Virtual Dub Versions

Azure

Trust the recursion...
I used Virtual Dub 1.5.4 to encode a family guy episode with the settings from this site: http://www.waystation.mcmail.com/ but on the website it said that version past 1.4.7 create videos that are very big. So, I used 1.4.7 to encode the video, with the same settings and the file size was 30 megs less than the other video, but now it was a lot more pixelated. Is it supposed to be like this? I like the quality of videos that can be created from using VDUB 1.5.4, but it's nearly 50 megs per episode! What should I do?

I really do not go for this 'old version of Virtualdub produces smaller files' thing.

If it produces smaller files, it's because the quality is worse. It's got to be a bug in the older version. I'd stick to the new one if you want good quality.

You shouldn't be seeing much in the way of pixelated results, during playback in MoviePark, when using 2-pass encoding at a bitrate of 200 or above and certainly not with something short like a single episode of a show.
Even with the smaller file size derived from version 1.4.7 of Vdub, the quality is excellent with 2-pass encodes.

With 1-pass encoding use a later version of Vdub for better quality, but it will cost you in the overall size of the file.

Back