Mame Gp2x 1.5

DaveC posted on Feb 8 2006 at 08:05 PM said:
I would donate if the sound was ever made to work in many classic games . Some of us actually like those too.
Why not donate for the many hundreds of games you can play with sound?

Last edited by a moderator:
Some games used samples in that particular version of MAME. The samples would be zipped up wav files that MAME would play when needed. Some games that used samples were Berzerk, Donkey Kong, etc. Apparently someone is being ultra anal about NEEDING the games with samples to be ultra perfect, since Franxis's version of MAME does not use samples at all. From what I've gathered the games are too slow when playing samples.

LHC posted on Feb 13 2006 at 01:19 PM said:
DaveC posted on Feb 8 2006 at 08:05 PM said:
I would donate if the sound was ever made to work in many classic games .  Some of us actually like those too.
Why not donate for the many hundreds of games you can play with sound?

I did donate once. I give more if all of the favorite classics were finished by having sound.

cbox posted on Feb 15 2006 at 12:22 AM said:
Some games used samples in that particular version of MAME. The samples would be zipped up wav files that MAME would play when needed. Some games that used samples were Berzerk, Donkey Kong, etc. Apparently someone is being ultra anal about NEEDING the games with samples to be ultra perfect, since Franxis's version of MAME does not use samples at all. From what I've gathered the games are too slow when playing samples.

Newer MAME drivers could be used that emulated the sound and didn't use samples if they are too slow. If NeoGeo works with sound in MAME , you can't tell me it is impossible for the ancient Phoenix and Donkey Kong to work with sound, I don't believe it.

NeoGeo and older games with samples are two totally unrelated things.

If you want a working version of MAME with samples why don't you code it yourself instead of incessantly whining?

I'm sure Franxis is just busy, or theres some nasty to it; perhaps the samples are enormous on RAM consumption, so he's opting to not pre-load them.. or perhaps due to the port style its inconvenient. One would think sample playback would be pretty easy, but look at it.. Franxis has done amazing work. So if he's not doing it.. there must be a good reason :)

jeff

skeezix posted on Feb 15 2006 at 01:44 AM said:
I'm sure Franxis is just busy, or theres some nasty to it; perhaps the samples are enormous on RAM consumption, so he's opting to not pre-load them.. or perhaps due to the port style its inconvenient. One would think sample playback would be pretty easy, but look at it.. Franxis has done amazing work. So if he's not doing it.. there must be a good reason :)

jeff

The suggestion was to use newer drivers not samples. I don't know if that is possible but for old games you would think so.

There is just one classic game that I really would like to have with sound. And of course it is PHOENIX.

For all those who do not know the difference between Phoenix with sound and Phoenix without sound go play it on your pc.

chaos engineer posted on Feb 15 2006 at 09:06 AM said:
There is just one classic game that I really would like to have with sound. And of course it is PHOENIX.

For all those who do not know the difference between Phoenix with sound and Phoenix without sound go play it on your pc.

That goes for all of the games I think not just Phoenix. The same could be said about Zaxxon, Berzerk, Donkey Kong, etc. Try those on a PC then play the silent GP2X MAME ones, big difference.

DaveC posted on Feb 14 2006 at 11:59 PM said:
The suggestion was to use newer drivers not samples. I don't know if that is possible but for old games you would think so.
Being somewhat familiar with the MAME source, I can tell you that is a potential nightmare depending on the gap in source versions :(

Turning on the samples would not be too hard and would open up sound on several games. Including most of the ones mentioned. I say go that route. Because even the modern mame relies on samples for those games.

Greenchili posted on Feb 15 2006 at 09:54 PM said:
Turning on the samples would not be too hard and would open up sound on several games. Including most of the ones mentioned. I say go that route. Because even the modern mame relies on samples for those games.

I think some games like Space invaders and Asteroids still use samples as the sound was not code driven it was done with audio synthesizers.

I know Donkey kong, Zaxxon, Phoenix, PepperII etc. use emulated sound in newer versions.

DaveC posted on Feb 16 2006 at 12:41 AM said:

I think some games like Space invaders and Asteroids still use samples as the sound was not code driven it was done with audio synthesizers.

I know Donkey kong, Zaxxon, Phoenix, PepperII etc. use emulated sound in newer versions.

If you listen carefully to the sounds in the PSP version of MAME the same exact sounds are missing when no samples are present that the GP2X version missing. On the PSP version when the samples are placed in the sample directory, wala, all sounds are present and accounted for. Same goes for the Zodiac Tapwave version.

If the PSP can do it. I'm pretty sure the GP2X can handle it.

Most likely the sample code was turned off because the GP32 could not handle it.

Heck I think even the dreamcast mamepak release can do samples!

Samples for berserk and zaxxon were added in mame .31
Samples for the nintendo games like donkey kong in .30 (some were eventually simulated, but not all)
Simulated sound for phoenix and asteroids were not added until .36

Using newer drivers would not serve much purpose and considering all the changes to the MAME core that seem to occur from version to version all the code wouldn't just "plug-in".

The only bad thing though is the sample names are completely different. For example on Dkong they are effect00-effect03. But in more current versions of mame they are run01-03, dkstomp, and jump. I don't think I've seen any place that has rollbacks for samples. :lol:

Greenchili posted on Feb 17 2006 at 07:14 AM said:
DaveC posted on Feb 16 2006 at 12:41 AM said:
Turning on the samples would not be too hard and would open up sound on several games.  Including most of the ones mentioned.  I say go that route.  Because even the modern mame relies on samples for those games.

If you listen carefully to the sounds in the PSP version of MAME the same exact sounds are missing when no samples are present that the GP2X version missing. On the PSP version when the samples are placed in the sample directory, wala, all sounds are present and accounted for. Same goes for the Zodiac Tapwave version.

If the PSP can do it. I'm pretty sure the GP2X can handle it.

Most likely the sample code was turned off because the GP32 could not handle it.

Heck I think even the dreamcast mamepak release can do samples!

Samples for berserk and zaxxon were added in mame .31
Samples for the nintendo games like donkey kong in .30 (some were eventually simulated, but not all)
Simulated sound for phoenix and asteroids were not added until .36

Using newer drivers would not serve much purpose and considering all the changes to the MAME core that seem to occur from version to version all the code wouldn't just "plug-in".

The only bad thing though is the sample names are completely different. For example on Dkong they are effect00-effect03. But in more current versions of mame they are run01-03, dkstomp, and jump. I don't think I've seen any place that has rollbacks for samples. :lol:

Well if the Zodiac could have samples the GP2X certainly could then. The zodiac only has one 193 MHz ARM. Could the Zodiac version be ported for those specific games maybe?

Zodiac uses version .36 mame which is not that many versions away, so depending on the changes made. GP2X uses .31 and the PSP one is a little more current (something like .978).

BTW Zodmame runs really well too, from what little I've messed with it. Not sure if any ARM assembly is used for the CPU emulation though. It does use ATI specific stuff to get speed performance on the zodiac as well. Maybe that hardware accelerated SDL floating around will do the trick.

GP2X uses .34 core and adds several romsets that were added in the various .35 versions. .36 seems very popular with handhelds, it seems to be the most common version ported to PDAs, etc. On my 133 mhz Pentium subnotebook with 96 megs ram, .36 runs great! It doesn't have the handy controls of the gp2x though, because it is running Windows95 and has no gamepad port.

Back