USB Joypads tutorial on video.

worzyl

I have had this machine for 6 months and still cannot get any USB joypads working. For whatever reason - it just doesn't seem like a very straightforward procedure, despite some of the threads I have come across.

If any of you guys/gals could do a short video tutorial on how to get these devices working or if you know of any video's on youtube that already does this, I'm sure that many people like myself would be very grateful.

I bought a generic PC USB Joypad, but I also have a PS3 Joypad and an XBOX 360 pad too. I have a USB hub with 4 ports. I also downloaded Rejoystick but didn't get it working.

At some point I managed to get some functions working on the PS3 and PC pad but if I remember correctly it was only the dpad.

Xbox 360 pad won't work since it needs specific drivers. 

Generic USB pad and PS3 pad should work (as long as you connect the PS3 pad via USB, not wireless). Yeah only the D-pad would work anyway, are you trying to use the analog pads too ? Probably most emulators don't support analog inputs (except maybe PCSX Re Armed)

You need to configure your USB pads in each separate emulator to make them work, once they are connected and powered through the USB port. and of course the USB port should be enabled on Pandora, in the settings. 

I only managed with the dpad working but the fire buttons did not register(PS3/PC pad). That's when I downloaded rejoystick but could not make any sense of it.

I only managed with the dpad working but the fire buttons did not register(PS3/PC pad). That's when I downloaded rejoystick but could not make any sense of it.
Did you set up the fire buttons in each emulator you were using ? They wouldn't work if they are not set up in each application. 

And what's rejoystick ? It's not on the repo...

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice but these drivers from 2010 are ancient. I tried to compile the latest ones, and it's not too hard but there's one dependency that's giving me trouble...
So what if the drivers are old? If they work, they work.

Nice but these drivers from 2010 are ancient. I tried to compile the latest ones, and it's not too hard but there's one dependency that's giving me trouble... 
I have an XBOX360 controler, so I may try something here sooner or later.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd like to have X360 compatability, I'd be able to attach my arcade fight stick then! I got most use out of it playing Sensible Soccer (the Xbox Live edition)

QJoyPad has always made things easy for me to get my pads working in emulators that do not support them:

http://repo.openpandora.org/?page=detail&app=qjoypad-001

I can easily help walk you through it if you can just let me know what game/emulator you are trying to run.

Notaz's emulators tend to work without needing QJoyPad. Mupen works without it after correctly writing a config for your specific pad. This includes analog sticks for both. Games like Mari0 are really fun with external controllers, and analog sticks work just great.

Most other programs I will map things out in QJoypad.

PanMAME also supports joysticks directly. Just set them up in the options menu.

QJoyPad has always made things easy for me to get my pads working in emulators that do not support them:

I can easily help walk you through it if you can just let me know what game/emulator you are trying to run.

Notaz's emulators tend to work without needing QJoyPad. Mupen works without it after correctly writing a config for your specific pad. This includes analog sticks for both. Games like Mari0 are really fun with external controllers, and analog sticks work just great.

Sorry for the late reply.

The emulators I would like to use are the following:

FBA and Capex fe​
Snes 9x ex+​
mame4all​
Panmame​
 ​
It would be very helpful if the forum members and myself are able to use Qjoypad?​
Would you plan on doing a video tutorial?​
 ​
 ​

Sorry for the late reply.

The emulators I would like to use are the following:

FBA and Capex fe​
Snes 9x ex+​
mame4all​
Panmame​
 ​
It would be very helpful if the forum members and myself are able to use Qjoypad?​
Would you plan on doing a video tutorial?​
 ​
 ​
I would definitely make a tutorial, but I don`t have much experience with arcade games. Give me some time to look into those and I will try to plan out something for the wiki.

Oh - I never knew that the set up would be different for arcade games.

Would Qjoypad set ups for other emulators such as Amiga, ST etc be different too?

The idea for qjoypad is that it can easily map external pad buttons to keyboard presses. This allows you to link the USB pad button presses to something the emulator expects. Saving different profiles for different games/emulators is supported.

I can make a tutorial on how to setup a generic usb gamepad with PanMAME if this would be of any help.

^^^ Thanks, mcobit. I will start writing something for QJoyPad, SNES, and Mupen.

Back