GP32 Vib Ribbon On Gp32!!

bast525

hey all... well... here is my request/idea... I just today picked up a sorta rare, sorta well known import PSX game called Vib Ribbon. It's a VERY simplistic game, graphically and in concept. Graphically, it is literally just line drawn polygons... think the old '80's arcade game Battle Zone (that 3d tank combat sim) or probably any vectrex game and you know exactly what to expect.

it's a music/rythm game... onscreen there is a rabbit, who is walking across a line, and as a song plays in the background, various hills/dips will come down the line, in 8 basic shapes, and you must press one of four (or a combination of two) buttons that correspond with that shape as you walk over it. The game matches the timing of the shapes coming down the line to the beat of the music in the background, and you also have to time your button presses to the beat. If you miss, you get hit and after a few hits you evolve/devolve thru one of four possible shapes (worm, frog, rabbit,angel, in that order, you always default start as the rabbit). But as you get them right you form a circle of dots around your character (one dot per each you get right) and at 20 dots you evolve up the chain. One of the best features of the game, and this is why I think this could realy work on the GP32, is that on the PSX, you can use ANY music CD with the game, so that you can constantly vary the patterns. Maybe there'd be some way to make this game run MP3's on the GP? Since the game is graphically SOOOO simple, I would hope there'd be enough processing power left over?

Anyways... the game is just so simple, I imagine the GP could handle it w/o much fuss, and it's addictive... I kept throwing other CD's in there to try... a 128 full of MP3's and this game would rock!

Well just an idea...

yeah that's one think I couldn't possibly comment on... even though the game LOOKS very simple, it may still take a fair bit of processing power I dunno...

but even with some other music format... MOD's would work nicely... anything... the game is just very fun to play.

ravuya posted on Apr 22 2005 at 01:35 AM said:
I could probably write it if it were using a tracker format like MOD; realtime MP3 decoding takes a lot of the wind out of the GP32's sails.

then please is it possible for you to try to code one "clone" using .mod file ;p it's really interesting & honnestly a damn funny game :) I couldn't immagine how great it would be on GP!

Last edited by a moderator:
love this game, and asked for a port several times, would be great to see it done.
my gp32 is currently catching dust because of my new zod, but this could change that (=
mhh, in fact, it is only catching dust because im too lazy to carry it down here and put new drMD and LadyKiller on it :D

I saw something about vib ribbon on g4 a week or so ago.. looks very fun... A gp32 clone of it would be sweet!

Nilsiboy, you really should check out the drmd... and i should check out gpladykiller...

I love vib-ribbon, and I would seriously love to see a ver on the gp32_console.

And AFAIK its not an import game at all, it was released in the uk sometime near the middle of the psx's life. I remeber renting it from blockbusters :)

Back