Upgrading my WinXP 32bit system?

Is 64 bit really relevant to playing (old) games? Are there actually (even new) native windows games that come in a 64 bit version (only)?

Minecraft seems the odd one out there running Java where it might actually be neccessary to use the 64 bit VM to reliably get more than 1G heap size (though AFAIU minecraft architecture needing that is probably more an extension programming bug than a real requirement).

edit: IMO the security threat argument against XP isn't compelling (at least at this point in time), especially when applied to a gaming only system

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm staying with the old system, next stop: New GPU.

Can there be problems with the power drain?

My setup

Power: 420W

Athlon II 3x 2,9Ghz

1x HDD

1x BD-Drive

Maybe my old PCI-soundcard again soon (onboard sucks)

Which card would you suggest?

I want to buy a new one on monday, thinking about something from Nvidia (Linux drivers are better as I've heard?) that is not too loud and can make my old system as fast as possible in games and may be useful in a new system if I get one in the next years.

Price is not that important. There are still WinXP drivers, right?

Since I've decided against Windows7 (due to DRM), I've upgraded my system with a nice Nvidia card (GTX 750) that doesn't need much power and I'm amazed how well the games run now especcially in Linux after finally having been able to get the drivers straight.

I haven't been able to play a proper 3D game from the last 10 years until now since the drivers for my old Radeon were so crappy (for WinXP and Linux both) and now I just f***ing can't get this game to stutter no matter how high I crank up the graphics even when dozens of enemies are swarming at me?! And this in Linux, who would have thought this a few years ago?

Will try Dolphin and PCSX2 in Linux when I'm back in town. :)

Upgrading RAM has proven futile since there are no good big DDR2 bars available and the prices are ridiculous.

My CPU could handle DDR3 but I don't want to change my board and since most stuff is running great now anyway, there may be no need anymore.

What video driver are you using ? nouveau or an official one ?

While you are at it you should install RetroArch with libretro-super, that contains almost every emulation core around, and includes the mednafen PSX too

What video driver are you using ? nouveau or an official one ?

While you are at it you should install RetroArch with libretro-super, that contains almost every emulation core around, and includes the mednafen PSX too
It seems nouveau came with Mint 17 but it ran really bad, so at first I tried installing the official one from Nvidias own page which wasn't a good idea but then I just went with one of the packages from the repos and this worked really well.

"sudo apt-get install nvidia-346" to be exact, no idea how well 349 is running but I'm perfectly happy with the one I got now.

GameCube runs completely fluid now (although the version I got still has the ground flicker in Mario Power Tennis), Wii would need more processor power than my three 2.9Ghz cores as expected and PS2 runs about perfect, Shadow of the Collussus at least playable.

I'll give RetroArch a shot, I still need an PSX emulator that supports .pbp and a second controller, so far it was either one (ePSXe) or the other (PCSX).

Back