Video Formats on Pyra

I hope for better h264 support because my Pandora don't play these Videos well (sound yes, image no), no matter which player I try. :( Maybe my CC Pandora is to weak or to old but it plays basicly everything else pretty well.

Someone need to code some good codecs for the dsp for it

It seems like it will have enough horse power to just play most video without the dsp, so it might just play everything.  I don't know, that is kinda how it seems how low powered computers are, some will not play with the default drivers and then when you install AMD or nVidia drivers it works.  On faster PCs this isn't really a concern because with enough horse power everything will just play.  Enough horse power on x86 Linux boxes seems to be dual core 1.5 or better but on ARM that might not be the case.  I probably shouldn't comment anymore since I'm no expert on ARM though.

Everything less than 720p should play fine even on software decoding: so every format is supported by mplayer/vlc/etc...

For 1080p you'll probably need the adequate driver for GPU acceleration. I don't know on OMAP5 if the open 2D part of the driver is the part that supports the hardware decoding. It would be great.

Hardware acceleration helps with battery life, even for low resolution videos.

Last edited by a moderator:
It seems like it will have enough horse power to just play most video without the dsp, so it might just play everything.
I talked about the Pandora, bsp said the dsp would be fast enough for full hd decoding.

Pandora don't play these Videos well (sound yes, image no),
Use Mplayer, press 'f' to go fullscreen.You've installed the codec pack I assume.
Of course I installed the codec pack, everything else runs fine, I watched alot of different encoded videos onto my Pandora and always on fullscreen.

Of course I installed the codec pack, everything else runs fine, I watched alot of different encoded videos onto my Pandora and always on fullscreen.
Well then I'm out of ideas. The only time I've had the problem of audio with no video is when I forgot to install the codec pack, and when the video was larger than the screen (and going fullscreen solves that).

Codecpack installed, h264 720p encoded videos for the most part crawl on my Pandora.. even the with just a terminal running mplayer -vo omapfb.. There is a few exception, I found in my collection one h264 video that must of been encoded differently it plays fine..

I can however play anything encoded in XVID fine, even ones in HD resolutions. 

h264 720p encoded videos for the most part crawl on my Pandora..
Yes, they're a slideshow, but at least they play. Fusion_Power isn't getting any picture at all.
depends on the player, but I generally with smplayer I get a black screen instead of a slide show.. the picture will show when pausing though.

Back