Usb Hub

oryhara

Still Fresh
I believe I read somewhere that if you use a powered usb hub, you dont need to do any hardware modifications to the GP2x to be able to use usb devices (i.e. external hdd/wifi dongle). I'd like to make sure this is correct before I go out buying stuff ;) . So if anyone can confirm this (or tell me I'm completely wrong and a loony), it would be greatly appreciated.

I'd have searched, but both "USB" and "hub" are too short to search for. :rolleyes:

Edit: Oh, and while I'm here (though this question isn't specifically gp2x related), is there a such thing as a battery powered wifi dongle?

oryhara posted on Aug 25 2006 at 08:57 PM said:
I believe I read somewhere that if you use a powered usb hub, you dont need to do any hardware modifications to the GP2x to be able to use usb devices (i.e. external hdd/wifi dongle). I'd like to make sure this is correct before I go out buying stuff ;) . So if anyone can confirm this (or tell me I'm completely wrong and a loony), it would be greatly appreciated.
You need to terminate 2 usb lines and run a ground line. That is 3 wires. Then use a powered USB hub (I have posted a jillion times about the one that does 4 AAA batteries, or use a wall powered one). Basically either use the termination schematic in the wiki, or the termination chip I found on mouser.com (search my old posts). And you need to find the EXT style connecter for the bottom (DO NOT connect devices to the side port, it is only for connection to a PC or other type computer, not devices).
I'd have searched, but both "USB" and "hub" are too short to search for. :rolleyes:
yes, if you are familiar with google, use the phrase site:www.gp32x.de and then type what you want to search, it will only show results from this site.
Edit: Oh, and while I'm here (though this question isn't specifically gp2x related), is there a such thing as a battery powered wifi dongle?
?? never seen one, doesn't mean they don't exist, all you have to do is make a battery pack and add a regulator circuit set to 5 volts (the simplest and cheapest way to do that is to harvest the insides of one of the cigerette lighter 5 or 4.5 volt adaptors for CD players, it is a tiny circuit and usually a heatsinked 5 volt regulator. It will run off of anything over 6 volts, so 4 Alkalines or 6 NiMH for example, be creative).

Why do I answer so many of these? Can there be a way for mods to kill these, or auto-post them into the proper thread? PS, is it possible to put a simple google.com site search link on the search page?

Last edited by a moderator:
nubie posted on Aug 26 2006 at 06:31 AM said:
yes, if you are familiar with google, use the phrase site:www.gp32x.de and then type what you want to search, it will only show results from this site.
And now you can point people here, simple but effective.

nubie posted on Aug 26 2006 at 06:31 AM said:
Why do I answer so many of these?
Coz you're a good person, tough job but someones got to do it :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back