Video Playback?

JyuOH

Still Fresh
Well I plan on getting a gp2x within the next week and i'm curious how good the video playback is. Can it handle avi well? what about mp4/mkv.

It handles DivX/XviD AVI very well, at resolutions up to 720x480. I'm not sure if it can play other types of AVI (I assume it can't), because I haven't tried. It should technically be able to play mp4, but it doesn't (although last time I checked was a couple of Firmwares ago, they might have changed something since then). And I have no idea what mkv even is.

I just make sure I run all my videos through Pocket DivX encoder, they all run perfectly after going through that. I actually use the highest quality Archos settings on that. GP2X handles that without even clocking to the full 200 mhz (most of the time).

EDIT: PSyMastR beat me to it.

Thanks for the info! I guess i will have to encode my mkv files to something else then. Hopefully that wont be to hard.

ah, the wonders of linux... mplayer does some evil things when you try to use it to software encode dvd-ready mpeg2 from a capture card though.

Vimacs posted on Jul 20 2006 at 01:26 PM said:
mencoder foo.mkv -o bar.avi -ovc copy -oac copy

What exactly is this?

Last edited by a moderator:
command line for your mkv to avi using mencoder. either use linux command line, or a windows bat file. where foo.mkv is the source and bar.avi is the output.

it can already support OGM container like AVi but you have to rename the .ogm file to .avi.
It support MP3 and OGG audio sound codec and Xvid/Divx video codec

It does not support Xvid 1.10. It only plays back audio but not video. And MP4 is just a container format.

Back