Want to contribute on geocaching project for pyra? C++, qtquick

myNewUsername

So .. I will buy the Pyra and i do geocaching. I started on a project for and have realized i will not get it done anytime soon with the current rate of progress.. Work and kids priority etc. It is written in QT quick because of all the useful libraries. And graphics. I have c++ and embedded linux experience, but This is my first QT project.

State of project:

Statechart and prelimainary statemachine for menus. I think the logic is good.

It reads a caches with coordinates from a .gpx file and shows a them on a 'radar' type of view, where real world distance is exponential of what is displayes. This gives a high resolution for caches that are close, and low resolution for those who are fat away. I have never seen this in other GCSW so that is pretty unique. gpx files can be downloaded from geocaching.com

The program/menu has space for more functions that can live side by side, i want to implement an averager, where you can log position several times and use the average when you place a new cache.

It reading and writing of database is protoryped.

Actual position from gps has not been tried, i current update the user position manually just to test stuff,

Anyways, if you eant to contribute to this project in any way, please shout out. Either with new functions, menu logic, graphics or other thing. One reason i dont spend too much time on this is that coding alone gets tireing.

I will make the code, screenshots and what i have of design dok available pretty soon (GIT,GPL).

I would love to hear how you get on with QtQuick; I was going to try and use Panorama/QtQuick for my location application, but with my little time, I've not got very far, and half tempted to bake my own UI using SDL or Allegro because it'd probably take me less time

I would love to hear how you get on with QtQuick; I was going to try and use Panorama/QtQuick for my location application, but with my little time, I've not got very far, and half tempted to bake my own UI using SDL or Allegro because it'd probably take me less time
It was a learning curve for sure and i dont think i have always done it the qt quick way. QtQuick is very very fast to develop with if you can use ready made components, which i guess is the intended usecase. Design guys with their QML, telling the c++ nerds what components they need =) I am a c++ guy and not very into javascript, so i made components and the backend in c++/QT. This ways the safer route for me. The biggest "issue" for was the overhead introduced by generating QtQuick components in c++ and making these available to the QML gui. Other than that, i like the model/view paradigm, signals and slots, and properties. Will be learning more QT and QtQuick.

+ really good documentation and examples. I also bought a book, QtQuick blueprints or something, but recommend using online tutorials instead, they are just as good. This is a learning project for me so i spent my time quite happily for a while =)

My bluetooth GPS crashed on me so i never got to test real gps input, but the tutorial look manageable and geoclue which it draws data from seems very capable. It can use multiple sources not just gps.

I have not tried panorama and dont know what it adds to QtQuick. If it has a library of component then thats a very good thing, what i found in QtCreator was not impressive =)

Panorama is a QtQuick runtime with a configuration and plugin system plus a few extra features. At the time pretty much only PNDManager uses it. Nothing too special. For components there are some standard ones, but I've usually made my own from the basic ones unless I need richer controls.

Back