Very New C++ Developer Here, Have A Few Questions...

sirthunder516

Still Fresh
Website
retronuggetdev.com
Hey everybody! I'm a new developer, been working with Gambas for about a year now and I just started C++ last week so I could develop for my Caanoo (and Pandora, when I get it :D ), so I've got a few questions. Does the Pandora have an onboard compiler, so I could program during long car rides etc. when I don't have my laptop? And also does it have a decent IDE with syntax highlighting? I'm aware of GEdit, is it running well on the Pandora or is there a better alternative? One more question... having programmed quite a lot in Gambas, I feel the need to create graphical applications, not just command line stuff. Does the Pandora support QT or GTK and if not, does anybody have a link to a good tutorial for where I could learn how to do "native" graphics?
Sorry if I come across as not the smartest person around, I'm 15 and just discovering most of this stuff...

SiRTHUNDER516 said:
Hey everybody! I'm a new developer, been working with Gambas for about a year now and I just started C++ last week so I could develop for my Caanoo (and Pandora, when I get it :D ), so I've got a few questions. Does the Pandora have an onboard compiler, so I could program during long car rides etc. when I don't have my laptop? And also does it have a decent IDE with syntax highlighting? I'm aware of GEdit, is it running well on the Pandora or is there a better alternative? One more question... having programmed quite a lot in Gambas, I feel the need to create graphical applications, not just command line stuff. Does the Pandora support QT or GTK and if not, does anybody have a link to a good tutorial for where I could learn how to do "native" graphics?
Sorry if I come across as not the smartest person around, I'm 15 and just discovering most of this stuff...

1) The Pandora does not have an onboard compiler, however there are plenty of ways to remedy that

2) I believe there is a PND for gEdit out there, but there are 3 much better alternatives already working on Pandora: vim, Geany, and Code::Blocks

3) The Pandora can do both QT and GTK, but I'm not sure what you have to do to use it with the Pandora.

-God Ginrai

Last edited by a moderator:
God Ginrai said:
2) I believe there is a PND for gEdit out there, but there are 3 much better alternatives already working on Pandora: vim, Geany, and Code::Blocks
Geany being better than gedit is a matter of taste. (I dislike geany while I like the simplicity of gedit)
Vim does have syntax.vim installed, so no color syntaxing.

sebt3 said:
God Ginrai said:
Geany being better than gedit is a matter of taste. (I dislike geany while I like the simplicity of gedit)
Vim does have syntax.vim installed, so no color syntaxing.

I have had trouble with gEdit not saving things with unix formatting, even though it is a linux text editor. Obviously it may be a matter of taste, but I have had far more problems with gEdit than with any other text editor on Linux, so I believe that quality is also a factor as well.

-God Ginrai

The Pandora does not *ship* with a compiler onboard, but it is very easy to add it .. just follow the directions in this thread:

http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/53964-cross-compiling-is-bollocks-toolchains-are-bollocks-use-your-pandora-to-build-apps/

As far as an IDE/editor, I believe you can get geany or Scite installed, but I just use vim, personally .. it has syntax highlighting and is very flexible for development, if you use Makefiles and all that ..

Back