Us Psp Launch Details

$250 seems a bit high especially now that Sony made the screen dimmer.

And all you have to make that guess is a post by bast who probably got a dodgy unit.

(sorry that had to happen to ya bast, I have crappy luck with consoles of any brand too, my Gamecube broke, my GP32's frontlight resistor died, and my PS2 loves to jam the disc tray.")

2 dodgy units in a row are unlikely. I wonder if there will be a brightness mod?

$250 seems a bit high especially now that Sony made the screen dimmer.

the PSP is ~$100 more expensive than the DS. At the launch of the 'cube, the PS2 was ~$100 more... and we all know how the GC still turned out :lol: (don't worry I still love my Gamecube too.) but anyway.. even with the higher price the PSP could still easily triumph.. Plus, it not just a game system as it plays music and movies too(and not those shitty GBAVideo shits)

eh... it wasn't my unit with the problem, I have two friends (brothers) who both bought new PSP's just recently, at the same time of course... and their units, compared to mine (not mine anymore as I just sold it) were both as bright on the second, medium brightness setting, as mine was on the first (lowest) brightness setting.

This fell in line with rumors I've heard (and apparently, others have heard them as well) that Sony switched to a cheaper, different brand of LCD and that these LCD's were not of as high a quality. My PSP was one of the very first batch, they just got theres about a week ago. I saw mention on Ebay of how the US PSP's were all going to have this inferior LCD. I must say though, that other than the dimmer lighting, the screens seemed equal in quality. Also, neither of their units had dead pixels (mine had one, and another friend of mine who bought his at the same time as me, had three), and in general, their units seemed to be better put together.

Poor guy, one of the two brothers' units also came out of the box with 3 sizable hairline scratches on the screen, according to him (they checked them very thoroughly after I advised them how mine came out of the box with little problems like this). Though, just like mine, his had NO sign of ever having been opened or touched before he opened it. I REALLY hope Sony get their QA act straight by the time of the US launch.

And for all the Nintendo supporters trying to compare the PSP price to the DS, STOP. You are comparing apples to oranges. First off, the PSP is a far more capable machine... you can cover your ears (or your eyes) and shake your head in denial all you want but it doesnt' change the fact... you are paying more because you're getting more. Secondly, PSP is coming with quite a few more accesories than the DS comes with, which do help to justify the price difference as well, IMO. I bought a Value Pack, and most people who have bought import PSP's have as well. The accessories it comes with are useful, and I felt, worth the money. You guys are trying to compare a system with one demo, a stylus and a wrist strap to a system, one demo, a slip cover, a wrist strap, a memory card, and a VERY nice sounding set of headphones. And a free Spiderman 2 movie to boot. Hmm which is the better deal :p I say $100 extra for all those freebies plus a system that can play movies, mp3's, view photos, has true analog control and a bitchin widescreen is pretty damn worth it.

And to further what tekt5 said on the same matter, not only did PS2 outsell Gamecube even though it was higher priced, you have to figure the GC was also a more powerful machine. And STILL look how that turned out.

Another one sided arguement from the ultimate FANBOI

Sure the PSP has nicer graphics, but it is widely known that the accessories that come in the value pack are shite (see latest EDGE magazine, they say its deinately not worth the extra money)

The PSP has some good games and the DS has some good games, u always seem to completely ignore the fact that the DS has already sold a lot more

the reason PS2 suceed was because of an earlier launch and the PS1

the DS had the earlier launch and the GBA

TRY AND WEIGH UP BOTH SIDES BEFORE YOU START BITCHING ABOUT FANBOYS

btw, i am not being fanboyish like him for once i am providing the half of the arguement his post seemed to be missing

the eu release,as it seems,well be delayed a bit,prolly because of shortage of units.
and about the ds having already sold more,it's kinda dumb to compare sales seeing as how the psp isn't out in the us yet and is quite hard to find even in japan.so there.

whaaaa?! inferior lcds? on top of the higher prices!? damn you sony! damn damn damn!
and you KNOW the damn the units are gonna be crappy in build overall as well. sony just loves to make crappy consoles overall. and i agree the extra stuff that comes with psp value pack aren't worth it. if i'm going to buy a memory card, i'll get a higher storage one, and i'm sure as hell not going to spend $50 for a bloody cloth and headphones. and a sampler cd should be included w/o extra charge.

still, i'll buy it as soon as it comes(only preorder option is $400 that comes with a game i don't wanna pay for dammit). i'm still looking very forward to it.

look, it really is far too early to be deciding that the US psps will have inferior screens.

all this is based on is a couple that were produced in a batch in japan that bast has happened upon.

now lets just all screw our heads back on.

mattmagoo you're a tard.... you need to read a little bit more before you accuse me of being a fanboy...

do you see my sig?? if I'm such a fanboy, why do I own TWO DS's, and yet have just sold my PSP? hmmm yep I must be a fanboy.

