Updating Firmware - Should I?

spyhunter

Still Fresh
Having revcently purchased the Caanoo, I must say I am very impressed and it has come leaps and bounds since I owned the original GP32 :)

With that said, is it worth upgrading my firmware - now GPH is out of business I assume no more FW updates will be released.

I have also heard that upgrading breaks some compatibility with the emulators, games, etc - is this true?

I am on Version 1.6.0 (Linux 2.6.24 Revision: 162) - I beloieve there is one upgrade left v1.6.1 ?

Thanks,

Neil

GPH isn't of the business, only the hardware design part: i think new firmwares can go out but not in this mounth; for your exact question, naturally, update to 1.6.1, it improve the performance of the console a lot and don't broke compatibility of the emus.. ;)

although since upgrading my vice emulator has disappeared from the menu? I have checked the config file - everything is fine. HELP!

Looking at the comment section on page http://dl.openhandhelds.org/cgi-bin/caanoo.cgi?0,0,0,0,42,743 ... I'm wondering if it is a good idea to upgrade.

Personally, the first thing I did when I received mine was downgrade to 1.0.6.... it seems it produces the best benchmarks (if the benchmarking tool can be trusted).

So, if you're using your caanoo strictly for gaming/emulators, I think 1.0.6 is your best bet.

But, I don't think wireless works with 1.0.6 (I forget the details), so it's kind of a trade-off. I don't use wireless, so that doesn't matter for me, I'm more interested in performance.

Promised Planet said:
Looking at the comment section on page http://dl.openhandhelds.org/cgi-bin/caanoo.cgi?0,0,0,0,42,743 ... I'm wondering if it is a good idea to upgrade.

Last edited by a moderator:
i have all working, all appears fine on the new version. i use mame, vice, uae, picodrive, psx4all, scummvm, atari2600 :)

To add I was on v1.6.0 anyway

spyhunter said:
i have all working, all appears fine on the new version. i use mame, vice, uae, picodrive, psx4all, scummvm, atari2600 :)

To add I was on v1.6.0 anyway

Anyone else on 1.6.1 (rev167)? Any issues? Is it any noticeable improvement over 1 1.6.0

Mine shipped with 1.6.0

It seems most of the comments for 1.6.1 are not too good (glitches and bricked units etc.), but others say it improves performance a bit

I am trying to decide between 1.0.6 (seems to be the fastest but is missing the updates along the way), 1.6.0 (came with this) and 1.6.1 (rev 167)...

Thanks!

PS: It seems there are TWO listings in the OpenHandhelds firmware section for 1.6.1???
One says '1.6.1' in the title and the other title says '1.6.1 rev 167'.
Ironically I believe the 1.6.1 page (without referring to 'rev 167' in the title) is dated about 6 days later. In fact the '1.6.1' titled firmware section's link points to a '1.6.1 rev 167' filename anyway but with a later posting date than the one with the '167' in the title. I guess the one with the later date is the best bet (that is also the one with all of the comments of the two)...

BAFelton said:
1.6.1 for me ;)

Be careful using 1 or 2go SD empty cards before upgrading.

Thanks (re. the feedback about using 1.6.1

What is the issue with 1 GB or 2 GB cards?
I will be using a 16 GB SDHC card I already had.

In fact it seems the risk of bricking the caanoo is much more important with a SDHC card.

The best would be to use a SD card with only the firmware on it.

But i know people who used the SD given with the caanoo to do it.

BAFelton said:
In fact it seems the risk of bricking the caanoo is much more important with a SDHC card.

The best would be to use a SD card with only the firmware on it.

But i know people who used the SD given with the caanoo to do it.

Thanks! Glad you mentioned it!

So the recommendation is to use a small 1 - 2 GB non-HC regular SD card for performing firmware updates and then use a SDHC, as needed, for storing emulators and games etc. I guess?
I know MAME ROM's alone can easily take up quite a few gigs - not sure if the CPU on the Caanoo can handle the newer games though (I know my PC does).

I believe the Caanoo supports up to 32GB right? I had an extra 16 GB SDHC card lying around so I will use that for now. Hopefully it will be enough...

I upgraded to fw 1.6.1 now .
(As suggested, I used a 2 GB standard Sandisk SD card formatted to FAT [not FAT32] which is the default).

Just loaded BAFelton's starter pack (loaded it onto a Transcend (Class 10 I think) 16 GB SDHC card)...

Just tested Mame4All with one of the free games.
Going to load some other ROM's now.
I need to get used to the buttons on the Caanoo in terms of which one does what.

This thing is going to be so much fun.

Back