Usb Host

kevtufc

Still Fresh
Ok. So I want to buid myself a cable to attach USB host devices. There's a page on the wiki, but it seems a little confused.

What I want to know is: If I just wire up a lead from the right pins on the ext plug to the right pins on a usb socket, will this work or not? Sometimes, I read that it will and other times I read that I'll have to put some other stuff in too.

(I have a very recent GP2X, bought only two weeks ago)

If you just want to run low speed devices, like a single mouse, then you dont need the filter circut. But if you want to connect your GP2X to a hub, the filter becomes nessaccary becasue of the increased speed. The schematic calls for 47pF capacitors, but I used 22pF instead and it works fine. Try to get the resistors as close as possible, within 10% I'd say.

[edit] So the mk2 has the filter circut built in? I know on my mk1, when running just a mouse everything was fine (1.5 Mbps) but when I connected a hub (12Mbps) it stoped working, but the filter fixed it.

I think you should have the filter for both, if by filter you mean the circuit components required on the data line. I thought the biggest difference between the mk1 and mk2 when making a USB cable is that the mk2 provides 5V on the EXT connector and the mk1 only has 3.3V, so you need to get 5V using a step-up convertor or another voltage source (i.e. batteries, separate power adapter, etc.).

I have an MK2 with the 2.0.0 firmware (just got it) and I have a SD card that I can load with files and use when I plug it into the MK2. But I have not been able to get the machine to work when I plug the USB into my computer. I have read thru the FAQ's and looked at the setting menu to see what combinations I could try but so far my windows box just complains that the USB device is unrecognized. I would not mind using the SAMBA server with the IP over USB but even that does not appear to be configured correctly on my part. I have checked the windows box for the ndismp.sys and the usb8023.sys files and they appear in the correct place. Can someone give me a hint as to what I am missing? :blink:

Gary Miller posted on Sep 23 2006 at 02:31 PM said:
I have an MK2 with the 2.0.0 firmware (just got it) and I have a SD card that I can load with files and use when I plug it into the MK2. But I have not been able to get the machine to work when I plug the USB into my computer. I have read thru the FAQ's and looked at the setting menu to see what combinations I could try but so far my windows box just complains that the USB device is unrecognized. I would not mind using the SAMBA server with the IP over USB but even that does not appear to be configured correctly on my part. I have checked the windows box for the ndismp.sys and the usb8023.sys files and they appear in the correct place. Can someone give me a hint as to what I am missing? :blink:
The simple solution is to use a different usb cable. The one that comes with the unit is crap.

Last edited by a moderator:
subcon959 posted on Sep 23 2006 at 09:56 AM said:
Gary Miller posted on Sep 23 2006 at 02:31 PM said:
The simple solution is to use a different usb cable. The one that comes with the unit is crap.

Thanks ... I had not tried that and IT WORKS ... well it looks like I am going out to get another cable. I stole the one off my USB powered hard drive so I will need to replace it. Thanks for the reply.

spoyser posted on Sep 23 2006 at 03:58 PM said:
I had same problem, changing USB port fixed it for me, who knows why!!

I got another cable and it is just as busted as the one shipped with the unit. So my external USB powered hard drive is still without a cable. Going out again ......

Ok got a new cable BELKIN and it works so I am going to toss the one that came with the GP2X and the 2nd one I got. I don't see any use the ones that do not work for the GP2X other than they might work for low speed devices, but so will the better ones.

Back