Video games vs. other forms of art

There is a line between drug and entertainment which wasnt obvious to the notion made about art.

Measuring art against other things also has the similar shadowside that it misses the point.

Videogames can not do everything done in other art, nor is it a final answer.

And while a fantastically valid point for those who hasnt experienced it, also not making the finer points of games an artform (for me that appreciates it as such.)

It sort of meddled everything together as if they were all football teams. And to make the point again, football is good at being football,

there is an artistic side to it, but some values exist in a range of options. I want my art to be that full range, whatever it may be.

Maybe it should be unappreciated videogames vs. other appreciated and acknowledged forms of art.  I think some people need and could benefit from opening their eyes to both issues raised therein. Videogames are great fun, and a lot of art and craftwork goes into their making.

Some are made to mimic drugs, and some are masterpieces. As gamers i think its unfair to creators to call both games. A game is a game, and an antisocial-drug is something else, however many shares, likes and constantly monitored and logged mandated online multiplayer modes it has.

To a large degree micropayments, artificial paid extra content and ingame shenanigans is also contrary to art for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
wanna-joke-gid-modern-art.gif

Well "video games are art" is so devoid of meaning since the term "art" itself can mean something from modern art bullshit to a Vermeer painting. If we want to discuss thing seriously we need to use different, meaningful words.

I also see most people referring to games being "art" while those games are highly scripted or highly cinematic. If anything should be measured in videogames, it's the quality of the interaction between you and what you can do in the world of the game.

Is that not expressionism?

There is a saying "for kunsten maa vi evig vike" Which means something along the lines of "For art we must eternally step aside"

In that humans are subordinate without being lesser. I think a lot of videogame art is compromised or accidentally good. It is more of a discipline nowadays.

Even though one outshines the other, the fps scene is quite hollow. Thinking fresh and keeping away from things that are obviously tainted not only makes art, it makes for better videogames too.

Back