Usb - Accelerometer

thantik

Still Fresh
CODE
http://www.harbaum.org/till/tiltstick/index.shtml

Schematics for a USB accelerometer.

Figured you guys could have some fun discussing the possibilities. I know some have stated they wanted to hook up a Wiimote to the pandora but aiming at that tiny screen seems painful and this could fill the other gap of accelerometer use (even though its only 2 axis)

CODE
http://i41.tinypic.com/2moxnp2.jpg

I *really* wish someone could take this and turn it into this form-factor.
Cool thing is that its implemented in software - and it actually registers as a USB HID Joystick device so programming for it would be dead-simple, you would just have to figure out which joystick was which. Calibration would also be um...fun.

Would be really awesome if there was a way to auto-rotate the screen with this approach as well. (btw, anyone know if we will have a hot-key set in the pandora for this from-developers? or if we will have to hack and slash it in there ourselves?)

You do know you don't have to aim the wiimote? If you don't bother with the IR sensor then it's essentially the same as this, without the usb tether.

As for an internal/tiny version, I'd suggest something like an I2C accelerometer connected to some of the free gpio pins and bitbash them in software. Lower part count, and cheap. Sparkfun has a nice one on a breakout board for $20.

I built one of harbaums original tilt dongles back in the day, and yes, it was a right pain to solder to. Of course, I didn't use any of the appropriate techniques, just soldered wires direct to the chip. Do you know just how much surface tension solder has? *shudder*

Last edited by a moderator:
'pelrun' said:
You do know you dont have to aim the wiimote? If you dont bother with the IR sensor then its essentially the same as this, without the usb tether.

I figure Im gonna have the pandora out and in my hands anyhow - just figured the schematic and idea would be interesting to the correct people. Some were mentioning using a Wiimote with the pandora - I figured this would free up the hand.

In reply to PSY - no that isnt a picture of an accelerometer - Its actually a bluetooth adapter, I was merely stating my wishes that someone could take the first URL - and turn it into a small enough form factor to be fit into the packaging or similar to the image provided in the second url.

AND HOLY CRAP SOMEONE FIX THE APOSTROPHE BUG!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back