Vertical Games, Horizontal Screen.

colt chillin'

you'v guessed it, i'm NEW to this...

some of the games i plan to play on my yet to buy gp2x (runnin' mame) are verticals, like 1942, bombjack, gaplus etc.

what happens to those games on the horizontal orientated gp2x screen?
do they get cropped or scaled?

if it's the latter does this mess up the graphics?

colt chillin posted on Feb 27 2006 at 10:38 PM said:

some of the games i plan to play on my yet to buy gp2x (runnin' mame) are verticals, like 1942, bombjack, gaplus etc.

There is an option to put the screen into tate mode so you can play them in their full glory. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
NeoStuey posted on Feb 28 2006 at 12:00 AM said:
There is an option to put the screen into tate mode so you can play them in their full glory. :D

rocks!!!, but uhm...
this means you gotta play something like '180 switchhanded', right? assumin' the controls flip too,
is that dooable or... better yet comfortable?

The volume controls start to work as fire buttons when you rotate the screen in MAME, so you can control it with both hands at the bottom of the screen.

Rotating the GP2X has no effect on the scaling - some games had the screen mounted that way, so holding the GP2X that way is the simplest way to emulate that. Bomb Jack looks and plays great anyway - I've not tried the others you mentioned.

You mean 90 degree, not 180.

Fortunately, we have enough buttons to map to rotated game play. :)
You can use stick and volume control for those games.

EDIT: Oops, already answered :)

colt chillin posted on Feb 27 2006 at 10:38 PM said:

MAME on the GP2x is very configurable. As was said you can rotate 90 and use the volume control for fire. This works great in games like Centipede, and Galaga. In this orientation if has about the same feel as playing the original Gameboy. In this mode games are 1:1 pixel mapping with no distortion. You can play horizontal cropped or scaled too. In these modes though the graphics are obviously a bit distorted. The good news is that the GP2X is very comfortable rotated compared to other systems I have used when rotated. This fact makes the GP2X an ideal system for playing older MAME games.

thanks guys...

@ mittens: 90 indeed :lol:
@ rokdcasbah: that vertical pacman pic rocks!!! hehehe...

i'll stop botherin' you people... well, for today.

Back