Upgrading PC Ram?

Garrett

Advanced Member
Thought I'd finished shelling out on PC upgrades, at least for the time being..

I'm looking to upgrade my Ram either swapping out or adding (if possible) this would it be compatible with my mobo: Gigabyte X58A-UD3R (1366)?

I've been told by some that I'll likely see a performance boost in (not all) games, but others have said not really who is right?

Both are DDR3 1.6Ghz, so you wont gain performance here.

The only chance it increase your gaming perf is if your box "swap" when gaming. There's probably a way to tell if it happen (but I dont know windows enough), but it sound doubtfull with 6Go of memory already

I'd be upgrading the RAM to at least 8GB however as sebt3 said you won't get much performance out of gaming..

I'd be looking at the GPU first.

6 GB is plenty for gaming.

If you want to upgrade, I would go and buy 2x8GB with higher clockspeed.

But you should be fine with 6GB right now.

I'm holding off on upgrades... need to get a large wad of cash to buy a Pyra.  oh...  and a ZikZak, of course...

Even though I should probably know better, still get suckered in by the requirements/recommended spec of upcoming PC games, the imminent Middle Earth: Shadow Of Mordor (looking great btw) being a case in point..

• Minimum:
  • Processor: Intel Core i5-750, 2.67 GHz | AMD Phenom II X4 965, 3.4 GHz
  • Memory: 4 GB RAM
  • Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 | AMD Radeon HD 6950
  • DirectX: Version 11
  • Network: Broadband Internet connection
  • Hard Drive: 25 GB available space
  • Recommended:
  • Processor: Intel Core i7-3770, 3.4 GHz | AMD FX-8350, 4.0 GHz
  • Memory: 8 GB RAM
  • Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670 | AMD Radeon HD 7970
  • DirectX: Version 11
  • Network: Broadband Internet connection
  • Hard Drive: 40 GB available space
I'm well over all recommended settings except RAM, but still always fret that I won't be able to 'max' out the game (even though I very rarely have performance issues with anything) pathetic I know, but old habits die hard I guess..

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't take my word for it, but i always had the feeling all these minimum specs weren't that accurate to begin with. Personally, I try to focus more on how my hardware actually handles newer games instead (if it's not too old by that point) and decide whether an upgrade is needed based on the performance.

But if i did have to upgrade, i would probably do the same as Noatz suggested and wait for the newer tech to become more available.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back