Usbnet On Linux

Alvin

I'm using the USB cable that came with the GP2X (the one that plugs into the GP2X and USB port), which supposedly allows me to connect via my computer, but I'm having trouble doing this, since I have little experience with things like it.

I connect it, switch on and once in the menu run ifconfig 80.0.0.1 (as root) on my computer. The USBnet IP on the GP2X is 80.0.0.2. Nothing connects. I run ifconfig on the GP2X, and it appears that I'm connected, but it won't ping remote hosts (or even my computer if I recall).

Those were the instructions nickspoon gave me on IRC, but they don't work. Does anyone have any advice or a tutorial somewhere?

Oh, and my computer doesn't directly connect to the Internet, it goes through a seperate computer (which is essentially our router), which connects to the Internet, if that's a problem.

the correct command would be:
ifconfig usb0 80.0.0.1

some distributions set ethernet MAC address do usbnet, if so, you should got ethX (X can be 0 if you don't have any NIC on your computer, but should be 1 as most computers have NICs nowadays)

Back