USB Type-C connectors showed up at Digikey...

DAP

None in stock yet, but you can at least order them now

http://www.digikey.com/product-search/en?pv28=2824&FV=fff40016%2Cfff802e4&k=USB&mnonly=0&newproducts=0&ColumnSort=0&page=1&quantity=0&ptm=0&fid=0&pageSize=25

Using this connector would probably require additional components with the current SOC, but I would prefer to avoid the inconvenience of the USB MICRO-B connector going obsolete like the mini-AB connector did on Pandora.

Cables are already available at Monoprice: http://www.monoprice.com/Category?c_id=103&cp_id=10303

Yay. Because an ubiquitous connector might get obsolete sometime in the future let's redo the board layout that took 3 months and 10.000$ to include a connector that isn't even available. Sounds like a really good plan to me.

I still don't have problems walking into any electronics stores and buying a mini USB cable.

Although I typically buy them from the dollar store because why pay $10 for something I'm inevitably going to lose.

The only thing thats hard to get is mini-A or mini-AB

Luckily a mini-B can be wired as a mini-A

I assumed he was referring to mini USB OTG cables.  That said, I was let to believe those were becoming as rare as the proverbial rocking horse manure, but ended up with two of the things.

I thought mini-USB AB only referred to the ports.  There are only mini-A and mini-B cables, but A, B and AB ports (the latter accepting either cable), I thought.

I thought mini-USB AB only referred to the ports.
My thought as well. I've never heard of an AB cable, I can't even imagine what such a thing would actually be. I'd be interested to be proven wrong though.
I assumed he was referring to mini USB OTG cables.
To be fair, I've never been able to find an OTG cable, mini or micro, offline. As far as online, you can still find them no problem

The micro B USB 3 connector is such an ugly connector, it will die a very quick death. Not just because it is ugly, but mostly because it take up so much space.

The micro B USB 3 connector is such an ugly connector, it will die a very quick death. Not just because it is ugly, but mostly because it take up so much space.
Just let it be. I would have liked having a type C connector too, but it just won't happen.

ED has to pull the plug at some point in order to keep costs for PCB development in a range that still fits his development costs calculation. And I have a feeling that implementing the additional electronics needed would cause a not so slightly pushback - there is a reason why Nikolaus got "wonky" with that one USB related chip (I am not saying it would be impossible, just that it could lead to some serious redesign work).

It may be ugly, but it is still backwards compatible and that counts for something. The space it takes is not THAT much more than a micro usb2 B.

It may be ugly, but it is still backwards compatible and that counts for something. The space it takes is not THAT much more than a micro usb2 B.
Indeed I don't like to carry around a cable to connect a USB flashdrive to my pandora, for me thats the thing I use the USB port for most. Also the thing I miss most on other devices... 

Type C connectors require USB 3.1 to work - though they may as well have called USB 3.1 USB 4.0 to securely define how different it and it's Type C connector is from USB 3.0.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB#3.1

The Pyra's SoC is USB 3.0.  It could host a fully functional USB 3.1 type C port.

If type C catches on, I could see the Pyra's successor 5 years from now having 4 USB type C ports and no other USB ports - but that is a LONG ways off.

Yes, the microUSB 3.0 OTG double-wide trailer connector looks a bit wonky.  However, it is backwards compatible with microUSB, so all of your old microUSB cables will work just fine with it.  Also, the charging only (no USB signals) port is microUSB, meaning that one charger could charge from either port, or charge from the charging only port while leaving the microUSB 3.0 OTG port open for use.

What the Pyra has is the -best- solution for the device.

Type C connectors do NOT require USB 3.1. You can implement USB 3.0, USB 2.0, even USB 1.1 devices using a type C connector. If you are not using the super speed signals, you don't even need extra electronics.

The USB type C connector is less than half the size of the USB micro B super speed connector.

The Pyra will probably be one of the last devices that still uses the USB microB super speed connector, just as the Pandora was one of the last devices to use the mini AB connector.

Type C connectors do NOT require USB 3.1. You can implement USB 3.0, USB 2.0, even USB 1.1 devices using a type C connector. If you are not using the super speed signals, you don't even need extra electronics.

The USB type C connector is less than half the size of the USB micro B super speed connector.

The Pyra will probably be one of the last devices that still uses the USB microB super speed connector, just as the Pandora was one of the last devices to use the mini AB connector.
I think you're confusing backwards compatibility with the USB 3.1 Type C specification.

Yes, using an adapter, you can plug any USB 1.0-3.1 device into it and it should work (backwards compatibility).

That does NOT mean that it is proper to put a USB 3.1 Type C port on a device and only wire it for USB 2.0.

Well the Pyra will have a USB3 A-type port that'll only be wired for USB2.0 with the initial CPU board at least.  Is that a problem too?
Don't forget it will be wired to be able to switch that to USB2.0 or eSATA with some kind of adapter. so definitely odd, I wish there could be a way of getting a red USB 3.0 port to indicate that it's something different or EvilDragon finds another supplier for the USB 2.0/eSata hybrid connector. It will be something that confuses people who don't read the manual for sure.

EDIT: I don't know the details, but most likely SATA will use the USB 3.0 SuperSpeed pins.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB_3.0#Pinouts

http://pinoutsguide.com/HD/serialATA_pinout.shtml

Last edited by a moderator:

I think you're confusing backwards compatibility with the USB 3.1 Type C specification.

Yes, using an adapter, you can plug any USB 1.0-3.1 device into it and it should work (backwards compatibility).

That does NOT mean that it is proper to put a USB 3.1 Type C port on a device and only wire it for USB 2.0.
Since you obviously have not actually read the USB type C specification yet, here is a link: http://www.usb.org/developers/docs/

Not only is a USB 2.0 type C port fully supported, the spec goes into detail on how to implement it.

Well the Pyra will have a USB3 A-type port that'll only be wired for USB2.0 with the initial CPU board at least.  Is that a problem too?
Don't forget it will be wired to be able to switch that to USB2.0 or eSATA with some kind of adapter. so definitely odd, I wish there could be a way of getting a red USB 3.0 port to indicate that it's something different or EvilDragon finds another supplier for the USB 2.0/eSata hybrid connector. It will be something that confuses people who don't read the manual for sure.

EDIT: I don't know the details, but most likely SATA will use the USB 3.0 SuperSpeed pins.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB_3.0#Pinouts

http://pinoutsguide.com/HD/serialATA_pinout.shtml
I believe ED mentioned that for a new processor board, the USB 3.0 A connector could implement USB 3.0 instead of SATA without changing the main board.

I read that the new MacBook has a USB Type-C connector on it. And a headphone socket. And that's it - nothing else. Good luck trying to charge and plug in a mouse at the same time, unless you carry around a USB hub. Definite case of form over function there IMO.

It does mean USB C peripherals are surely on the way, albeit somewhat overpriced Apple compatible peripherals for now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back