Videos, Steam & Msn (Ebuddy) Services

TheBeast

Still Fresh
Hello all - I've recently managed to obtain an Open Pandora Handheld.
Before I begin I would like to publically show my support towards everyone who is involved in what can only be called a "Technological achievement".

I'm completely new to the Linux operating system but I'm a fast learner and can already adjust most of the settings and navigate online surprisingly easy.
However there are a few things that are causing me trouble so I've decided to ask the forum for help.

Firstly - Is it possible to run any online videos (YouTube,etc.) - Does this require a flash update?
I have browsed the forum briefly but have only come across threads that state it can't for the time being.
Has there been any updates since?

Secondly - Can the software "Steam" be installed/ used on the Pandora?

Thirdly - Is it possible to use MSN/Ebuddy on the Pandora? - I have tried Ebuddy but can't open conversations with friends online.
It simply returns to the main menu.

Help with these will be much appreciated.

So, how's minitube performing now? Still buffer problems? Can i kick back in bed and watch youtube videos now without much hassle?

Works fine for me with power save off. Power save on it freezes about 5 seconds in to buffer. I should note this is the first time I've downloaded minitube, so I couldn't tell you if my experience is because of changes to minitube, the wifi driver, or if I wouldn't have had any problems from the start.

Hello - Thanks for the prompt response
Pidgin isn't working for myself - Ive downloaded the file onto an SD card within the pandora but it refuses ti install.

What I'm I missing?

Regards

You don't "install" PNDs, per se - you just need to put them in a specific place, and then you will be able to run them. If yours aren't working and you haven't already done so, you'll need to follow the steps outlined below;

In the root of your SD Card, you need to create a directory called pandora, and within that, four more directories titled appdata (this is where save data for most PND-based applications goes), menu (placing PNDs here will cause them to appear in the Xfce desktop environment's menus, which are accessed by clicking on the Pandora button on the bottom panel), desktop (placing PNDs here will make them appear on the desktop instead of the menu), and apps (placing PNDs here will cause programs to appear in both the menus and on the desktop).

If you've already done this, and it's still not appearing and/or working, try removing and re-downloading the PND. Sometimes a bad download can prevent them from showing up.

Back