", "no n-hexane used", "no child-labour", "opensource inside", "No person was underpaid during the production of this device", "this GSM device is endorsed by the NSA", "do not stack", etc.

Only inside the batter compartment, I'd hope. Don't want to have to take anything off and risk getting crud all over the case.

Back