Unreal Tournament

It's to help create .dll files for advanced mods. As far as I know, there were two partial releases of UT source code, one by Epic and the other one by the company that did the Linux port.

But both can just help make complex mods or improvements, not UT ports.

it's suprizingly good... even if it's still unplayable... you did a great job

@ptitSeb: I pointed you to the old Unreal project because the guy behind it seems to be quite knowledgeable about Unreal, maybe he could give you contacts at Epic ?

Community patch support
The official patch support by Epic MegaGames ended with patch 2.26f in July 2000. Therefore, with the awareness and permission of Epic, the fan community started the OldUnreal Community patch project based on the original source code in 2008.[5] The latest patch iteration, 2.27i, released in November 2012, features DirectX 9 and OpenAL support for and fixes many incompatibilities with modern operating systems and hardware.
I have also found this site and that one too (Digital Extremes co-developed Unreal with Epic).

Edit: how about sending a mail to Ryan C. Gordon (icculus) ?

Linux
An unofficial content port of the single-player maps to Linux was created by several users of icculus.org, which allowed the Unreal single-player game content to be run as a modification for Unreal Tournament.[7][8][9] The online retailer Tux Games at one point sold a box set including the Linux version.[10][11]

The 227 community patch contains a full Linux port for Unreal.
Edit 2: quotes are from the Unreal's wikipedia article here.

Cheers,

Magic Sam

Last edited by a moderator:
@ptitSeb: I pointed you to the old Unreal project because the guy behind it seems to be quite knowledgeable about Unreal, maybe he could give you contacts at Epic ?
Yes but no. He is not a representative of Epic, he can do nothing for me (I tried some time ago).
I have also found this site and that one too (Digital Extremes co-developed Unreal with Epic).
I'll tried again, but last time I checked, I couldn't find an email address that seems usable.
Not sure, again, Icculus is not Epic. I can try but I have little hope (it's not open source, so I need agreement directly from Epic).

@ptitSeb: I understand these people can't give you their agreement on behalf of Epic, but maybe they could tell you how they did to have it, and who to contact for that purpose.

Epic Games Europe

East Sussex, United Kingdom

Established in 2011, Epic Games Europe is a wholly owned and operated subsidiary of Epic Games, Inc., creator award-winning games and game technology. Based in South East England, the office provides Unreal Engine licensing services for developers across all of Europe.
Source

Could somebody just go there and knock at their door, politely ?

Cheers,

Magic Sam

Not sure, again, Icculus is not Epic. I can try but I have little hope (it's not open source, so I need agreement directly from Epic).
Ryan probably have a good contat at EPIC though.

Show him your previous ports, he will help getting in touch (probably, he is a very nice guy)

UT! I loved that game and like Unreal 1 I played it alot. The port looks promising. Still needs work and I hope it will be playable with all the GFX effects enabled that made Unreal engine games so shiny.

Maybe a better driver could help, I have read something about an full open source driver for the Raspberry Pi that rus Quake 3 perfect. :) (I know this is a crude comparison)

http://www.raspberrypi.org/quake-iii-bounty-we-have-a-winner/

UT! I loved that game and like Unreal 1 I played it alot. The port looks promising. Still needs work and I hope it will be playable with all the GFX effects enabled that made Unreal engine games so shiny.

Maybe a better driver could help, I have read something about an full open source driver for the Raspberry Pi that rus Quake 3 perfect. :) (I know this is a crude comparison)

http://www.raspberrypi.org/quake-iii-bounty-we-have-a-winner/
Quake 3 has OpenGL ES support. Unreal Tournament does not. I also doubt PowerVR will open-source the SGX blobs.
The bottleneck here is CPU. It's actually still shiny if I turn up settings, I was just trying to maximize fps.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have read something about an full open source driver for the Raspberry Pi that rus Quake 3 perfect.
Actually the fully opensource driver is said to have less performance than the binary blob... but it's open source!

Quake 3 has OpenGL ES support. Unreal Tournament does not. I also doubt PowerVR will open-source the SGX blobs.

The bottleneck here is CPU. It's actually still shiny if I turn up settings, I was just trying to maximize fps.
Now that you mention the supported 3D modes, I remember the old Unreal games had a good software renderer if nothing else helps. ^^"
Actually the fully opensource driver is said to have less performance than the binary blob... but it's open source!
Reminds me onto the current Open Source Java version, I have these and the Oracle version tested on my Pandora and the open source version is very slow compared to the closed source original.

[BUMP]
Hello all,

I got some promising results with Surreal on x86_64:

I could actually get in the game and move around the first level of Unreal :)

Cheers, Magic Sam
[/BUMP]

Back