Used Ds's Flooding Local Game Stores...

bast525

Just what the topic says :p cruised by a few Gamestops local to me yesterday on a 'scavenger hunt' for a couple used, rare games... while I was there, I noticed that at each one, they had SEVERAL used DS's for sale. Out of five different stores, the least one had two, the most one had EIGHT DS's that people had traded in. This, only five months after the systems release... Ouch. And no, no one's sold any PSP's back yet, they are still sold out and backordered with the next TWO shipments being slated for reservation customers :blink:

Still holding onto my own two DS's waiting EVER SO patiently for Castlevania, Mario Kart and Animal Crossing....

Turn this into another fanboy argument if you must (though I'm sure most of us prefer that you... and you know who YOU are, don't), I just though this was interesting enough to share, my eyes were popping out of my head when I saw eight of them sitting there....

eh???

How is the DS the most succesful console launch ever? You have numbers or links to back that up?

Considering the sheer fact that there were WAY more PSP's available on launch day, and they are selling out just as badly as the DS's were, I have a hard time believing the PSP did not outsell the DS, both on their respective launches, and also counting up to this very day. I just don't believe it.

EDIT: And if your logic is true, and if it's true that the PSP has already outsold the DS, then by your logic doesn't it follow that there should be a lot MORE PSP's already traded in than DS's?

The DS was the best launch in the UK, and there are figures to back it up

you're one sided view is laughable

in five months there will be PSPs being traded in

due to this "backlist" you have mentioned, these are not people who want to buy PSPs because otherwise theyd have to join a list

I have seen NO traded in DSs in my local area, and it has been released here for longer than the PSP in America

I think we have proven that this thread and all it's retarded logic is pointless

i to would also like to see how the DS was the most successful release. Units sold doesn't neccesarily make it the most successful. The Atari 2600 was very successful but cost alot for 1978 so the numbers weren't as high. People are generally making alot more money than back in 1978 so they can afford new systems.

i've also seen tons of used DS systems for sale in local game shops in the US. It might just be me, but it seems people are losing their patients for quality stuff and going with the PSP, i'm half tempted to, but i'm keeping hope alive that something worth while to me will come out for the DS.

EDIT: it may be the best launch in the UK for the DS than other regions, but was it better than any release of any other system EVER?

Nintendo of Europe have been pretty proud to announce that the DS has become the most successful gaming hardware launch in the UK, with nearly 87,000 sales in the first two days alone.

the previous fastest selling launch console ws the Gamecube

and whilst i'm here, i see PS2s everyday in GAME and gamestation preowned, but rarely see an XBOX or GC

this is nto because the PS2 is less popular, but simply because more people own PS2s

my logic... my LOGIC??? What LOGIC?? I was simply stating something that I had observed that I thought was interesting. Oh I see, wanting to talk about something interesting that I saw makes me retarded... hmmmm <_<

Great, so the DS was the best launch ever in the UK... beating out the PSP by a landslide... oh wait!! PSP HASN'T EVEN LAUNCHED IN THE UK YET!!! What a comparison! Wow... you're right, I'm the one with the retarded logic. Let the PSP launch in the UK and then see if you can still say that. And anyways Mark didn't specify in the UK or anything like that, I quote: "The DS is the most successful console launch ever".

Total numbers worldwide I'm POSITIVE the PSP sold more units at it's respective launches compared to the DS and has sold more units total up to this point. I have very little doubt that the PSP launch in the UK will beat the DS launch, as long as they do for you like they did here in the US and make enough systems available.

In the meantime, you say there are more used PS2's available around where you live because Sony has sold more PS2's... so it's a ratio thing, right? Well me and my retarded logic again... now I coulda swore that last I checked more PSP's had been sold in the last month total, than DS's have been sold since it's November launch, total. In other words, there are already more PSP owners in the US than DS owners. Now by YOUR logic Mattmagoo, as with Mark's, shouldn't we be seeing more used PSP's available than DS's? Truth is it has nothing to do with that... there aren't so many used DS's being traded in because so many have been sold, there are so many being traded in because at the moment the library of games for the thing, quite simply, SUCKS ASS. I'm NOT saying all the games suck ass individually, but the selection is pitiful for a system five months old and almost ALL of the third party games BLOW. THAT"S why people are trading them in. You want to get even more pissed off? Take a good guess what the people who traded them in are using that store credit to buy :p

But you know what, that has nothing to do with this thread, as I said, I was just stating something that I saw, and was a bit surprised by to see.

there are certain factors that come into play and you can't say what the reasoning is as to why the system was traded in in the first place.

