USB Controllers on the Pandora?

b1ueskycomp1ex

Open Sauce Fanatic & AMD Fanboy
Website
https
Now, I know the pandora has USB 2.0 Functionality, but it doesn't have 1.0/1.1 Legacy functionality? So, is there any way at all I would be able to use my SNES/Genesis clone USB controllers on the Pandora? How much less portable would this make the console, and if not, what good is the USB port :|

Also, I'll soon have the money to order one of these bad boys. I'll probably be dropping the cash for one sometime next month.

Regarding the USB port, you need to use a USB 2.0 High Speed hub to connect USB 1.0/1.1 devices. Any other type of hub will not work. I use one of these myself (ignore the ludicrous price tag there - that's just the result of third-party sellers), which, when connected, does little more than extend the cable of what you're plugging in by a little bit, thus not impacting the portability much at all.

Beyond that, the USB port is apparently quite good for compatible USB 2.0 3G dongles (and many other things, but this is the first major one that springs to mind), which I understand most new ones are at this point.

Last edited by a moderator:
Now, I know the pandora has USB 2.0 Functionality, but it doesn't have 1.0/1.1 Legacy functionality? So, is there any way at all I would be able to use my SNES/Genesis clone USB controllers on the Pandora? How much less portable would this make the console, and if not, what good is the USB port :|

Also, I'll soon have the money to order one of these bad boys. I'll probably be dropping the cash for one sometime next month.
My Hub was a powered one so made it quite less portable but my usb controllers worked fine ( I used a psx - usb converter) so yours should work

http://www.stuff-uk.net/p-815001.aspx?affiliateid=10050

Something like that should work? looks pretty small and would be good.

in terms of power it's not needed, not even for a 360 controller, which surprises me a little, those things have to suck lots of juice for the fancy flashing lights :D

in terms of power it's not needed, not even for a 360 controller, which surprises me a little, those things have to suck lots of juice for the fancy flashing lights :D
I have a powered one because I had it already to run lots of hard drives into my media center, (now using a nice NAS box) so was spare, when I get my pandora back I will be getting an unpowered one, I think controllers I hope the xbox wireless controller reciever will be ok without powered hub

I think controllers I hope the xbox wireless controller reciever will be ok without powered hub

pretty sure they work fine, i've had the servo control adapter, and wireless 360 adapter connected through a hub at the same time, can't remember if i actually tested the 360 controller with other things aswell, but it lit up and paired ok, so see no reason why it shouldn't work fine, haven't tested without the hub btw...and probably won't

You can use a Wiimote with a Pandora. Granted, I don't think anyone's made a GlovePIE or similar for it yet, but it's possible.

pretty sure they work fine, i've had the servo control adapter, and wireless 360 adapter connected through a hub at the same time, can't remember if i actually tested the 360 controller with other things aswell, but it lit up and paired ok, so see no reason why it shouldn't work fine, haven't tested without the hub btw...and probably won't

Thought I'd check this and yes they pair fine with an unpowered hub but they dont work direct. The receiver flashes when the button is pressed only, wont stay lit and wont pair.

Don't forget, the OTG port is also a USB 1.1 host port, it just needs an appropriate adapter

Ok, that one's kind of expensive, but there are other ones to be had for quite cheap.

You can use a Wiimote with a Pandora. Granted, I don't think anyone's made a GlovePIE or similar for it yet, but it's possible.
There is wminput, and it's in the Ångström repository.

Code:
sudo opkg install cwiid
:)

Thought I'd check this and yes they pair fine with an unpowered hub but they dont work direct. The receiver flashes when the button is pressed only, wont stay lit and wont pair.

the reciever is a usb 1.1 device, it's a bit of a pain not having the 1.1 host on the main usb port, maybe someone will build a minimal adapter for that one, or if anyone knows a good source of otg adapters they should work aswell...as long as not a lot of power is needed

the reciever is a usb 1.1 device, it's a bit of a pain not having the 1.1 host on the main usb port, maybe someone will build a minimal adapter for that one, or if anyone knows a good source of otg adapters they should work aswell...as long as not a lot of power is needed
http://www.aliexpress.com/product-fm/393959939-Free-Shipping-50pcs-lot-OTG-Host-Cable-USB-female-to-mini-USB-male-Adapter-For-Nokia-wholesalers.html

http://www.aliexpress.com/product-fm/381330494-Free-Shipping-Nokia-Genuine-Adapter-Cable-for-USB-OTG-CA-157-for-C3-Touch-Type-C6-wholesalers.html

something like one of these should work?

Wait what? I didn't know the pandora couldn't handle any usb device < 2.0

Why is that?

I was hoping I could just plug in my ps2-2-usb converter and have a go playing games without some usb-hub in between

These wont work until you destructively open it up and connect the ID pin to ground. Not fun task and it doesnt look that nice after it. This just my personal experience :p

*ponders* Yeah, I can see that that could make things difficult then. *wry smile* As a matter of interest was your experience with that particular item and from that vendor? :) I've bought items from there before which turned out to be a lot easier to open and close than I would have expected... Out of curiosity, I've decided to purchase one and find out for myself. :)

- Neelix

Back