Usb 3G Adapter

kev187

Hey Everyone... now that these Pandoras of ours are shipping???

Can I use one of these with it? http://support.t-mobile.com/main.html?selectedDeviceId=6408&manufacturer=T-Mobile&navtypeid=6&prevPageIndex=2

It says, mac/windows support, but how hard would it be to get the Pandora to work with it?

Thanks again everyone & sorry if I asked an old questions :)

webconnect-jet-usb-laptop-stick-tmobile_pdi.gif

TitanUranus said:
Aren't T-Mobile and 3G different/competing organisations?

Nope T-mobile is the provider, 3G is the download speed :)

Last edited by a moderator:
3G is a standard. If you're British, perhaps you're thinking of 3? ;)

EDIT: Ninja'd. :ph34r:

kevin J said:
TitanUranus said:
Aren't T-Mobile and 3G different/competing organisations?

Nope T-mobile is the provider, 3G is the download speed :)
OH my.

Last edited by a moderator:
As near as I've been able to tell, most 3G sticks act like tty devices and accept standard modem commands. The newer versions of connection manager have 3G support, which I'm pretty sure the Pandora has. If the 3G stick is a real USB2.0 high speed device, then it has a very good chance of working on the Pandora. All you need is the init string. The init string is a special command that tells the modem how to identify itself on the network, basically. It varies between providers, and the connection manager should have a large list of providers for you to select from, but if your provider isn't available you may be able to add it by searching the web.
A quick google search shows that the T-Mobile WebConnect Jet is supported by Linux with a usb_modeswitch hack.

I dunno.. I dont even have a mobile phone - I hate them. I just thought 3G was a mobile company like... er... Mercury Phones or something. Guess I'm behind with the times. Now it's late and I must go put another 78rpm on the gramaphone to help me get to sleep. :huh:

I'm quite sure it will work out of the box, and be able to connect via a recent version of NetworkManager. I use this functionality almost every week on my Linux laptop with a Huawei 3G modem. My modem appears to be a High Speed USB2 device so will work without needing a hub, this is good news. In recent versions of NetworkManger or the kernel, I haven't even had to use usb_modeswitch (which tells the computer to not see it as mass storage and see it as a modem instead) before I can get it working. Like I said, I'm sure the situation will be similar on the Pandora and having NetworkManager is a good thing for this.

Back