Usb Wifi Help

chiefsmurph

Still Fresh
I got a powered usb hub set up fine so the first thing I did was get a usb wifi stick. I got one that the would work with the drivers that were apart of artaylor's archive (based upon rt2570) When I plug it into the computer, the small light on the end starts to flash. When I put it into the gp2x, nothing happens. When I type ifconfig, only the usb0 and whatever that other loopback network adapter show up.

I don't know if its a power issue or just the gp2x doesn't know what to do with it. I have insnoded the rt2570 driver. Thanks

Im making some progress. I have realized that when I type iwconfig, rausb0 shows up. I have also realized that when I run ifconfig rausb0, it detects the device.

However, when I run ifconfig rausb0 up to initiate it, it just stalls there. I'll give it another go later today, but this is how far I've gotten. Thanks to those who replied.

Yea. I can tell its loaded correctly because when I run "ifconfig rausb0" before I load it, it says can't find device or something. When I run it after, it shows me some info about the device.

Lsmod also shows it.

Edit:

Here are my results of "iwconfig" and "ifconfig rausb0"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ifconfig rausb0

rausb0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:00:00:00:00:00
BROADCAST MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:0 (0.0 B) TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

/mnt/sd/Utilities/wireless/iwconfig

lo no wireless extensions.

usb0 no wireless extensions.

rausb0 RT2500USB WLAN ESSID:""
Mode:Managed Frequency=2.412 GHz Bit Rate=1 Mb/s
RTS thr:eek:ff Fragment thr:eek:ff
Encryption key:eek:ff
Link Quality:0/100 Signal level:-255 dBm Noise level:-256 dBm
Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:0 Missed beacon:0

I don't really know how much that will help.

What happens if you type iwlist rausb0 scan? In case it works this should list any wireless AP's you have running (or any AP's youre nearby neighbours are running for that matter :p). Lets say it works, then iwconfig rausb0 essid name-of-desired-ESSID-reported-from-scan-here should do the trick.

I guess this is a pretty basic procedure and I hope I'm not telling you something you have already tried a hundred times, but I'll post it just in case :)

Hope it works out

"iwlist rausb0 scan" returns no scan results. I have tried reflashing my firmware as the last time I made an error like this I had screwed up the firmware somehow. Made no difference - still unable to ifconfig rausb0 up.

just out of curiosity, whats the name of the module you are using for it?

Im using the rt2570 driver that artaylor compiled. I have the Belkin F5D7050 and its shown here, http://rt2x00.serialmonkey.com/wiki/index.php/Hardware, as a working rt2570 usb stick. However, I am beginning to think that this is truly not a rt2560 stick because when I run iwconfig (you can check out my post above) it calls itself a "RT2500USB." I think my best bet would be to try compiling the rt2500 driver.

chiefsmurph posted on Sep 12 2006 at 05:03 PM said:
Im using the rt2570 driver that artaylor compiled. I have the Belkin F5D7050 and its shown here, http://rt2x00.serialmonkey.com/wiki/index.php/Hardware, as a working rt2570 usb stick. However, I am beginning to think that this is truly not a rt2560 stick because when I run iwconfig (you can check out my post above) it calls itself a "RT2500USB." I think my best bet would be to try compiling the rt2500 driver.
Hehe, I had that belkin usb wifi stick too! (3xxx series) Noting but trouble, I returned the damn thing.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just realized that when I run dmesg it shows this:
**>>Block 460 marked for retirement
**>>ecc error unfixed on chunk 3535:0
**>>ecc error unfixed on chunk 3535:1
**>>Block 110 marked for retirement
**>>ecc error unfixed on chunk 3180:0
**>>ecc error unfixed on chunk 3180:1
**>>Block 99 marked for retirement

It showed about 15 of these messages. Could this be related?

chiefsmurph posted on Sep 12 2006 at 06:18 PM said:
I just realized that when I run dmesg it shows this:
**>>Block 460 marked for retirement
**>>ecc error unfixed on chunk 3535:0
**>>ecc error unfixed on chunk 3535:1
**>>Block 110 marked for retirement
**>>ecc error unfixed on chunk 3180:0
**>>ecc error unfixed on chunk 3180:1
**>>Block 99 marked for retirement

It showed about 15 of these messages. Could this be related?
I don't think so, thats about the nand I believe, my gp2x says that too.

Which version of the F5D7050 do you have (it's on the box) according to:
http://linux-wless.passys.nl/query_part.php?brandname=Belkin

if you have 1xxx it has the Prism GT chipset and 4xxx has the zydas (?) chipset.

If so then the raling drivers wouldn't work of course.

I got it off brown box off ebay so I got little documentation. It does say fcc id: k7s-7f5d7050b on the stick.

chiefsmurph posted on Sep 12 2006 at 08:23 PM said:
I got it off brown box off ebay so I got little documentation. It does say fcc id: k7s-7f5d7050b on the stick.
I can't help you then, as I have returned my belkin stick.

Luckily, I got this wifi stick for really really cheap and after all these failed atempts, I am looking to take an easy way out. Has anyone else been successful in hooking up a usb wifi stick and what stick did you use?

Back