Us Psp Launch Details

spray

PSP pwner
Website
Visit site
Here we go:

The PSP Value Pack will go on sale on March 24th and have a suggested retail price of $249.99 and include a 32MB Memory Stick Duo, headphones with a remote control, a battery pack, and a movie/music/video game sample UMD. They’re also tossing in a special UMD-version of the film Spider-Man 2 with the first one million PSP Value Packs sold.

Launch titles:

-- Ape Escape®: On the Loose, Sony Computer Entertainment America
-- ATV Offroad Fury®: Blazin' Trails, Sony Computer Entertainment
America
-- Darkstalkers Chronicle(tm): The Chaos Tower, Capcom
-- Dynasty Warriors®, KOEI
-- FIFA 2005, Electronic Arts
-- Gretzky(tm) NHL®, Sony Computer Entertainment America
-- Lumines(tm), Ubisoft
-- Metal Gear Acid(tm), Konami
-- MLB(tm), Sony Computer Entertainment America
-- MVP Baseball, Electronic Arts
-- NBA, Sony Computer Entertainment America
-- NBA Street Showdown, Electronic Arts
-- Need for Speed(tm) Rivals, Electronic Arts
-- NFL Street 2 Unleashed, Electronic Arts
-- Rengoku(tm): Tower of Purgatory, Konami
-- Ridge Racer(tm), Namco
-- Smartbomb, Eidos Interactive
-- Spider-Man 2(tm), Activision
-- Tiger Woods PGA TOUR®, Electronic Arts
-- Tony Hawk's Underground 2 Remix, Activision
-- Twisted Metal: Head On(tm), Sony Computer Entertainment America
-- Untold Legends: Brotherhood of the Blade, Sony Online Entertainment
-- Wipeout® Pure, Sony Computer Entertainment America
-- World Tour Soccer, Sony Computer Entertainment America

Press Release: Linky

The price and launch lineup doesn't sound bad at all! I'll definately pick one up.

They're not selling it on its own, so you have to pay for all that crap, then even more for a big enough memory card. Add that on and one game and you are paying at least $350 for a handheld. I thought they were trying to price it competitively with the DS.
And the launch games, man, could they get any more sports games? None of them interest me at all.

Kinda disappointed that mercury's not in the launch lineup, but oh well.

Untold legends, dark stalkers, Wipeout Pure, twisted metal, And dynasty warriors are a good enough reason to pick one up. Also can't wait for YS, Tales of eternia, and Infected.

(And to think, someone nearly convinced me to get a DS untill I realized it's "star titles" were a dateing sim and a mario port :p )

mr twit posted on Feb 3 2005 at 07:32 PM said:
They're not selling it on its own, so you have to pay for all that crap, then even more for a big enough memory card. Add that on and one game and you are paying at least $350 for a handheld. I thought they were trying to price it competitively with the DS.
And the launch games, man, could they get any more sports games? None of them interest me at all.

what are you chatting about?

the bigger memory card is only needed if you want to watch films. the 32mb one will do brilliantly for saves etc.

the larger memory card is not required to make it functional.

$250 + $50 game makes its a handheld by my maths, $50 less than yours!

the launch games look good to me, i'll be picking up THUG and Tiger Woods, possibly twisted metal and wipeout, then i'll be waiting for GTA and a good beat em up.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hehe, yesterday I applied for "www.psparchive.de"
Guess what this will be...? ;)

Sorry if I mistook "Feel the magic" for a dating sim instead of whatever sub-genre it's supposed to be in :p I just don't think a game with i-pod commercial silhouettes as characters is that spectacular. Just a personal preference. :lol:

And I agree, mario 64 WAS/IS a brilliant game, i'm just a bit saddened to see that they had so much time since the GBA was released to cook up something new and then just repackage another game from my past and sell it to me at today's prices.

Buuut back on the subject at hand, Can't wait for PSP and can't wait for the homebrew scene for it to emerge :D

not tooo bad. i'll cop me one with wipeout pure and mgs acid.

Eh?? Did I call it or did I call it!

bast525 posted on Feb 2 2005 at 04:37 PM said:
Another rumor branching out from gamestore speculation and that tentative english manual that was nabbed off the FCC website, is that the US may ONLY get Value Packs. It's well known that system launches in the US, since way back when the NES was around... never really have multiple choices of 'packs' or configurations. Most people had speculated that the US would only get the equivalent of the Japanese Standard Pack, which is just the system, battery and charger. This made the most sense. However the tentative US manual clearly lists all the items available in the Japanese Value Pack as being included, as well as including a special cloth for cleaning the screen.

So, it is very possible that there will ONLY be a Value Pack available for the US launch... if so the price will of course, be similiar to the Japanese Value pack, about $250. I'd definately bet money, one way or the other, that there will only be one way to buy the PSP when it comes out in the US... I'd still bet on it just being the 'standard pack' since this should keep it under the magic $200 mark and close to the DS... however the english manual is intriguing evidence to suggest the contrary.

I told you guys they were talking about the US release getting ONLY the Value Packs with all the extra crap for about $250, and no standard pack. Still worth it IMO though sticking people with the 32mb memory card sux.

Enslaved posted on Feb 4 2005 at 04:52 AM said:
I'm not getting a PSP anymore. It's too much money compared to the prices in Japan which usually charges MORE for their game stuff...

I'm very dissapointed in Sony.

Um... it's the same price as a Japanese Value Pack, and includes all the same stuff plus some (free demo, cleaning cloth). I agree that not giving us a choice for a 'standard pack' does kinda suck though...

Throwing in Spiderman 2 is a friggin sweet deal... VERY glad I preordered mine like a month ago. Of course I'm probably one of only 3 people in the world who doesn't already own the DVD :p

The only thing I wonder/worry about, is the issue I brought up in my other thread, and some people seem to have heard a bit more on this, about US versions (and seemingly, recent Japanese versions) coming with a lesser quality LCD.

It will be funny to see how the Nintendo fan boys trump up this announcement as the doom of the PSP in the PSP-DS war :p

When what it really means is that Sony doesn't even consider the DS as a comptetitor... they know they have the better product, and know they can get away charging $100 more for it. And that they will, as every PSP sells out on launch day and probably continue to be hard to get for a month or more down the road.

from a UK perspective the price is very attractive, however multinationals have a habit of just turning the $ to a £.

this would truly suck, currently its about £130 if you convert it, to nearly double it would be insane.

bast525 posted on Feb 4 2005 at 06:29 AM said:
Eh?? Did I call it or did I call it!

i stand corrected

$250 seems a bit high especially now that Sony made the screen dimmer.

Back