Universal "emulator Menu" Button

Should every emulator ect. use the same key to bring up the options menu?

• Total voters

Exophase said:
Thanks Capitano. I think having short push passed to the program (and encouraged for opening menus) and long press kill the process would be preferable to what's currently happening. That's just my opinion, of course.
That's what I would prefer personally but failing that I would go with the Start button for homebrew and start+fn for emulators (seeing as though most emulators already use the start button for pausing etc.).

Last edited by a moderator:
Tripmonkey_uk said:
Exophase said:
Thanks Capitano. I think having short push passed to the program (and encouraged for opening menus) and long press kill the process would be preferable to what's currently happening. That's just my opinion, of course.
That's what I would prefer personally but failing that I would go with the Start button for homebrew and start+fn for emulators (seeing as though most emulators already use the start button for pausing etc.).

How about Fn+Pandora?

Having to press two buttons to get to a menu for an emulator that doesn't use most of the keys at all is ridiculous.

twent4 said:
How about Fn+Pandora?
Thought that was used for the emergency shutdown (Ctrl+Alt+Del style)?

Exophase said:
Having to press two buttons to get to a menu for an emulator that doesn't use most of the keys at all is .
It's about making it the same for all emulators so it's easier for the user. What's ridiculous about that?

Tripmonkey_uk said:
It's about making it the same for all emulators so it's easier for the user. What's ridiculous about that?

It's not ridiculous to have that as a fallback, per-se, for sake of uniformity. But it certainly shouldn't be the only option. If there's going to be a suggested standard it should be "this single key for platforms that don't need to use it for core functionality, and this key sequence additionally."

wish the pandora button was used for this. press for menu long press/hold for kill menu

Trevsweb said:
wish the pandora button was used for this. press for menu long press/hold for kill menu

Okay, I'm starting a poll.

Exophase said:
Having to press two buttons to get to a menu for an emulator that doesn't use most of the keys at all is ridiculous.
No, THIS IS SPARTA...uh... I mean this is Open Source. XD

Seriously, I don't have a problem with a 2-button Key combo if it's used to kill an app. I don't want to hit a kill-button accidently during a Game. ;) But for things like "Menu" "Pause" "Select" it could be unified, or for Emulators close to the original system. ^^

Trevsweb said:
I would say press for application menu and hold for OS menu.

OS menu would be more than just the kill menu but also stuff such as max clock speed, screen brightness, color profile etc..

Caine said:
Trevsweb said:
I would say press for application menu and hold for OS menu.

OS menu would be more than just the kill menu but also stuff such as max clock speed, screen brightness, color profile etc..

Vote in my thread, but don't pick other, I'm going to modify the option a little bit ^^

Back