USB to Parallel Printer Cable

The stock OS seems to be missing a few bits though. Just sticking a configured cups in there doesn't help any programs to find printers.

The stock OS seems to be missing a few bits though. Just sticking a configured cups in there doesn't help any programs to find printers.

This may sound like an odd thing to say but did you have a driver for the printer?

Before I could print to my Canon printer from my netbook via cups I needed to install a custom driver. Thankfully Canon publish linux drivers for their printers on their website. (with .deb and .rpm packages as well as a source tarball)

- Neelix

Yes, I could print a test-page from the local web interface, and the cli tools that comes with cups detected the printer. But none of my GUI-programs saw it.

I don't know anything about cups,i have epson dx5000 usb one,how can i connect it and install the driver and confused about the cups.

CUPS is, put simply, the software which programs in Linux (and other OSes, such as Mac OS X) use in order to interface with printers.

Without CUPS working properly, you're not going to get anywhere with your printer, basically. :p

EDIT: Ninja'd by Gruso. :ph34r:

Last edited by a moderator:
So the pandora has linux that mean it must have cups installed already and ready use for printers.

In order to use printers we need to install printer driver first then we connect the printer using usb cable,so how can the printer driver be installed.

cups is not shipped with the stock OS, probably to reduce size of the firmware.

I have gotten cups to work on the pandora, but no programs can find the printer (except for my midori build so far), but midori prints with very messed up fonts. This is not a driver issue, this is either more stuff missing from the firmware or the programs compiled without printing support.

Back