GP2X Vlc On Gp2x

some dude

Still Fresh
I know this isn't the first topic asking, but is their any shot of vlc (videolan) on gp2x. I just think it's something the gp2x could use because it can playback almost any file, only one i can think of that can't play is realplayer. The source code is some where on their site, and I think it has already been ported to some pdas, though I might need to double check on that, so what do ya'll think.

some dude said:
I know this isn't the first topic asking, but is their any shot of vlc (videolan) on gp2x. I just think it's something the gp2x could use because it can playback almost any file, only one i can think of that can't play is realplayer. The source code is some where on their site, and I think it has already been ported to some pdas, though I might need to double check on that, so what do ya'll think.
Yes, I have it running, I can stream video to my gp2x over the usb network and over wifi (tested this last week). @220Mhz I can stream a 512kbit mpeg2 stream and 64kbit mp3 audio without frameskip. :D

It is a version I have running on the Open2x firmware. I will try to optimize further (e.g. asm optimized mpeg2 lib instead of C version, use the hardware for YV12 -> YUY2 conversion (instead of C based YV12->RGB now)) and do some new benchmarks then. I also need to write a GUI for it, now you have to use telnet.

I also succeeded in playing FLV files from a samba share without frameskip @ 240Mhz. Again with only one processor and software YV12->RGB conversion.

As soon as the new open2x kernel is available with debugging of the vpp device and I have some more time, I will try to accelerate it. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Open2x is something else I am really waiting for. I hope that there will be a public release soon...

Back