Vib ribbon

deanollive

Right does anyone with a bit of Gp know how, know if its possible to port Vib ribbon over from the ps1?????
Obvisouly have to change the cd input to them mod things or whatever.....

If its not possible could it just be made for Gp, ie codede from scratch for a cut down gp version with mod or mp3 support???

any info or feedback on this would be great as Im totally hooked on vib ribbon

cheers

Dean

It _WOULD_ be possible to write from scratch, IF the GP32 had enough MHz to go around to run a realtime Fast Fourier Transform unit (which is HEAVILY floating point) and threow lots of lines around the screen.

And I don't think it is.

Vib Ribbon-damn good game.If I could code i wouldn't use vector lines like the ps1 version.maybe pre defined shapes could move across the screen for vib to jump over-obviously not as visually great as the original vib but would still be fun.and if it's possible to make it work with any mp3-that would be cool. :D :) :D

I dont think vib-ribbon uses the full range of the fast-fourier transform. from what I remember of it, it only had about 4 shapes in total to move around. So it only needs to determine 4 frequency ranges. A simple flat line with a sprite moving along it should be fairly easy to do. the hard part comes from making the different obstacles appear in real time instead of being from a preditermined sequence. Possibly there could be a PC app which reads an MP3 or MOD, and outputs a tiny file with the obstacle sequence and timings, which the game then reads along with the track, negating the need for the fourier transform alltogether. Or it could pre-load a track doing the fourier transform to form the sequence, then play the track with the premade sequence, but this would mean looooong loading times. I think the best solution would the PC app to do the fourier transform, and the game is just an MP3/MOD player with the game running the level from the sequence file.

Back