USB Arcade Stick for Pandora

Oh wow. No. You do not want something like that. Take it from a guy who builds arcade machines as a hobby. ;) The only proper arcade stick is a custom one made with arcade-quality parts (by either you or someone else). That thing you posted is definitely not arcade quality and will not provide desirable performance. The easy way is to buy one pre-made. X-Arcade offers a decent-quality 1 player unit, though there's definitely better sticks. Realistically, the best way to get quality and a lower price point is to build it yourself. It's really quite easy if you take the planning slowly and carefully. I'd recommend reading some material on the Build Your Own Arcade Controls site, as that's the best place to learn about arcade stick building.

Of course, you could just buy an X-Arcade stick, but where's the fun in that? :p

As good as a ready-to-buy arcade controller can get, I really recommend you making your own arcade controller
http://arcadecontrols.com/arcade.htm
I was around 13~14 years old when I made it, and it's still functional today :) it was based off a regular usb controller, I just made the case and soldered the buttons to the contacts on the controller. (basically, you just move where the short happens, where the button really connects both contacts on the original controller). I had no previous soldering skills, and for that age, you know it shouldnt be hard to anyone :)
It was a great thing for me to look into electronics (and most certainly, one of the reasons I ended up studying electric engineering later on :p)

controlescj6.jpg

the looks isnt that great, but believe me, they play real great!
design is really important, so really take your time to think what's the best for you. Even after looking at all those controller designs, I really knew I wanted 4 straight buttons for neogeo gaming, but I wanted them in-line. with 8 buttons, I have 4 in line for neogeo and 3+3 for games like marvel vs capcom. I choose then in-line because I think some designs that try to make up to your fingers length end up weird and not that comfortable. Also, I chose two separate players because it's not always that you want to play standing, sometimes you just want to put them in your own lap and play :)
anyway, get inspired by others design, and make your own. either if it's for the pandora or a regular computer/laptop in mind, you can be sure you will have lots of fun and lots of nice things to get learned by making it. needless to say it's a pleasure to have your own work done :oops:

Or if you didn't want to tackle building one from scratch, I'd recommend get a dreamcast arcade stick, or a namco playstation 1 stick, you can usually find these pretty cheap (£35 is about an average price to pay) and they are both excellent, you could also choose to replace the buttons and stick with higher quality ones if you fancied a bit of modding, but they are still amoung, if not the, best sticks available for the price.

Back