What About Adding Expresscard Slot?

timofonic

GP Mafia
Hello.

What about adding a ExpressCard slot?

This slot could make the system more expandable and future proof. With a device like this you could add graphics adapters, Solid State Drives, Card readers...

An ExpressCard|34 (34x75mm) or ExpressCard|54 (54x75mm) is bigger than SD (32x24mm), but I think at least the 34 one could fit. Another problem could be the second SD slot, but I think that's redundant compared to the possibilities of an ExpressCard slot.

Regards.

But it would delay getting the pandora by a ton.

It would mean a complete redesign and everything.

TheLonelyGod said:

Agreed. I don't want to wait another 6 months for a feature most people won't even use.

Last edited by a moderator:
ExpressCard is physically USB 2.0 (we already have that), and PCI-Express x1.

I don't see the PCI-Express standard being included here, and I doubt that the OMAP has it (If I am wrong, then I am sure that the board engineer will put the traces out so that we can add it later, but I seriously doubt I am wrong.)

USB 2.0 has more than enough bandwidth for anything we could possibly do with this. There is no room for ExpressCard, this is barely larger than the original Nintendo DS. The current drive is to have a fairly large battery for extended runtime and the ability to power USB devices (as well as the internal wifi.)

Sphinxter said:
What's to stick in it? Still waiting for the market to be flooded with pci-express cards and don't even see any linux drivers for the ones that do exist outside of the major video players.
?????

PCI-Express 1 and 1.1 are just a transport layer for the PCI/AGP bus (AGP is just higher clocked one-way PCI), so there is no need for "drivers" aside from support for the motherboard with the PCIe slots.

I think Creative Finally released a PCIe audio card.

Like I said, what do we need that kind of bandwidth for? We aren't going to need any more I/O past USB 2.0.

atomicthumbs said:
Can we also add an AM2+ socket for accepting better CPUs than the OMAp3530 while we're at it?
No we should go AM3 so we have a chance, or hybrid LGA 775/AM3+

Why are you bagging a reasonable suggestion? The expresscard technology is geared towards mobile devices (albeit laptop computers). Anyways, I suggested this last year in saehn's original thread but it went largely unnoticed. However in considering battery life, support and cost I think the developers have made the best choice in including 2x SD card slots.

quartercast said:
Why are you bagging a reasonable suggestion? The expresscard technology is geared towards mobile devices (albeit laptop computers). Anyways, I suggested this last year in saehn's original thread but it went largely unnoticed. However in considering battery life, support and cost I think the developers have made the best choice in including 2x SD card slots.
Sorry, for PCIe you would need something special, a northbridge, the whole point of this is that it is a System on a single chip, and it is 65nm. (I think the first 65nm chipsets are just coming out).

If you wanted to use Expresscard and just the USB part of the specification, why? Anything offered via Expresscard is also offered on USB, and at a price 5-10x cheaper.

If there is a reasonable argument for expresscard I would like to hear it. (What expansion device does this need that isn't available on USB 2.0 already, and for cheaper?)

Battery life in more ways than one, we would have to cut the battery size in half to fit this in, not even counting the PCIe chipset it would need to run it.

TheLonelyGod said:

And if that happened all the Pandora enthusiasts (the small amount) will get together, ignite their torches and run at timofonic with pitchforks in hand.

Not to mention the Pandora would cost more!

nubie said:
If you wanted to use Expresscard and just the USB part of the specification, why? Anything offered via Expresscard is also offered on USB, and at a price 5-10x cheaper.

If there is a reasonable argument for expresscard I would like to hear it. (What expansion device does this need that isn't available on USB 2.0 already, and for cheaper?)
Sorry, but I don't pay big $$ for a stylish, compact device just to walk around with a fugly USB dongle/cable dangling off from it. As you say, the Expresscard is unsuitable for the pandora, but merely suggesting it is not outrageous or unreasonable - especially for someone who doesn't have an underlying knowledge of the components. At least we are talking about mobile components, unlike AM3 chipsets at this point. As I said, I'm happy with the 2x SD card slots which will come standard on the Pandora.

timofonic said:
With a device like this you could add graphics adapters, Solid State Drives, Card readers...
Sorry, but I don't pay big $$ for a stylish, compact device just to walk around with a fugly USB dongle/cable dangling off from it.
Graphics adapters: You don't even get to upgrade these on 99.9999% of full sized laptops, let alone something barly bigger than a DS. The Pandora already has built in 3d acceleration anyway.
Solid state drives: It's called an SD card. They're surprisingly cheap.
Card readers: Get a mini/micro SD to full sized SD convertor. That covers a couple of extra formats. How many people are actually going to need to access cards other than SD while they're out and about? If you do you're likely already carrying other devices that use these cards and a bag to hold them all so a small usb card reader wont' make any difference.
Dongle plugged in all the time?: A dongle that does what? What's that important that you need it plugged in all the time? Only one I can think of is bluetooth, and you can get dongles that stick out only half a centimeter. You should be thankful it even has a powered usb port at all. I don't know ANY other device this size with one.

