Going to upgrade my computer this weekend!!

Gp32 kirby don't listen to the above thats very bad advice... sorry for the delay in replying but am at work ;)

the 128meg is for registered ram he picked from simply is for server based computers. Hence its soo damn expensive. If he had looked a bit harder or knew anything about memory he would have found the following

512meg 2100 (266mhz) module for 58.74
512meg 3200 (333mhz) module for 64.61

just type 512 ddr as a search. can't directly link its about 4th or 5th

the gfx card he is suggesting is a pile shite, really old technology, be the same as whatever is in your current machine (possibly worse).

i'm guessing you wnat to play the latest games... so 9600 is what you want

anyway got to leave now or i'll miss my train ;) but i'll be home in an hour
and helop you pick the memory from the above 2 most suitable for your motherboard.

If you can work out the mootherboard make and model from your boot up sceens that'd be great ;)

Heh.... just remebered an easy way to get all your system info real easy.

go to run on your start up menu and type - DXDIAG

From the system tab it give me the following

system model - (this should give me your motherboard model)
memory

and from display

Name
Manufacturer
Chip type
memory

I found out my motherboard information another way.. I went to the Packard Bell website (yes, my computer's a Packard Bell, OK!??! <_<) and entered my computer SN, and found myself with a page with the list of all the stuff that comes with my computer (the mouse, keyboard, monitor, tower casing, motherboard, etc.)

Here's the page for my computer's motherboard and all of it's details, no doubt you'll have the info you need here to help advice me ;)

Columbia GX (GA-8SIML) Ver 1.0 µATX motherboard

Alright, with this information, please confirm to me which stuff (from simply.co.uk) I should order for my computer. Thanks :)

Oh and just to let you know; I know fitting in the upgrades manually is easier than having PC World to do it, but my older brother isnt convinced and he isnt too keen on doing it for me.. so much for a person who wants to be a car engineer when he's older <_< can I still get the upgrades from that simply site and have PC World to fit 'em in for me, or do they only fit in stuff bought from their place?

okay checked the motherboard out

u want a single stick of this 512meg 2100 (266mhz) module for £58.74

i'm presumbing it is ony currently using one slot as this motherboard only has 2 slots. How much mem has it currently got?

whats the full Hewlett Packard model number of your machine just curious to check the specs out..couldn't find it on the support site or via google by the model number you gave it > "I MEDIA 5083"

As to pc world fitting your own parts i seriously doubt it ;) They want you to buy stuff from them ;)

But you could try phoning them up or slip one of the monkeys in there 20 quid to do it for you ;) There not that bright u know :p

http://www.simply.co.uk/shop/Search.asp?qu...6+PC2100+MEMORY

Is this the memory module you are talkin about? If so then that's fine, I'll buy this along with the Radeon 9600 PRO. I'm going to phone PC World later today to enquire if they can fit in those things for me, if not then I can only hope my brother's gonna do it for me <_<

Oh and I gave you the full Packard Bell model number, it was all I could find.

Also, just so you know, my motherboard probably has two slots, since I have 192MB of DDR RAM right now (128 + 64 = 192MB), so I'll replace the 64MB RAM module with 512 one, and adding that with the 128 will make 640MB of RAM in total :)

Yeah thats the correct memory.

Just tell pc world you got the stuff bought it as a present or somthing and could they fit it as you don't want to invalidate your warranty ;)

Alright then, I'll phone them later today, cheers :D

I'll let you know if they'll allow to fit in the stuff or not

Ok phoned them, and enquired about the situation

According to the guy I was talking to, fitting in upgrades (not bought) in PC World will cost me cash: £45.99 for the first upgrade piece of hardware and £25.99 for sub-sequent pieces. I also enquired about fitting in upgrades manually, even though my computer's warranty doesnt allow opening the casing. He says that, as long as nothing is damaged inside, manually installing the hardware will not invalidate the warranty.

