[Video] Ballgame Hd

RomanH

Still Fresh
Hi there

Since it seems it is only a matter of weeks until the release of the Pandora, I thought it would be a nice idea to upload a little video of an arcade game I've been working on:

YouTube-Video

The game has been ready for months and months but I always wanted it to be first released on the Pandora. However, since it is an open source/free software project, programmed in C and using only SDL-libraries, it can easily be ported to pretty much any platform later on.

All the coding is done by me and the graphics are made by Pixitu. However, the game really lacks a good soundtrack...

RomanH

Last edited by a moderator:
The lines are only visible for the first level you play. Trust me, the game difficult enough. B)
And after all, it's all down to the levels. If the consensus is that the game is too easy, I will gladly make some difficult levels.

may I ask how will this scale to the screen of the Pandora, e.g. add bars to the side or rotated.

offbow said:
may I ask how will this scale to the screen of the Pandora, e.g. add bars to the side or rotated.

I'm not sure yet. The default resolution is 640x480. So it's 160 pixels too narrow. I'll probably add a bar on the right side, similar to the one on the left. But that's something I want to try out on the real hardware to see how it looks and feels.

Looks like a nice litle game. I am looking forward to seeing it run on the pandora.

I don't think it's essential to have soundtrack. It would definitely not be a bad thing but I can imagine a lot of people just listening to some music while playing.

Looks really good, though I don't know whether I will like the concept of the game.
In this type of game the most important skills are fast and logic thinking (where am I going to put the next ball?, where can I put it to make a chain reaction?, etc.) mixed with a bit of fast reflexes. Because of that the controls and general interaction with the game mechanics are normally pretty easy (you shoot the ball straight at the other balls), now you mix it up with a new, more complicated and harder controlling scheme. I think this can lead to some frustration when you lose a game if you put the (several) ball(s) at the wrong position, but because of the shooting mechanism, not because you planned wrong, as it's harder to control where the ball goes (especially when you remove these dots) than when you simply shoot it in a straight line.

Well these are just my thoughts, I might turn out to be wrong when I play the game, cannot totally judge that from the video alone anyway.

Still very nice, also the included level editor and the smooth menu.

foxblock out

RomanH said:
offbow said:

I'm not sure yet. The default resolution is 640x480. So it's 160 pixels too narrow. I'll probably add a bar on the right side, similar to the one on the left. But that's something I want to try out on the real hardware to see how it looks and feels.

I know i ran this, i think it was on the pandora ages ago.

Pickle said:
I know i ran this, i think it was on the pandora ages ago.

yes, you have played it on the Pandora indeed. :)
I sent you the sources when you ported OpenGGS to the GP2X for me.

If he's anything like me, then sound and music are usually the last things added to my games. Until development is about 70%-80% complete, my games are all completely silent. I have code in there to play sfx etc. I just don't start looking for sfx or music before that point.

My latest game for GP2X and Wiz has music, but totally lacks sfx and it's about 90% complete, codewise. Must get this sorted and soon!

iprice said:
If he's anything like me, then sound and music are usually the last things added to my games. Until development is about 70%-80% complete, my games are all completely silent. I have code in there to play sfx etc. I just don't start looking for sfx or music before that point.

My latest game for GP2X and Wiz has music, but totally lacks sfx and it's about 90% complete, codewise. Must get this sorted and soon!

is that zomb'd you're talking about or another game?

Mithrildor said:
hells_dark said:
Looks good, but I think it would be funnier with more sounds :)

Read the first post. He already mentions it lacks a soundtrack. But yes It needs some sounds for when you shoot a ball.
You're right, I haven't read the whole post. Anyway, sounds ≠ soundtrack to me (but I guess he was talking about sounds ^^').

Bosbeetle said:
iprice said:

is that zomb'd you're talking about or another game?

Another game. :)

Back