W00t!

]Well i seem to have unleashed a horde of nasty feelings. For the record, ON THE KUBUNTU WEBSITE, it SPECEFICALY STATES:

Can I Sell Kubuntu CDs or Computers with Kubuntu on?
Yes, Kubuntu is Free software in the sense of freedom, so you can sell it on CDs or pre-installed on computers. You must however supply the source code at cost if your customers ask for it, you can get source ISOs from http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/kubuntu/releases...release/source/.

If your product name or advertising uses the word Kubuntu or the Kubuntu logo you must get a trademark licence from Canonical which is usually available at no cost.

There, happy? The producers themselves are saying that you can sell the cd's. Are we clear now?

Azalin posted on Sep 18 2006 at 03:45 AM said:
Man,(or girl, if you prefer), Kubuntu is THE best OS ever created! I mean, not only do you get the cd's shipped for free all the way from france, but you can also SELL said cd's! And then the actual OS is amazing! I've spent 6 hours setting it up, and the amount of customizability litterally blows my mind :blink:

Now...To find games to play...

Agreed.

Last edited by a moderator:
I installed Fedora Core 5 after trying live CD's of Knoppix, Ubuntu,and Suse.

Decided I liked the feel of knoppix the best (but there's no install <_<)
Read up that it was based on FC5, so chose to install that.

My opinion is that it's an OS, so what.
It allows me to surf and do basic editting, which is all I want at the Mo.
I dual boot Windows (98 :D) for games or other apps that I can't be arsed chasing up Linux versions for.

Here's what I hate about Linux coz it gets in the way:
There is no package distribution format for all distros, everybody wants their own, and that muddies the water, especially if no one's compiled one for your distro.
Every app has it's own way of doing stuff, because every app is written by a different group that has their own idea about how to go about doing it.
Every app has a different install method and sometimes a different disk area to install to. Just because that's how the install writer wants theirs. The hassle I had trying to find & update Firefox :rolleyes:
Programs do still crash and need terminating. Maybe I'm just lucky enough to try the wrong thing, but a crash is still a ball-ache for a new user.
Linux is still controlled by arcane text files. Yes I'm sure there are some nice GUI's to interface to them -- if you can find them. Trying to see windows partitions was a particular nightmare of edit's and su'ing and commands not on the path.

So some of these things also happen in Windows -- but I'm used to windows and can work it out.

Linux is not the great challenger to Windows that some people seem to think it should be.
And it won't be until there is a common interface style, common disk layout and simple set-up options.
The live CD's are the closest thing so far.

But I suppose you'll say that there lies it's greatest strength.
Ask me again in a couple of months :ph34r:

What distro are you on? Red Hat 4?

You don't need to look at a text file to configure Linux. Everything can be done in a GUI. Just because you can, doesn't mean you have to :)

I run Ubuntu and GNOME, and there's a system menu that lets you configure quite possibly everything you'll ever need. In Mandriva, they go one step further and have a central Control Panel, just like in Windows.

For conversion between the main two package formats, .rpm and .deb, there's a tool called alien. As for stuff installing in different places, does it matter? There's pretty much no need to actually *access* the folder it's in. Even more so than in Windows, thanks to package management.

Updating FF is done automatically!

Every app has it's own way of doing stuff, because every app is written by a different group that has their own idea about how to go about doing it.
Oh, and it's not like this in Windows at all then? On that note, I just launched six GTK+ applications. Guess what? They all look the same and feel the same. There isn't actually much similarity in Windows at all, but it seems so because of the standard fonts and colours.

So some of these things also happen in Windows -- but I'm used to windows and can work it out.
That makes a number of your points about Linux void anyway.

I advise you to get off your arse and try stuff ;)

EDIT: Oh, and NTFS is being worked on, but give the guys a break - they have to get around some strange proprietary disk format.

gp32rich posted on Sep 20 2006 at 11:15 AM said:
I installed Fedora Core 5 after trying live CD's of Knoppix, Ubuntu,and Suse.

Decided I liked the feel of knoppix the best (but there's no install <_<)
Read up that it was based on FC5, so chose to install that.

My opinion is that it's an OS, so what.
It allows me to surf and do basic editting, which is all I want at the Mo.
I dual boot Windows (98 :D) for games or other apps that I can't be arsed chasing up Linux versions for.

Here's what I hate about Linux coz it gets in the way:
There is no package distribution format for all distros, everybody wants their own, and that muddies the water, especially if no one's compiled one for your distro.
Every app has a different install method and sometimes a different disk area to install to. Just because that's how the install writer wants theirs. The hassle I had trying to find & update Firefox :rolleyes:
Programs do still crash and need terminating. Maybe I'm just lucky enough to try the wrong thing, but a crash is still a ball-ache for a new user.
Linux is still controlled by arcane text files. Yes I'm sure there are some nice GUI's to interface to them -- if you can find them. Trying to see windows partitions was a particular nightmare of edit's and su'ing and commands not on the path.

Linux is not the great challenger to Windows that some people seem to think it should be.
And it won't be until there is a common interface style, common disk layout and simple set-up options.
The live CD's are the closest thing so far.

But I suppose you'll say that there lies it's greatest strength.
if you keep at it these hates won't bother you and you will work them out, just need to get used to it. I did anyways

gp32rich posted on Sep 20 2006 at 04:15 PM said:
I installed Fedora Core 5
Don't tell me: It's been updated. That one's for experienced users. [MyFave(tm)] is much easier.
I chose FC5 cuz Knoppix was based on it and I liked Knoppix the best.
I advise you to get off your arse and try stuff
gp32rich posted on Sep 20 2006 at 04:15 PM said:
I'm kinda stubborn and this thing *won't* beat me.
I *want* to move to Linux, but the learning curve is fairly steep right now as there's a lot to find out.
I'm taking it slowly, having a breather, going back, trying not to get frustrated.
I don't have the enthusiasm for tinkering with a system that I once had.

The problem with accessing partitions I was having was fdisk being put in /sbin which wasn't on the path.
I'd found the how-to for it and was following that, but this problem made me pull my hair out. It didn't beat me. I got it done. Remembering to 'su' was a pain, until I spotted the menu for Root Explorer something or other.

I was updating FF with Flashplayer and that install script expected FF to be somewhere other than it was (and run by someone that may have been root).
There's an installer script(yum) that I grabbed from FedoraFaq.org that updated FF, but it's command line and you need to know the package you want and hope that nothing goes wrong because it seems like a black box that just does stuff. I have ended up with less control.

If I was a novice I'd probably had said enough and gone back to M$.
Linux doesn't do things noticeably better or faster than Windows.

I freely admit that windows has it faults and Win98 is obsolete, even though it can be made to work if you're careful with it. 'liquid' user interfaces are creeping in there too. (I blame the mac for getting arty-farty types involved :p)

So. Ask me again in a couple of months.

One last thing ... why are some packages distributed for redhat, some for Suse, etc, etc.
Do I really need to get the correct one, or will any -i586 package work with any Linux?

Back