USB 3.1 Type C connector is ready for production

A year or so ago I would have pointed you at Tiger Direct but looks like they've switched their stock entirely to microUSB. Looking online it looks to be getting difficult to find mini USB OTG adapters. Amazon.ca has a few that claim to be OTG adapters but I'm assuming the ones you bought off eBay also said they were OTG adapters but really weren't. Even mini->micro adapters are hard to find for cheap, else you could get a micro OTG adapter and a mini/micro adapter. USB mini is just... nowhere.

Only thing I could possibly suggest at this stage is to just go to the nearest Dollarama and buy a mini USB cable and a USB extension and splice your own OTG adapter.

I don't suppose there's a way to force the port to host mode in software? I could live with having to do that with my existing adapters.

I don't suppose there's a way to force the port to host mode in software? I could live with having to do that with my existing adapters.
There is, I just can't remember right now what that way is. I found reference that turning on "USB Networking" would do it, but I'm quite certain I remember a different, more obvious way as well, but I've forgotten it.

The adapters I bought on eBay were fine, but those listings aren't there any more. I'm sure some of the cheap ones will still be OK. Unfortunately, on most of these listings, the author seems to have very little idea what they are selling...

The adapters I bought on eBay were fine, but those listings aren't there any more. I'm sure some of the cheap ones will still be OK. Unfortunately, on most of these listings, the author seems to have very little idea what they are selling...
I had a similar idea so I've poked around and spent about $3 ordering a couple of adapters which make specific enough claims about their uses that I'll be able to threaten to file PayPal disputes if they don't work.

If none of those adapters are correct, I could send you one of mine.

When you said "both seem to have left the pin floating", do you mean that you measured the resistance between the pins?

Turning on "USB Networking" doesn't force the mini USB into host mode, but turning it off seems to disable the ability to go into host mode (as well as disabling the virtual Ethernet as you would expect).

If I connect two Pandoras with a Mini-A to Mini-B OTG cable, they can USB network with each other, and they select which is host and which is device according to which way around the cable is.

When you said "both seem to have left the pin floating", do you mean that you measured the resistance between the pins?

Turning on "USB Networking" doesn't force the mini USB into host mode, but turning it off seems to disable the ability to go into host mode (as well as disabling the virtual Ethernet as you would expect).

If I connect two Pandoras with a Mini-A to Mini-B OTG cable, they can USB network with each other, and they select which is host and which is device according to which way around the cable is.
I don't have test leads fine enough to measure the resistance (hence my use of the word "seem") but, about six months ago, I tried following some instructions for using the port in USB Host mode and couldn't get the Pandora to see any of the guest devices I tried. (rebooting each time, just to play it safe)

Dragging this thread back to its original topic, I found some actual data on the USB Type-C connector, including its pinout here:

http://www.encnn.com/design-training/USB%20type%20C%20%E8%BF%9E%E6%8E%A5%E5%99%A8.pdf

I just noticed that this thread got moved to "OffTopic". I suppose that is why I had to do a search to find it again, and given how the thread has strayed from its topic, perhaps it is an appropriate place for it now.

Last edited by a moderator:
If none of those adapters are correct, I could send you one of mine.

One of them arrived and it works. :D Unlike the other two I already had, when I plug a thumbdrive into it and then plug it into the Pandora, it Just Works™.

It's this item, in case anyone wants one for $2.

...and the other one I ordered works too. :) Not a huge surprise given that the listing describes the proper behaviour in quite a bit of detail... albeit, with the focus being on listing Sony Camcorders with which it's compatible.

At the moment, they seem to have misconfigured their shipping settings (It's basically set to "Worldwide shipping, except for all countries which exist on planet Earth.") but here's the listing. Like the previous one, it's $2 US but, for this one, I also had to pay $1 for shipping.

Looks like it ships to the US.  I can understand them not wanting to ship anywhere on the planet, especially Canada. :p    Many humans, and their governments, aren't too friendly.  I wonder how many shipments get lost in customs. 

http://gizmodo.com/sandisk-has-the-first-flash-drive-with-a-reversible-usb-1688533182

Best of both worlds by SanDisk?

qsgonscib7zycnkv37ut.jpg

z000003-USB-3.1-Typ-C-02.JPG

Usb3.1??

Lol...my thinking is:

The more tiny Connector the more defective Things in the Future:

-Soldering Problems that the connector is not good on the Boards

-more difficult to clean

-more connection Problems in the Future because Dust oder Dirt

-more defective Cables after long use

I never had Problems with USB and Mini USB but MicroUSB and such tiny Connectors are often a Problem.

Intermittend Contacts,breaked Connections and and and will Result is my meaning.

Usb 3 itself is good ^_^

faster is ever welcome too ^_^

But more tiny and breakable?

Renember the N900 Phone...its a Parade Example for breaked Micro USB Connectors :unsure:

The Industry force us to use such Connectors because they want to force us buy more Devices in the Future and make them not so stable.

And a new Connector need nearly ever new Hardware to buy. :huh:

Renember the N900 Phone...its a Parade Example for breaked Micro USB Connectors :unsure:
Bad device design, not bad connector design. If you find a whole bunch of devices with a certain connector where the connector always fails, its a different story. Otherwise I can easily say that the USB-B Connector has a horrible design flaw, as the one on my cheap chinese external BluRay-Drive is loose.

I have used/use devices with MicroUSB sockets on a daily basis (mobile phones) without any problems for years, but I can remember a lot of devices where the 3.5mm audio port wore out pretty quickly...

All in all, I hope that this certain connector will get into the market rather quickly, as it was at least designed to withstand more connects/disconnect and I don't have to think about orientation while plugging it in.

micro-USB was design for more insertion cycle than mini-USB which itself was design for more insertion cycle than regular USB...

smaller is not always equal to more fragile...

I've yet to see a micro-USB connector failing by itself. every defect I saw were broken solder on the PCB.

Back