Verizon Droid

korky

Still Fresh
Apparently this baby uses OMAP3 and is made by Motorola with slide out keyboard, running Android 2.0. Looks ok just thought I would see if anyone could draw some comparisons e.g. cpu speed, mem etc.

korky said:
Apparently this baby uses OMAP3 and is made by Motorola with slide out keyboard, running Android 2.0. Looks ok just thought I would see if anyone could draw some comparisons e.g. cpu speed, mem etc.
I thought its hardware is still unknown?
Anyway, if the phone is a tenth as grungy as that ad, no one will buy it for risk of infection.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's kinda cute, actually, as you can see here:

motorola_sholes_droid_leak_live_1.jpg

http://www.slashgear.com/verizon-motorola-droid-aka-sholes-outed-in-new-leaked-photos-1460445/

But I haven't a clue about specs.

According to some "leaked" specs it's the OMAP3430 (same as the Palm Pre):

http://www.mobilecrunch.com/2009/10/01/verizon-to-announce-moto-tao-next-week-phone-to-drop-dec-1/

If find it a little sad that it has taken manufacturers so long to get past the ARM11 cores that every Android up to this one has had. This may be a contender for my next phone, right up there with the n900 and the Acer Liquid.

wow, that is a boring ass phone...
to think everyone at engadget was going apesh*t over that...
This is supposed to be motorola's hail mary? What makes this different from the multitude of other touchscreen phones, like HTC dream, magic, hero, etc.?

Just my thoughts... Although I saw their television commercial and the mentioned open development, which I hope they really carry through on.

El Jefe said:
This is supposed to be motorola's hail mary? What makes this different from the multitude of other touchscreen phones, like HTC dream, magic, hero, etc.?

OMAP 3430 while the others have fairly slow ARM11 cores, 5MP camera like the Hero, physical keyboard like the Dream, first phone that will have Android 2.0, mostlike.

Jourdy288 said:
Just my thoughts... Although I saw their television commercial and the mentioned open development, which I hope they really carry through on.

That is referring to the nature of Android. You can create and release an application without having to go through the Application Store. Google's application store is a lot more lenient than Apple's as well. Programs are automatically preapproved (no extensive prescreening) but can be removed if it doesn't comply with terms.

El Jefe said:

It's the most powerful Android phone to date and the first one on Verizon, the largest wireless company in the US by both number of subscribers and coverage. That's why it's generating excitement.

musicalwoods said:
That is referring to the nature of Android. You can create and release an application without having to go through the Application Store. Google's application store is a lot more lenient than Apple's as well. Programs are automatically preapproved (no extensive prescreening) but can be removed if it doesn't comply with terms.

That said, you can sell emulators there. Or at least they haven't been removed.

SO,
Verizon is going to end its crippling of GPS and Bluetooth on their smartphones?
Their LG line has been GPS capable, and also wireless Bluetooth tethering capable for years.
Verizon cripples those functions in their software so they can make money.
$9.95 per month for VZNavigator GPS driving service.
$59.95 per month for wired network tethering.

I guess they are being forced to compete by Apple/ATT.

I'll believe it when I see it, but I bet they won't allow tethering to WiFi without additional payments to big V.

Jourdy288 said:
Emulators can of course be sold, haven't you heard of Bleem?
I'm not sure if you're joking or not.
You know that company went out of business due to legal issues regarding their emulator right?

They were using proprietary Sony BIOS or something though.

Haha, Jourdy asked Exophase if he heard of Bleem.

rabidpoobear said:
Jourdy288 said:
Emulators can of course be sold, haven't you heard of Bleem?
I'm not sure if you're joking or not.
You know that company went out of business due to legal issues regarding their emulator right?

They went out of business because the legal fight got too expensive (and some bad marketing decisions), not because any court decided against them.

Welp I used my classified A-level clearance only piezo-circuit calculator and it appears the electron average of the Droid surpasses the Pandora! I suggest you buy a droid if you want the most powerful handheld.

Username said:
My question is: why is this under Pandora?
Because it uses an OMAP3 (of some kind) and is therefore undeniably a threat to the Pandora market!

edit: this post should be read with a sarcastic tone, including this line.

rabidpoobear said:
To my knowledge, that was Connectix Virtual Game Station, not Bleem!. :p

Back