Ur-Quan Masters

chickendung said:
A great port of Star Control 2, with more compatibility on many systems, why not include the Wiz?

You can find the source here:
http://sc2.sourceforge.net/downloads.php

Thanks for your interest!

Seconded, that game is pure awesomeness and the best of all: it's open-source.

If I only had programing skills... :(

Last edited by a moderator:
chickendung said:
I'm glad to hear it's on the GP2X, and that it's possible! I just need a developer willing to do it.

(I'm tempted to look at Pickle, but he has so much going on right now ;) )

It should be a very simple port, if anyone does it make sure they get the latest version (senor quack I think worked on it?)

Update: I just went ahead and did it.

Pickle said:
chickendung said:
I'm glad to hear it's on the GP2X, and that it's possible! I just need a developer willing to do it.

It should be a very simple port, if anyone does it make sure they get the latest version (senor quack I think worked on it?)

Downloading right now.

Thanks for everything dude, you're awesome

EDIT: I'm not an software/hardware expert but after a few minutes of gameplay this is what can I say:

Menus: runs perfectly, I don't see nothing wrong here
sound: goes perfectly, the music, the voices... everything
navigating: very smooth, no problems with the framerate
starmap: no problems here too
comunications/dialogs: runs smooth, no problems here
super melee: I only had two battles, all of them were fine, no problems with the framerate, very smooth
landing in planets: maybe is just my imagination... but it seems like it causes slopes with the framerate

In my honest opinion: it goes perfectly, thanks for the port and your time

P.D: Sorry for my hideous English

Pickle said:
chickendung said:

Pickle, you are the most awesome developer for the wiz. You have no problem fulfilling requests, and that is what makes you so great. Keep up the great work, and THANK YOU! :D

P.S.
Any chance of porting C-Dogs? http://dl.openhandhelds.org/cgi-bin/gp2x.cgi?0,0,0,0,30,1470

chickendung said:
Pickle said:
chickendung said:

Pickle, you are the most awesome developer for the wiz. You have no problem fulfilling requests, and that is what makes you so great. Keep up the great work, and THANK YOU! :D

P.S.
Any chance of porting C-Dogs? http://dl.openhandhe...0,0,0,0,30,1470

runs very fast, but the in game clock seems fine

Edit: I just think I must have that slowmotion set on my gp2x version, im going to upload to the archive
Edit2: its up, have fun!

Pickle said:
chickendung said:
Pickle said:
chickendung said:

P.S.

Edit: I just think I must have that slowmotion set on my gp2x version, im going to upload to the archive

Holy smokes. You did it again! Downloading right now, I'll post results.

One piece of feedback on Ur-Quan: The miner vessel portion of the game is quite slow. Is there an overclock function for the game to increase its performance? Thanks.

chickendung said:

One piece of feedback on Ur-Quan: The miner vessel portion of the game is quite slow. Is there an overclock function for the game to increase its performance? Thanks.

;-) Its not hard when things are done in SDL and no direct hw is used.

Theres no internal overclock, you either do it with gmenu2x or add a call to cpufreq in the ugm2x.gpe script. Theres an example in the quake2 script and a thread that goes into detail.

Pickle said:
chickendung said:

;-) Its not hard when things are done in SDL and no direct hw is used.

Theres no internal overclock, you either do it with gmenu2x or add a call to cpufreq in the ugm2x.gpe script. Theres an example in the quake2 script and a thread that goes into detail.

Is it easy enough to make ports that you could teach me? I hate to be pestering you for more ports. I have no programming experience, though.

EDIT: I've added the cpufreq line to the gpe file, but the lander still lags. I added the line right after the first line, and I set the frequency to 750, like Quake 2. Is that all I need to do? Perhaps the lag needs a cure more significant than just overclocking.

chickendung said:
Is it easy enough to make ports that you could teach me? I hate to be pestering you for more ports. I have no programming experience, though.

Well I been learning things since I had my gp2x. Like make sytems, from scons, autotools, raw makfiles. I also prefer SDL, so if your wanting to to start small try the Lazy Foo tutorials, although you might want to start with something that goes over C or C++.
I say it was simple since there was no source changes, and I had to just change the makefile info, but if you havnt had any experience with linux build process/toolchain setup you would be lost.

Pickle said:
chickendung said:

Well I been learning things since I had my gp2x. Like make sytems, from scons, autotools, raw makfiles. I also prefer SDL, so if your wanting to to start small try the Lazy Foo tutorials, although you might want to start with something that goes over C or C++.
I say it was simple since there was no source changes, and I had to just change the makefile info, but if you havnt had any experience with linux build process/toolchain setup you would be lost.

What do you have to change in the Makefile info? If I compare the gp2x info with one of your wiz infos, should I be able to discover the changes?

Is it easy enough to make ports that you could teach me?

Hey Pickle, why don't you do this? Publish your logs of a simple quick port, so people can see what you did to make it all work ..

Holy shit dude, you're a asskicking coding machine, simply awesome.

I don't usually ask for requests but... any chance of porting some atari 2600 emu like Stella?

http://dl.openhandhelds.org/cgi-bin/gp2x.cgi?0,0,0,0,71,1430

Thanks in advance

Pickle said:
chickendung said:
Pickle said:
chickendung said:

P.S.

Any way you could do a port of Open Beats of Rage for wiz? its already on the other GP2X systems? :eek:

I'm going to compare the make file info between gp2x and wiz and see if I can figure anything out. I'll post what I find.

Okay, so I tried to compare the makefile, but of course I don't know where it is, or what it is named, if it is even with the CDogs or Ur-Quan files. The gpe files between GP2X and Wiz are identical. I'd really like to see two files to compare so ordinary people might be able to make ports.

chickendung said:
I'm going to compare the make file info between gp2x and wiz and see if I can figure anything out. I'll post what I find.
Things to look for, I change the PREFIX or path to my toolchain and the toolchain name itself.
I removed any -static's we want to dynamically link
Removed any gp2x specific flags like cpu type
I may have slightly changed lib flags for the linker.
I also added a new define PLATFORM_WIZ for all the things specific to the GP2X I wanted to keep. If your using linux do a grep -r "PLATFORM_WIZ" * and you will find all the changes.
Thats all that comes to mind.

chickendung said:

Okay, so I tried to compare the makefile, but of course I don't know where it is, or what it is named, if it is even with the CDogs or Ur-Quan files. The gpe files between GP2X and Wiz are identical. I'd really like to see two files to compare so ordinary people might be able to make ports.

I just looked and when I did a clean my buildvars for the wiz got creamed...I have to redo it, i was going to recompile another version.

Back