DS has sold more because it's already been out for how many months here? In Japan, sales are very close and the last thing I heard was that the PSP has recently pulled ahead (that's what I HEARD, I'm not claiming to know that for a fact)... the only reason it had sold less up to that point is because shipments have been coming in low numbers, but no the PSP is really not that hard to get ahold of in Japan anymore... so supply has caught up with demand. I'd be surprised though, if by now IN JAPAN ALONE, the DS has sold more.

to say the PSP is more capable is to make me a fanboy? I'm not putting the DS down in any way, on it's own merits it's a good system, or else why would I still have two of them? I dont even think they can be compared at all... two different types of systems for two different markets and two different types of gamers (or guys like me who just love all video games).. that's why I say it's comparing apples to oranges. I'm stating FACT to say that the PSP is more capable... it has more features/functions, has better graphics and sound, true analog control stick, and more memory capacity in it's discs than the DS's one gigaBIT (not gigaBYTE) cartridges. There's also the fact that the PSP will release here with FIVE TIMES as many games to choose from as the DS released with, and as a matter of fact, is releasing with more DS games that are even available NOW 2 MONTHS after the DS's release.

If the accesories in the Value Pack are 'well known to be shite' then why are Value Packs still selling like crazy? I'm very happy with the accesories myself, the case and headphones in particular. I don't care what 'Edge' says... anyone here who owns a value pack seems to be pretty damn happy with it.

your argument is just as fanboyish as mine... I've already argued both sides of this argument in posts on this board... having OWNED BOTH SYSTEMS myself I feel I'm pretty damn well qualified to do just that.

You want to argue both sides of the arguement? What should I argue in favor of the DS? Oh that it has two screens (one of which rarely gets used for anything mroe than a map)? Or oooh that it has a touch screen (which gets easily scratched and really has yet to be put to much good use)? Or that it will have all the Nintendo exclusive greats (which, if the GBA has been any indicator, will be few and FAR between all the third party kid CRAP!)?

If I argue the PSP side stronger it's because of the simple fact that having owned both I find the PSP to be the better system with the better (and more... many, many more) games.... which seems to be pretty common for anyone who has even played, let alone owned, both systems. If that makes me a fanboy well then F you :p err I mean... well then so be it :D

spray posted on Feb 6 2005 at 12:18 AM said:
look, it really is far too early to be deciding that the US psps will have inferior screens.

all this is based on is a couple that were produced in a batch in japan that bast has happened upon.

now lets just all screw our heads back on.

Nah Spray, it's not just a rumour. It is well known fact:

Rob Fahey 11:08 29/03/2004
Massive supplier deal gives an insight into the scope of Sony's PSP ambitions

Sony has announced that electronics giants Samsung and Sharp are to provide the LCD screens for its forthcoming PlayStation Portable console, in a deal which could be worth up to €330 million annually.

An unnamed official from Japanese firm Sharp confirmed the deal to Bloomberg Japan, but declined to provide exact details of the order quantities - stating only that the scale of the contract was "huge" - which, in the context of a company as large as Sharp, is a meaningful statement in itself.

While officials from South Korean firm Samsung and Sony itself declined to comment on the supply contract, Samsung's last earnings statement in January mentioned a major project related to small LCDs which would make game consoles and PDAs, rather than mobile phones, into the largest target market for sub-10" screens.

IDC technology analyst Stanley Jeong told Bloomberg that the contract could be worth $400 million (€330 million) annually to the two LCD manufacturers, and could also create further opportunities for the supply of LCD control chipsets. The scale of the order - which is obviously an incredibly important deal for both companies, despite the fact that they are already world leaders in the LCD market - gives an insight into Sony's ambition for PSP, which the company has previously described as the 21st century's Walkman.

Link to quality: http://thepsp.blogspot.com/2005/01/sharp-v...lcd-screen.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Wait a second - that article says that BOTH Samsung and Sharp are providing the LCD screens. Does this mean the screen you get is entirely down to luck? Huxley don't like the sound of that.

My initial understanding was Japan gets SHARP, USA get SAMSUNG and who knows what the feck Europe gets.

But based on Bast's findings, who knows.

Maybe the SHARP screens have slow production, so to speed up getting PSPs onto the streets, SONY started putting SAMSUNG screens in Japan models. I dont know. I know litte of this.

Bast, get your mates to opn up their PSP anf check. :D

looks like europe will get screwed over again....

taken from ign news...

Europe Late For PSP Launch
SCE will slip its Q4 release plans overseas due to shortages.
By Nix

February 4, 2005 - Riding the backside of the rollercoaster that was yesterday morning's announcement of the PSP's release and price for North America, news source Bloomberg is reporting that Sony Computer Entertainment Europe has delayed the European release of the PlayStation Portable from the originally planned Q4 2004 release (which would have had the system release this March with the North American system.) Europe will now see the PSP release sometime this Spring.

Sony Computer Entertainment spokesman Kenichi Fukunaga attributes the delay to shortages of the hardware -- the system was notoriously difficult to produce in the quantities SCE originally had hopes for, and its hoped-for PSP launch of three million global units will now officially fall one million short. North America will see one million at launch, Japan has received approximately 800,000 systems since its December 12, 2004 release date.

The European launch has been said to be expected later in 2005 (dating back to a mention in October from SCE at the time of the Japanese launch announcement, but it hasn't confirmed how far back the release before now. There is still no indication how deep into Spring this release will be -- at the very least, however, Europeans will not see the system this March unless they import or travel abroad.

Back