You have to take into account systems sold, time of release, quality of machine.

DS released 5 months ago, 87,000 sold, so far not that great, more systems being traded in.

PSP, just released, lots of units sold, not sure about quality, but its new, people are still playing with them.

Then you have the people hard up for cash trading and selling them.

You can never be sure for certain why there are so many of one system. People change their minds, people get disappointed. But the main reason is because of the numbers.

KickinWing posted on Apr 12 2005 at 04:05 PM said:
You can never be sure for certain why there are so many of one system.  People change their minds, people get disappointed.  But the main reason is because of the numbers.

I'll believe that when I see eight used PSP's available at Gamestop within the next five months.

Really, I dont' CARE why they're being traded in. Personally, I think the reason I gave is a pretty good guess. If I were to trade in my DS right now (and trust me I've been tempted), the lack of games and the lack of GOOD games would be THE reason why. And I know that others on these boards (and all over the place, really) who have bought DS's have echoed that sentiment. The only other time I saw systems being traded in in such numbers so soon after a release was when the GBA SP came out, because a lot of people were stupid and thought it wasn't just a redesigned GBA, but rather it was a more powerful system. Then they figured out that they were stupid so came and traded them in. Even the GC, which sold quite well at it's launch here in the states, but also had a pretty limited library of games even months later, didn't get traded in nearly as much after a few months. I know because that was during the period when I was working for Gamestop as a store manager. Now I can't even come up with a good comparative reason for that one.....

Last edited by a moderator:
i agree with you bast 100%, if i was going to trade in my DS it would be because it plain "at this time" sucks.

The difference between UK ds and UK psp is that psp is not released, the psps in the uk were imported and the person importing the psp should have researched it and should know what they are getting so there would be no reason to trade it in. Trade ins almost always come after the official release because of mostly people not happy with the product.

Wait til the psp comes out in the UK, there will be trade ins, but I bet the number won't be as great as the DS. I actually bet there will be MORE DS trade ins because people will be trading them in for PSP

Flinty has sold his psp just days after getting his, Not heard anyone openly selling their ds`s on these boards yet. :rolleyes:

EDIT: He also stated at the time he was selling his psp, That his intensions were to buy a new graphics card (not another handheld). Which could be said for some of the owners of the traded-in ds`s, They may have been impulse purchases and may have decided to sell them and sit on the fence wait for everything to calm down before they make another purchase.

Just thought i`d throw that in for good measure. ;)

Trooper

fine

ill just leave safe in the knowledge that all the people who work in GAME and Gamestation that I have spoken to are not nearly as rilled up about the PSP as they were about the DS

Also the PSP will probably not oversell the DS in the UK because sony have fucked over europe nad have pushed back he launch till christmas (according to Gamestation worker)

and the DS has some excellent games, last time i checked the DS games EDGE reviewed (Polarium, Yoshi, Band Bros, Mario 64, and Zoo Keeper) were getting some pretty good scores for launch titles

people assume software on the DS is crap, that does not mean it is

I have Mario 64, Yoshi, Polarium and Zoo Keeper and I plays these a lot more than i play my Gamecube and Dreamcast

By putting the launch back in Europe they're going to get Christmas trade as well as trade from people from which the 'novelty' of the DS has worn off.

It's a good move in my opinion, but then, I already have one.

The first week of the DS launch in the US it sold 500,000 units. This number isn't high due to the lack of DSs from people to buy, eventually between japan, US and UK launches they have more than 4 million installed units.

In the US, the PSP sold 500,000 in the first two days due to preorders and Early Adopters, and then sold another 102,000 to end the week ahead of the DS. Theyve sold through most of the innitial 1million units and are just this week starting to ship their Million+1 units as reports of packs without the Spiderman 2 UMD have begun filtering in.

Sony still have a very large gap to close and their higher price point wont help that position untill the next holiday season assuming Nintendo doesnt release any AAA titles to spur purchases on before then.

The DS systems you see in stores are the result of any newly launched opposition. You have plenty of people not satisfied with the DS and seeing the PSP they decided to trade it in on credit for the new, more expensive system. If there were a NEWER handheld to come out with a larger screen and better extra features you;d probably see a few used PSPs pop up too.

