Web Based Game

jlebrech

UFO Robot
I have a game i have been developing, and i would find it quite nice if it worked on the pandora.

the problem is that its web based and relies on jquery for it to work.

could someone test it out its http://code.google.com/p/ajaxmmo the demo is one of the links.

i would like a few people who know a bit of python and javascript to help out too. thanks :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, it was lagging like crazy on my Athlon XP, so I'm going to bet... probably not extremely playable. :p

But that's with Firefox 3.0; 3.1 or 3.2 should be faster.

Yes, it is quite slow.

In an ideal world, you`d be using <canvas> for drawing, but only Firefox 3, Opera 9 and new enough webkit (Chrome 1.0, Safari 3). There is ExCanvas for IE CODE
http://excanvas.sourceforge.net/
, but users would have to install it. [EDIT] I was wrong about ExCanvas, you don't need to install it, but it uses either Flash or VML, so it's probably slow.

It`s quite possible to get very good performance if you stay away from the DOM as much as possible. Look at CODE
bespin.mozilla.com
, it`s all drawn in a <canvas>. Theirs needs canvas with text rendering support, so don`t worry about their message that your browser isn`t supported.

You might also want to look into Pyjamas CODE
http://pyjs.org/
so you can write the whole thing in Python.

I have experience with Python and Javascript and some with django and I`d like to help, but I`m not sure I have the time.

yeah ive used the canvas before.
i wanted to bind to individual dom objects for the click events. but now im transposing the screen coordinate anyway so i could use canvas now.

the speed issue is with the json being duplicated, im implementing a memcache system next.

but yes the drawing will be quicker with canvas :)

I tried it on IE (yeah yeah, i know) on an AMD dual core 2.6mhz. Big errors. When i mouse over the playing field, the browser jumps to the upper left of the page, the page gets bigger, and the map moves more to the bottom leftedit: right.

Firefox 3.0.something, standard Ubuntu 8.10 version.
Core 2 Duo, 2GB of RAM.

It doesn't use much CPU, but it's really slow and the character only moves one square at a time, very slowly.

yeh guys, its very limited to firefox at the moment.

i could can it, and leave this as a tech demo, and move to flash.

ive been thinking about developing for pandora now that the toolchain script is out.

'jlebrech' said:
yeh guys, its very limited to firefox at the moment.

i could can it, and leave this as a tech demo, and move to flash.

ive been thinking about developing for pandora now that the toolchain script is out.
I've tried my hand at a javascript-only game with some success before and I've been thinking about <canvas> use. I would have used flash if not for the unpleasantness of developing, crashy runtimes and general lock-in and closeness.

'sindbad' said:
I would have used flash if not for the unpleasantness of developing.
The good news is that there are now plenty of development approaches for targeting the flash platform, like mtasc, flex, and haxe. Entire projects targeting flash can be developed on open architectures.

Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz 2GB RAM here. Just to be different from everyone else (and because I don't have Firefox on this computer) I ran it on Google Chrome. It was a little laggy but not unbearably slow. I would expect Chrome to have superior Javascript performance though, that is one of its major selling points.

Chrome's V8 engine is pretty good, but I've heard that Firefox is just slightly beating them in the latest source builds.

'lulzfish' said:
Chrome's V8 engine is pretty good, but I've heard that Firefox is just slightly beating them in the latest source builds.
Maybe, but who here is using those?

Back