Usb Tv Tuner Card Drivers

Fox_

Still Fresh
Has anyone tried their hand at writing drivers for one of the usb tv tuner cards yet?

I rate that as a useful item for sure..

~Fox

Fox_ said:
Has anyone tried their hand at writing drivers for one of the usb tv tuner cards yet?

~Fox
I just wonder though because if you had it connected to a computer it might be a bit easier to just dvr the shows and convert to play on your device though admittingly it would be something to brag about.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a long commute daily to and from university next year, I thought that perhaps I could catch the morning news while on the train if I could use a usb tv card.. wouldnt go unused, I can tell ya that.

Fox_ said:
I have a long commute daily to and from university next year, I thought that perhaps I could catch the morning news while on the train if I could use a usb tv card.. wouldnt go unused, I can tell ya that.
ahh, well thats actually very good reason to want it. hmm.. If I was only a programmer I would definetly try that out.

This is indeed a cool idea. I wonder how much power that would drain though. You can certainly not have that device run on the gp2x batteries. But that shouldn't be a problem for a real geek ^^.

Fox_ said:

~Fox
It would be rather cool... And, I'm fairly certain that the GP2X has MPEG4 encoding abilities in hardware.

OK, nevermind. The description for the SoC the GP2X uses can only encode JPEGs in hardware. It would be a rather large pain to encode an MPEG4 video in software at, or faster than, real-time. I don't know if this could be done feasibly...

Hmm..

What I originally planned was for my main pc to automatically download a few news related podcasts/vidcasts each morning and whatever stuff I might wanna read while commuting and dump it on an SD card that I can grab as I run out the door.

I guess I can set it up to record the news for me and save that to the card as well. (I have 3 systems that use sd's, my mp3 player, my pda and soon (when it damn well arrives!) the gp2x. As I get newer and larger cards, they get handed down to the next device, I have some smaller ones I can use for daily stuff)

~Fox

It would be rather cool... And, I'm fairly certain that the GP2X has MPEG4 encoding abilities in hardware.

OK, nevermind. The description for the SoC the GP2X uses can only encode JPEGs in hardware. It would be a rather large pain to encode an MPEG4 video in software at, or faster than, real-time. I don't know if this could be done feasibly...

Actually mpeg2 on the fly is a lot more possible to encode in real time on the gp2x since it requires less processor speed and the gp2x is definetly capable with the two cores on it for encoding. Probably could set it up to encode video on one core and the sound on another... Curious..

I guess I can set it up to record the news for me and save that to the card as well. (I have 3 systems that use sd's, my mp3 player, my pda and soon (when it damn well arrives!) the gp2x. As I get newer and larger cards, they get handed down to the next device, I have some smaller ones I can use for daily stuff)

~Fox

I noticed your comment about play-asia. I had good luck when I got mine, but sometimes online stores can just drop the ball.

DBH said:
Most television broadcast material uses mpeg2 as a wrapper for the other formats so mpeg4 should still be fine on the gp2x I reckon.
possible. mpeg4 uses a lot less compression so I can see that actually be quite plausible.

Back