Copied from http://www.openpandora.ca/

- 128MB DDR-333 SDRAM
- 256MB NAND FLASH memory
- Texas Instruments OMAP3430 processor at 625MHz
- Dimensions: 140x83x27mm
- IVA2+ audio and video processor using TI's DaVinci™ technology
- ARM® Cortex™-A8 superscalar microprocessor core
- integrated Wifi 802.11b/g
- 800x480 resolution touchscreen LCD, 4.3" widescreen, 16.7 million colors (300 cd/m2 brightness, 450:1 contrast ratio)
- Dual analog controllers with center pushbutton
- Full gamepad controls plus shoulder buttons
- Dual SDHC card slots (currently up to 32GB of storage)

- 43 button QWERTY and numeric keypad
- USB 2.0 OTG port (480Mb/s) with capability to charge device
- USB 2.0 HOST port (480Mb/s) capable of providing the full 500mA to attached devices
- externally accessible UART for hardware hacking and debugging
- unbrickable design with integrated bootloader for safe code experimentation

- headphone output up to 150mW/channel into 16 ohms, 99dB SNR
- PowerVR SGX OpenGL ES 2.0 compliant 3D hardware
- TV output (composite and S-Video)
- Internal microphone plus ability to connect external mic through headset

The specs look good!

I love the new renders as well, its going to look super sexy if it turns out like that.

The only suggestion i would make would be to make the charge / sd / sd / wifi lights extend up a bit, so they'll be visible when the lid is closed!

Pickle said:
- USB 2.0 HOST port (480Mb/s) capable of providing the full 500mA to attached devices
So it will be a fully powered host port. Cool.

I imagine connecting a device that draws anywhere near the full 500mA will significantly reduce battery life, but it's good to know the option is there. It opens up a bunch of interesting possibilities.

Last edited by a moderator:
parag0n said:
I love the new renders as well, its going to look super sexy if it turns out like that.
What new renders? Are my eyes cheating me, because I only see three renders, all of them old.

Yeah, those renders look ugly, i hope it doesn't look like that. It's basically like one of the OLPC laptops but with a better 3d card and a higher price tag. I wouldn't want to hold my laptop like it was a controller either, wonder if these things are set in stone.

I think it's looking pretty good. I just hope it's not too heavy - as long as it doesn't weigh more than a PSP phat, I'll be happy :)

narmak said:
Yeah, those renders look ugly, i hope it doesn't look like that. It's basically like one of the OLPC laptops but with a better 3d card and a higher price tag. I wouldn't want to hold my laptop like it was a controller either, wonder if these things are set in stone.
you do realize that it's approx the size of a nintendo DS?

I don't see anything MWeston hasn't said already on here on there.

Does nobody else have his "posts" page in their bookmarks? :p

narmak said:
So you're only now commenting on the design that's been out for weeks?

And you're ignoring all the info that MWeston has said about it?

atomicthumbs said:
I don't see anything MWeston hasn't said already on here on there.
your right most of them were known, i havnt seen these:
- IVA2+ audio and video processor using TI's DaVinci™ technology
- USB 2.0 OTG port (480Mb/s) with capability to charge device
- externally accessible UART for hardware hacking and debugging
(knew about USB, but not that is would support 500ms/ or that it would charge)

Its nice that its been updated and sort of 'confirmed' a bit, but I'm still very much wanting to see at least the fabricated production case/shell of the unit.

It would be nice if more info were available on a regular besides a mockup pic. I mean, its almost 2 or 3 months left until they're hoping to release this! (Even if it's only to developers first) I'm mostly guessing this won't happen, but even so I could handle another year even if we were given more little snippets & info regarding how its development is progressing in terms of a daily, weekly or monthly log/progress report.

i.e.

1/31: Case design and molding finalized. Go to www.openpandora.ca for screenshots
2/26: First circuit board layout submitted and tested, everything checks okay
3/14: Problems with one of the production lines, but it looks like they've got a handle on things.
4/27: 5, first phase units shipped to developers!! Check www.openpandora.ca for 1st pics & vids of startup screen, etc.

etc., etc.

Just a wish-thought. *shrug*

Unfortunately most of the stuff that is happening/being discussed at the moment can't be made public for various reasons, but you can be sure that when something major happens, you'll be told of it :)

Squidge said:
Unfortunately most of the stuff that is happening/being discussed at the moment can't be made public for various reasons, but you can be sure that when something major happens, you'll be told of it :)
This brings up an issue that im not sure how it will pan out. With the GP2X pretty much all discussion was open here, and details that were reversed engineered from it were discussed openly. I dont think anyone has ever held anything back.

Is this going to change with Pandora? Is everyone that signed NDA's going to be always tight lipped. Are there going to be some in the community that have to rev. eng. pandora to get details?
When those details come out, what will be the NDA groups reaction.

Im not saying the NDA's have to say anything or that they should, but i wonder if that closed information will be harmful.

Suggestion: put a coin or something in the renders for scale so people don't assume it's laptop size. This seems to be common for first-time viewers.

GunPei2X said:
we had zero information from GPH, ever. At this stage in a project, of course you won't get full disclosure - but we're getting more contact and frank discussion than normal.
No i agree with on that side, we for sure have more info from Pandora's group than GPH.

But say for example I had a question how X works on the GP2X hw, and say Squidge comes along and tells me it works like Y.
Now I have the same question for Pandora, but know he cant say anything because of an NDA.

Pickle said:
No i agree with on that side, we for sure have more info from Pandora's group than GPH.

But say for example I had a question how X works on the GP2X hw, and say Squidge comes along and tells me it works like Y.
Now I have the same question for Pandora, but know he cant say anything because of an NDA.
Yeah, sorry I misunderstood what you were saying (which is why I edited the post, but you saw it first :) ).

I suspect (hope) this will change once the unit is released.

Back