If this is true then I'll let my brother know about it.. just hope he's up to fitting in the stuff for me instead :unsure:

£72 for 15 minutes work... :blink: i'm in the wrong business :lol:

Yeah let your brother do it well unless you want to pay £75

its pretty easy providig you use a little common sense :p

1) Just make sure your earthed
2) Unplug the PC from mains
3) make sure you don't try ramming the ram in the slot wrong way round. Although you shouldn't be able to, believe me i have known of people to have managed to with a bit force and killed the motherboard.
4) Impotantly Take your time and read/follow the instrictions carefully ;)

Also when installing the radeon 9600 uninstall the drivers of your previous card.

tif your previous card was and nvidia or ati card then theres a very good program called driver cleaner http://www.driverheaven.net/cleaner/ this will remove all traces of your prvious gfx card installation. A lot of problems whn first installing a new gfx card are due to drivers not being uninstalled properly..

Thanks for the advice, though I dont understand what you mean by "earthed". You mean, on the ground with the tower during the installation operation?

Also I was searching for installing guides for the gfx card seeing my brother was asking me for ones (he's still not too keen on doing the job and wants me to find him easy-to-follow guides or instructions), here's a page I stumbled upon:

http://www.crucial.com/install/videocard7585.asp#tools

Can this guide be used for the Radeon 9600? I know it says it there but since it mentions other gfx card names I'm unsure, so check it for me and let me know ;)

Oh, and I have no previous gfx card installed... I thought I already mentioned this in the thread before :p

I'll see if I can order my upgrades later tonight... :)

Earth yourself by making sure your hand is touching the case, that will suffice.

Being ultra paranoid i tend to keep part of my body touching the metal case at all times :p

Heres a very useful how to on building a pc

Part 1 -http://www6.tomshardware.com/howto/20020904/index.html
Part 2 -http://www6.tomshardware.com/howto/20020918/index.html

Sky snapper you obviously dont know shit all i work with computers and ordered major amounts so you can fuck off sayin you know alot coz basically you have told aload of shit! I dont agree with wasting peoples money so gp32 kirby please dont take any notice hell end u up with too much ram for what you are doing therefore spending alot more money,Sky snapper u r quite cocky for a pc begginer arent u?

Sky snapper you obviously dont know shit all i work with computers and ordered major amounts so you can fuck off sayin you know alot coz basically you have told aload of shit! I dont agree with wasting peoples money so gp32 kirby please dont take any notice hell end u up with too much ram for what you are doing therefore spending alot more money,Sky snapper u r quite cocky for a pc begginer arent u?

Its true though he really doesnt know shit .whats thhis gotta do withh u dvdadsci you ass fucker dont think ure being stupid when u dont eithewr have a clue what ur on about?

Man... I shoulda had my comp upgraded back on last Saturday (look at thread topic name...) and from there on it's been a wild goose chase finding the right stuff, and now i'm being told skysnapper is wrong? How much longer do I have to wait before my computer actually gets upgraded?? :(

Oh and blipped - I aint takin advice from someone who bashes someone else three posts in a row.. even though two of them are repeated, you shoulda not added the extra post to top it off :angry:

Yeah blipped i don't know shit apart from having 10 years of experince working with PC's :p

I'm so having to resist flaming and belittling you :lol: but i wouldn't want t o be seen behaving in such a childish manner :p

Basically kirby said if you had bothered reading said he needs a setup to play unreal tournament 2003, he doesn't mind spending a few quid.

a radeon 9600 coupled with 512meg ram will see him be able to do that comfortably and keep up for with the current generation of games.

The card you suggested him ... a geforce mx440 old technology several years old now and would be no better that, that is in his current machine, considering its a 2ghz PIV, plus your suggesting he buys a TV card wtf :lol: Also you didn't know the difference between registered and non-registered ram :rolleyes:

Me thinks your in someway affiliated with the website you keep plugging...

Before people take you seriously try posting something a little more intelligble. I hope you manage to communicate to your customers in a more professional manner ;)

I think i'm (finally) going to get my stuff ordered today.. gotta do some unfinished work first before I can though (like clean my room, needless to say Christmas is just round the corner..)

Also I talked to my brother about what the PC World guy said over the phone, and he says that as long as fitting it in isnt too difficult, he'll do it for me :)

Back