VERY OLD Virtual Reality Internet Browser

PowerGod

Forum Addict!
I remember that many years ago (maybe before the 2001) I have tried a beta version of an Internet browser that was showing pages as virtual objects, and I was able to "walk" from one "page" to another.

Do you remember how it was called ?

It's almost impossible to search for it now that there is this trend...

I want to see if I remember correctly how it was working, to compare that one with the recents alternatives... It was a fail... good as art, and for Gibson's cyberpunk books fanatics, but very unconfortable to be effectively used...

Ah yes, VRML, the 3D technology of the late nineties that was going to revolutionize the internet. :p

If you're interested there are still sites which make use of it, strictly for nostalgia or irony, I'm sure.

I know at least a fancy Firefox plugin called "tilt" that shows an html page in 3D. This is not for browsing but mainly for development reasons, you can see the actual layers a page is made of:

Tilt.jpg

The mentioned names don't ring any bells in my memory, but now I see that in those years there was more that one project on the subject O_O

I'm pretty sure it was for HTTP, because I used it to surf the sites I was always reading with Internet Explorer, anyway I didn't know about GopherVR, interesting.

I don't think it was HotSauce, anyway while searching for it I found an image that is similar to what I have in mind, it is taken from a projects called "WebForager"

Image8.jpg

EDIT:

@Strigoi: O_O it could be it !! But I don't remember it was using "second-life"-like avatars, I was thinking it was a first person experience, maybe I didn't mind at the time...

3b.jpg

3b-400x262.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back