webcam recording

joachim

After trying to find elsewhere and not finding here it goes.

Is there an easy soft for recording with the webcam (how). So far it works with ffmpeg but I would like mplayer or something to watch and record at the same time like Kaffeine. I can get pics with camcoder but get error when trying to make video (no mencoder). I am using Slackware 14.1. 

Thanks for help.

Could you please post the exact error you get, along with pndrun_camcoder.out file?

PS. recording video with live perview never worked in camcoder. It is implemented (select the first entry in the menu, press 'v' when preview shows up), but it never worked on my system.

Last edited by a moderator:
If i remember completely. Using the panda operatyng system(whatever it was callez) and a microsoft webcam it worked with Mplayer

Guvcview is working so far but gets only 9fps at 1.2 Ghz.

Mplayer is told to work for recording but how ? To view just use mplayer tv://

The error in camcoder is : could not start mencoder

.outfile

=======================================================================================
PND             : /media/64GB/pandora/menu/camcoder.pnd
PND_FSTYPE      : Squashfs
APPDATADIR      : /media/64GB/pandora/appdata/camcoder
APPDD_FSTYPE    : vfat
PND_CPUSPEED    : <unset>
EXENAME         : ./run.sh
ARGUMENTS       : <unset>
=======================================================================================
[ START ]--- Mount the PND ----------
Mounting : mount -t squashfs -o ro "/dev/loop3" "/mnt/utmp/camcoder"
Mounting the Union FS : mount -t aufs -o exec,noplink,dirs="/media/64GB/pandora/appdata/camcoder=rw+nolwh":"/mnt/pnd/camcoder=rr" none "/mnt/utmp/camcoder"
[sUCCESS]--- Mount the PND ----------
[ START ]--- Starting the application ( ./run.sh  ) ----------

(zenity:20374): Gtk-WARNING **: Theme parsing error: gtk.css:102:18: Not using units is deprecated. Assuming 'px'.

(zenity:20374): Gtk-WARNING **: Theme parsing error: gtk.css:102:20: Not using units is deprecated. Assuming 'px'.

(zenity:20374): GLib-WARNING **: giounix.c:412Error while getting flags for FD: Ungültiger Dateideskriptor (9)

./mencoder: error while loading shared libraries: libmp3lame.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
menu/Video record (compressed).sh: Zeile 20: kill: (20404) - Kein passender Prozess gefunden

(zenity:20406): Gtk-WARNING **: Theme parsing error: gtk.css:102:18: Not using units is deprecated. Assuming 'px'.

(zenity:20406): Gtk-WARNING **: Theme parsing error: gtk.css:102:20: Not using units is deprecated. Assuming 'px'.

(zenity:20419): Gtk-WARNING **: Theme parsing error: gtk.css:102:18: Not using units is deprecated. Assuming 'px'.

(zenity:20419): Gtk-WARNING **: Theme parsing error: gtk.css:102:20: Not using units is deprecated. Assuming 'px'.

(zenity:20419): GLib-WARNING **: giounix.c:412Error while getting flags for FD: Ungültiger Dateideskriptor (9)

[sUCCESS]--- Starting the application ( ./run.sh  ) ----------
[ START ]--- Restoring the frame buffer status ----------
[sUCCESS]--- Restoring the frame buffer status ----------
[ START ]--- uMount the PND ----------
[ START ]--- Waiting the Union to be available ----------
[sUCCESS]--- Waiting the Union to be available ----------
rmdir: konnte „/mnt/utmp/camcoder“ nicht entfernen: Das Gerät oder die Ressource ist belegt
[ START ]--- Waiting the PND mount dir to be free ----------
[sUCCESS]--- Waiting the PND mount dir to be free ----------
cleanup done
[sUCCESS]--- uMount the PND ----------
Return code is : 10

You should be able to add the -dumpstream option to mplayer. I think. Maybe. If you don't have a chance to do it I'll try it tonight myself.

I used dumpstream but it didn't work. There is also dumpvideo option and something is saved but gives black video and big file. Maybe I miss some options.

Hmmm, haven't figured out an easy way to display and record at the same time yet, but I was able to record with mencoder, just needed to install it first.

# opkg install mencoder

$ mencoder tv:// -tv driver=v4l2:width=320:height=240 -o test.wav -ovc copy

I tried mencoder in SZ and it worked but most times I use Slackware and it seems there is no mencoder. In SZ codecs are installed but camcoder got the same error when trying to record from webcam.

Back