Now enough fucking fanboyishness, go play a damn game.

bast525 posted on Apr 12 2005 at 03:54 PM said:
my logic... my LOGIC??? What LOGIC?? I was simply stating something that I had observed that I thought was interesting. Oh I see, wanting to talk about something interesting that I saw makes me retarded... hmmmm  <_<

Great, so the DS was the best launch ever in the UK... beating out the PSP by a landslide... oh wait!! PSP HASN'T EVEN LAUNCHED IN THE UK YET!!! What a comparison! Wow... you're right, I'm the one with the retarded logic. Let the PSP launch in the UK and then see if you can still say that. And anyways Mark didn't specify in the UK or anything like that, I quote: "The DS is the most successful console launch ever".

Well you had to know that that would be the response of Nintendo fanboiz. According to them Nintendo games are always the best, the screen on the DS is not small, the touchscreen is so damn innovative, they will sell the best and conquer the world.

I have both and compared to the PSP the DS and it's current offerings of games just plain sucks period, full stop. The screens are small and low res, terrible ergonomics and a super weak library of games. Mario was good but it is just an N64 port with minigames added BFD. The thing hurting the PSP in the US is the stupidly expensive price. $250 for a handheld? That is really stopping it from being a no-contest between the two. Had Sony not been greedy and released it here at the original price it would have been game over for the Ds.

Last edited by a moderator:
DaveC is correct. Other than a 2nd screen, there's nothing innovative about the DS. Game.com had a touch screen, Game.com even had net access. Though both were limited, the game.com still had them.

Each system has it's own pros and cons, it just takes Nintendo a little longer to reach those pros than usual. And that is the ONLY reason why i'm keeping my DS or it would've been traded in for a PSP when they were released in the states. I have little faith that anything worth while will happen for the DS, especially if it's just a "filler" system until the new Gameboy comes out, but it's that little bit of faith that has kept me in check to trade it in.

Innovation to me is the PSP being the first handheld to not be cartridge based.

Look:

The DS has had the best UK launch in history.
It has had the best launch in Australia.
The Japanese and American launchs sold an absolute ton.

Kickinwig, 87,000 sold in 5 months? LOL, it sold that within the first weekend in the UK alone.

http://www.totalvideogames.com/pages/artic...article_id=7462

And Bast, there were far more DS's than PSP's avalible pretty much everywhere. If you can prove it I'd like to see it.

Kickinwig, non-cartridge is innovation? Wow, that must have taken alot of thinking of. And, you know what, the Nintendo DS doesn't take cartridges-it takes a flash card wrapped in plastic. Not a cartridge.

If anyone of you don't like the DS, then just sell it and talking shit.

I never said 87,000 in 5 months, i said

"DS released 5 months ago, 87,000 sold, so far not that great, more systems being traded in."

I'll break it down for you. DS was released 5 months ago COMMA 87,000 sold, now because of the comma the 87,000 sold still pertains to the original thought which if you remember was the DS released 5 months ago, so that would mean during the release it sold 87,000 units.

Now my mistake was using another comma after that, "so far not that great" was not geared toward the launch but the DS itself. I should've followed up with a : or something, my fault. But the sentecne above "DS released 5 months ago..." should've given you a clue about it, if you dont' remember, here it is. You have to take into account systems sold, time of release, quality of machine" My comment about not so great was regarding the quality of machine, NOT THE RELEASE. sorry for confusion.

Flash cart whatever, all cartridges are just memory wrapped in plastic. no difference in my eyes.

Yes I'm not happy with my DS, yes i'm sorry that i'm not into kiddie games like you are, Yes i'm not interested in Puppy times like you. But i'm going to give it some time, it will sit in the corner of my bookshelf until something worth it to me comes out. And nobody here is talking shit just you. All my post were not geared towards one particular system. I was just keeping it to the topic as to why there could be so many DS systems being traded in.

As i said before, both systems have its pros and cons. Nintendo just takes along time reaching those pros.

I think it is a sheer numbers thing, but also must have somethign to do in part with the total lack of decent launch titles. Maro 64 is great, but apart from that, there was NOTHING that made me want to part with my cash. I actually sold my DS today in work. Somebody's kid wanted one, and he had it off me with Mario64. I liked mario64, but not enough for me to keep hold of the DS. More cash for PSP stuff now ;)

PSP is coming on Sunday!

By the way (OT) - if anyone's interested - videogamesplus.ca is absolutely great for psp games, and the delivery is fast and cheap. Also, no import tax, as they mark every game package as $24 canadian, which is well below the threshold.

Took 4 days to get to me in the UK from date of shipping!

Back