Upgrade Pandora OS

pmprog

DNF (Did Not Finish)
Okay, so the last two times I've run this, I get a "Collected errors:" on the screen, and it just sits there. Doesn't prompt me to press any key to close etc.

Has this finished? I'm assuming so.

Also, it keeps overwriting my /etc/pandora/conf/eventmap file with the default Pandora one, can I stop it from doing that?

I don't know why it gets stuck, I've only had it a few times so it's hard to reproduce to fix. You can close and re-run it when it happens.

eventmap could be marked as a config and would not be updated, but then people would miss updates like the new TV layer switch key.

I don't know why it gets stuck, I've only had it a few times so it's hard to reproduce to fix. You can close and re-run it when it happens.
Okay, thanks.
eventmap could be marked as a config and would not be updated, but then people would miss updates like the new TV layer switch key.
Yeah, I understand that. Would it be possible to ask confirmation for config files to be overwritten?ie, some sort of dialogue that lists all configs that want to be replaced, with checkboxes next to them, so you can tick/untick which ones you want updating.

If nothing else, it'll at least make us aware of which config files are being changed.

Or... though this might be getting too complicated. If you kept CRCs for each version, then if it is an unchanged file, then just replace, otherwise do some sort of Diff/Merge, that let's the user import the new changes.

Think the latter might just be overkill. Maybe just reporting what config files were changed would be enough?

Cheers

I don't think opkg has such functionality, and (as always) there is no one to do work on such things.
It has functionality in that it installs new config files to... some directory, my network has decided google doesn't exist so I'm having trouble looking stuff up right now. Anywho, at the end of the script it could be possible to scan that directory for changes and then ask the user if they want to keep the old or new ones. Do you want me to mock something up?

Not sure what you are talking about, but now that I think about it, marking a file as config already prevents opkg from overwriting it (it then logs it as an error and leaves the file alone), but what does it do it the file is unmodified?

Not sure what you are talking about, but now that I think about it, marking a file as config already prevents opkg from overwriting it (it then logs it as an error and leaves the file alone), but what does it do it the file is unmodified?
If the file is unmodified it just overwrites it. If the config file has been modified it sticks it in a directory and tells you to decide what to do with it manually; /opt/opkg I think. I only thought of it because I updated this morning and it did that weird "done but not going to tell you so you just sit here staring at the output for several minutes" bug that has been reported. Gave me a few seconds to read and promptly ignore the warnings that I'd manually changed certain config files, noting that the new ones had been put somewhere that I can't remember. I'll reflash, change some config files, and update again tonight to figure out where they go and see what I can mock up in zenity.

Currently if a modified config file exists, it is left in place, and the file that would have replaced it is placed in the same folder with -opkg appended to the filename.

- Neelix

Ahah, thank you thank you. That saves me time but makes things interesting: how to find the changed config files? There's a newer version of opkg that actually keeps track for you with the "list-changed-conffiles" command, but that's not available in the version on the Pandora.

Just keep a copy of the opkg output. It always tells you when it hasn't updated a configuration file.  Once when processing the upgrade and then again in the collected errors section at the end.

eg:

Collected errors:
* resolve_conffiles: Existing conffile /etc/inittab is different from the conffile in the new package. The new conffile will be placed at /etc/inittab-opkg.
* resolve_conffiles: Existing conffile /etc/pandora/conf/cpu.conf is different from the conffile in the new package. The new conffile will be placed at /etc/pandora/conf/cpu.conf-opkg.
* resolve_conffiles: Existing conffile /etc/pandora/conf/tvout-profiles.conf is different from the conffile in the new package. The new conffile will be placed at /etc/pandora/conf/tvout-profiles.conf-opkg.
- Neelix

Last edited by a moderator:
Shall I look at creating the script to parse the log file, present the checkbox dialogue and copy the files they tick then?

I've worked out how to display a zenity dialogue with checkboxes, which was relatively simple; Not sure on parsing files yet, but if people are interested in having this, I'll (try and) look at it.

Have you been following the discussion here?

It's enough that eventmap is marked as config to get what you want. I'll do that for next update if I don't forget.

Have you been following the discussion here?

It's enough that eventmap is marked as config to get what you want. I'll do that for next update if I don't forget.
Yes, or at least I think so. Stan and Neelix said that if you use a flag with opkg, instead of overwriting a changed config it'll put it in a seperate directory, and list the files in the log. Am I right?

If so, I was thinking of a little script at the end that then let the user chose if they wanted to replace their customised configs with the new opkg downloaded versions (rather than them having to manually go find and copy them).

As, like you said, sometimes the config files contain changes which are useful; and say some change in eventmap was particularly useful, I might want to accept the update then go put my change back in.

If I'm wrong, or missed something, I'm sorry.

Yes, or at least I think so. Stan and Neelix said that if you use a flag with opkg, instead of overwriting a changed config it'll put it in a seperate directory, and list the files in the log. Am I right?
It does it by default, no special flag required, and puts them in the same directory with "-opkg" appended to the end of the file name, but basically yes, that's right.I got distracted by Halloween stuff last night, and will be tonight and tomorrow as well. If you have time to write such a script go ahead, else I'll do it Friday.

It does it by default, no special flag required, and puts them in the same directory with "-opkg" appended to the end of the file name, but basically yes, that's right.I got distracted by Halloween stuff last night, and will be tonight and tomorrow as well. If you have time to write such a script go ahead, else I'll do it Friday.
I started here:http://boards.openpandora.org/topic/14757-bash-running-zenity-from-variables/#entry285828/URL]

My filter was on "Download" there, just so I had some results. When I've finished the script, I'll mock up an upgrade.log and files to copy to give it a test, then post it for "approval", as my bash scripting might not be the best ;)

If so, I was thinking of a little script at the end that then let the user chose if they wanted to replace their customised configs with the new opkg downloaded versions (rather than them having to manually go find and copy them).
Ok I see.

Odd. It won't even boot?

I've just done another upgrade. Seems there was another kernel upgrade so I need to transpose that to my actual boot location, but I've done that and it still seems to be booting fine.

Back