Vmware... I Love It!

___

Advanced Member
Weeee.... I got my new computer now.

Intel Core 2 Duo
2GB Ram dual channel
NVidia Geforce 8400 GS

Now I am playing with vmware. Installing WinXP right now... I feel geeky.

Some questions:
Can I get rid of my windows XP installation after this? I kept this in case I wanted to dual boot but since I don't really wanna play games on my computer anyways, I think it might be safe to get rid of that load of bollocks now.

Also: The vmware server does not let me add my old ntfs partition to the vm's hardware. It tells me I do not have permission to do so. What the hell is this supposed to mean? Do I have to run vmware as superuser to do this? Is there something I missed in fstab?

Wow... vmware is a neat piece of kit.

Hehe I wanna enjoy compiz and proper video playback ^^. Yeah I wondered if I should get an Intel or AMD. Didn't have enough cash and friends told me the intel cpu was faster at certain tasks.

I have a core2duo at work and it works great.

Besides being an ass, I actualy gave your question some thought. The answer is simple, do both hahaha

like have windows for gaming stuff and whatever you're too lazy to fix in linux, yet run gentoo or slackware running in VM

and then other partition is ubuntu running windows in VM

on my core2duo 2.0 3g ram I can run 2 XP VMs using the MS soft under XP, so you can play with it quite a bit I think it could prove fun

when you're bored, switch OSes

then figure a clever way of syncing all your data to this mess

sounds cool hahaha

What's your clockspeed?

Personally I prefer Intel chips, I've had a few AMDs die and one refuse to clock up to its full speed after a year's use, but I've never had any problems with any Intel chips over about 10 years of computers (I build them and fix them as a hobby).

edit: Yeah to access that partition you'll need superuser privileges.

Also don't remove XP until you're sure that everything you want to use works on VMware.

I installed virtualbox after reading Senorquack's post... it DOES kick ass

I installed ubuntu no problem, it even have guest tools like virtual PC has and they work great

truly impressive for a free open source product =)

Hi,

Some other OSes which are worth a try under VM or even in native mode:

- Syllable --> Successor of AtheOS
- Haiku --> BeOS like
- AROS --> AmigaOS like for x86 !!!

Have fun !

Magic Sam

hey Magic Sam, nice suggestions!

I'm installing Syllable in virtualbox... it takes forever =)

I can't get arOS to run in virtualbox =(
nor can I get it running hosted on my hosted ubuntu =D

sucks, it looks really nice =(

as for haiku, it's vmware only =(

xcen said:
hey Magic Sam, nice suggestions!

I'm installing Syllable in virtualbox... it takes forever =)

Never tried it in VM, but I'm dual-booting Syllable 0.6.5 and a native Ubuntu 7.10 atm, and everything works fine :) The OS though is still green, and lacks everyday programs, so don't expect much from it...but it's promising !

I can't get arOS to run in virtualbox =(
nor can I get it running hosted on my hosted ubuntu =D
sucks, it looks really nice =(

Actually it's a wonderful OS ! Maybe it's just too much virtualization at the same time for your computer. If you really want to give AROS a try there is an ISO file on the web site for you to burn as a Live CD :)

as for haiku, it's vmware only =(

Yep, I tried it with virtualbox and it didn't work :( And I don't want to use vmware, so I'll have to wait for the first Live CD to exist ;)

Cheers, Magic Sam

Last edited by a moderator:
I was just complaining that syllable was taking a long time to install =)

Besides, I thought it was a good idea not to install grub =s so I skipped the step and, surprise surprise, it didn't boot hahaha... so now I did the long install process again =D... I'm just done actualy it's booting right now...

hmm it asks me for a root password, didn't chose one during install... think I will have to read the doc hehe

nah I'll bruteforce it....here, let's try 'root'... hey that works! L33t h4x0r!!1

so this one works, I'm checking it out

for arOS, the program works but complains about not having a bootable disk in any drive... I did RTFM but I can't figure out which step I missed

as for syllable, it's quite slow! ok... maybe I shouldn't be running virtualbox - Ubuntu /w 1g of ram + virtualPC - winXP /w 1g ram + streaming slayradio + havnig ie7 opened with 14 tabs at the same time =D

Core2Duo 2.4ghz /w 3g ram =D

hahaha as I was typing the last sentence my system froze for like 20 seconds, even numlock didn't respond =D

sillyness at lunch hour sorry

ARos looks nice... what happened to morphOS btw? I heard there was some crazy financial dispute a while ago and then I lost interest. Sad though... I would have liked to be able to run MorphOS on x86. Just checked the homepage and it seems they are selling it for ppc only now. Is it any good? I'd like an OS which enables me to run amiga games natively ^^.

Back