Usb Joystick And Keyboard Application Support

jwh1977

Still Fresh
I bought a GP2X F200 console some months ago for emulation purposes and have found it to be amazing value for the number of games I've managed to get working on it.

I bought a cradle and use TV out with a couple of wireless USB joysticks to play two player Megadrive games and SNES games.

I'm really keen on a lot of MSX, C64 and ZX Spectrum games too - but unfortunately I've come unstuck getting these to work with the cradle correctly.

If I use the TV out lead direct from the GP2X console - no problem. But, if I wish to use the USB controllers and a USB keyboard (especially useful for the old computers) then the emulators don't support these input devices.

Has anyone found a solution to this problem?

The software I'm running is VICE, Fmsx and I'm not sure which version of the Speccy emulator - I'll add it later. Oh and also UAE4ALL the amiga emulator.

Alternatively - is there an application that can map USB controller button presses to key presses OR GP2X button presses so I can re-map the controllers button calls outside the emulator and hence fool it into working with the USB controllers.

Hope that makes sense - Any advice would be appreciated. I have to say both Picodrive and SquidgeNEs have fantastic USB controller support.

Cheers!

I know what you are talking about. What we really need is an app like "joy2key" for the GP2X. An app that runs in the background mapping the GP2X's inputs to a connected USB joystick. This would solve the problem of using a USB joystick with apps that do not have native USB joystick support.

As for keyboards, I think the only solution is for the emulator author to incorporate this, which would also mean he/she would need a cradle or some other way of getting USB to the device to test.

That said, I would die for USB keyboard support on many of the computer emulators such as C64.

Thanks for your replies!

I have a logitech USB mouse and keyboard that work with the GP2X no problem. In fact the USB controllers I have are Saitek Wireless and in the Snes and Picodrive emulators - the devices are recognised perfectly and drivers loaded appropriately.

But sadly - no VICE support DOH! Or fmsx Or Speccy for keyboard or USB controllers. I agree - a joykey type application would be great - there used to be a joykey app for windows - and I have seen one somewhere for linux, BUT - it probably wont be any good because we dont really need joystick to key press - its really joystick to GP2X button press - so I don't think it'd be any use if I did hunt it down.

I hope someone comes up with a solution - as for the GP2X to be useful as a multi platform emulator for home entertainment - it kind of limits the unit to being handheld only; which is a shame considering a Cradle docked device would last a lot longer and not suffer from the wear and tear of regular use.

Cheers! Jamie :blink:

Duddyroar said:
I'd love to see more emulators that support USB pads!
I know this is a bit of an ask, but is there a list out there somewhere of the popular emulators, with a list of what USB devices they currently support, such as mouse/keyboard/ USB Gamepad?

For example, do any of the 8-bit emulators support a keyboard?

Last edited by a moderator:
KarmaKid said:
Duddyroar said:
I'd love to see more emulators that support USB pads!
I know this is a bit of an ask, but is there a list out there somewhere of the popular emulators, with a list of what USB devices they currently support, such as mouse/keyboard/ USB Gamepad?

For example, do any of the 8-bit emulators support a keyboard?

I agree - I've fallen away from my Gp2x recently but being able to play the speccy and C64 games with a USB keyboard would rock

Hope someone can help

Last edited by a moderator:
Back