Updating Firmware: Will You Have To Redo Your Sd Card?

Necrosaro420

Still Fresh
Im new to the GP2X Wiz world. I purchased a used one and got it in today. It says: VERSION 1.1.0, Firmware: Linux 2.6.24 Rev 222. Which one do you go by as far as the firmware for the gp2x, the 1.1.0? Also if I update it to the newest out, I already have emu's on the SD card...will I just be able to pop the card back in and play those fine?? Thanks!

Yes, 1.1.0 is the firmware version. As far as the SD card is concerned, you should be fine with leaving everything on it. Just back up everything just to be safe. Be aware that some users have had problems with certain cards and wound up bricking their units. My advice would be to use a non sdhc card, even though some have used them without incident. I have a 1g Sandisk I use just for upgrading and never had any issues. The most recent firmware is 1.2.6 and before that was 1.2.1. The only thing I'm not sure about is if you have to have 1.2.1 on there first or if you can upgrade directly to 1.2.6. I'd play it safe if I were you, unbricking a Wiz is not an easy thing to do.

Orion4874 said:
Yes, 1.1.0 is the firmware version. As far as the SD card is concerned, you should be fine with leaving everything on it. Just back up everything just to be safe. Be aware that some users have had problems with certain cards and wound up bricking their units. My advice would be to use a non sdhc card, even though some have used them without incident. I have a 1g Sandisk I use just for upgrading and never had any issues. The most recent firmware is 1.2.6 and before that was 1.2.1. The only thing I'm not sure about is if you have to have 1.2.1 on there first or if you can upgrade directly to 1.2.6. I'd play it safe if I were you, unbricking a Wiz is not an easy thing to do.

Thanks. Is there really a reason to upgrade from the version I have? Im just using it for emulators and thats it. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
It's probably worth it to go to 1.2.1 just because of the fixes that were included. It also enables you to play the commercial games that have been released. If you want to surf the web with it you'll need 1.2.6, as it adds the wifi function. I myself am still on 1.2.1, but mainly because I'm waiting for a gender adapter to use a usb wifi adapter. But if you're only using it for emulation them don't worry about 1.2.6.

Back