I hate to be nasty and shoot you down like this but I just can't see the sense in adding on something that's doesn't appear to have much use for it, which means you can't really gurantee it won't go unused on 99% of pandoras. Everything I've read on this forum over the past month or two indicates the pandora's hardware is already pretty much finalized as it is.

The only possible reason to use this that I can think of is for modding. And some internal usb headders would be much better suited and would leave less wasted space for those of us who don't plan to mod. Check out this page on an eeePC mod: http://beta.ivancover.com/wiki/index.php/E...ternal_Upgrades
10 or so devices all squished in there at once, and most of them are connected to usb, in this case including 2 usb hubs to run it all off. Many parts simply being tiny dongles that had been stripped of their case/connector.

Zarneth said:
Check out this page on an eeePC mod: http://beta.ivancover.com/wiki/index.php/E...ternal_Upgrades

That makes me wonder - do you think there will be enough space in the pandora for doing a similar sort of internal bluetooth mod? I doubt there will be enough space for an internal hub - but if there's an unused internal USB then maybe I could find a space to squeeze in a stripped down USB bluetooth device?

Hmmm.

Thanks for the link Zarneth!

nubie said:
Sphinxter said:
What's to stick in it? Still waiting for the market to be flooded with pci-express cards and don't even see any linux drivers for the ones that do exist outside of the major video players.
?????

PCI-Express 1 and 1.1 are just a transport layer for the PCI/AGP bus (AGP is just higher clocked one-way PCI), so there is no need for "drivers" aside from support for the motherboard with the PCIe slots.

I think Creative Finally released a PCIe audio card.

Like I said, what do we need that kind of bandwidth for? We aren't going to need any more I/O past USB 2.0.

Thanks for the education however I will need a driver for that hot ATI theater chip card since it's the only decent HDTV in pci-e form available in the empty market to actually use it after plugging it into the funny hole in the mommy board but there isn't any.

Sphinxter said:
Thanks for the education however I will need a driver for that hot ATI theater chip card since it's the only decent HDTV in pci-e form available in the empty market to actually use it after plugging it into the funny hole in the mommy board but there isn't any.
Sorry, I fill all my empty x1 slots with GeForce cards that I used a dremel to cut down to x1 (no seriously, I have pictures http://picasaweb.google.com/nubie07/PCIEX1...129101232834674 )

I am watching the netpatia blog with much interest http://netpatia.blogspot.com/2006/09/multi...ith-ubuntu.html 4 users on one pc anyone? Finally a use for the ridiculous power supplies and quad core processors available for so little now.

Seriously though, for the Pandora USB 2.0 will be fine.

quartercast said:
nubie said:

Sorry, but I don't pay big $$ for a stylish, compact device just to walk around with a fugly USB dongle/cable dangling off from it. As you say, the Expresscard is unsuitable for the pandora, but merely suggesting it is not outrageous or unreasonable - especially for someone who doesn't have an underlying knowledge of the components. At least we are talking about mobile components, unlike AM3 chipsets at this point. As I said, I'm happy with the 2x SD card slots which will come standard on the Pandora.

OK, granted it isn't unreasonable, but once educated we can see it is highly impractical and more expensive.

An alternate suggestion would be an "internal" or recessed USB slot. Most USB dongles function fine when you knock off their cases, and a slim slot with a USB in the bottom would be fine for just about anything you want.

Out of curiosity, what exactly needs expanding? Bluetooth is a given, need that Wii controller connected, and a network to your mobile internet.

I can't think of any borderline useful ExpressCard devices for this device (once agian, that wouldn't be accommodated more cheaply, both in space and money, with a recessed USB 2.0 slot.)

I would foresee a bulged lid that has a nice USB port on the back, or two, and protects them with a plastic cover. That makes the most sense, it wouldn't change at all the part of the machine you use, need only 4 small conductors to come from the base, you wouldn't see it when in use, cons would be a thicker closed unit.

On a tangent, you could have a ExpressCard (or a Mini-PCIe internal style slot) in the back of the lid, but it would only accept the USB cards on that spec (not PCI Express), so it would confuse and infuriate everyone, not to mention once again that the USB 2.0 Thumbsticks would have it for much less money, and you could get two on the back of the lid.

The proper modded lid would have no USB connector, just bare thumbstick boards of your choice double-foam-taped down and wired in. The bulge would be hardly noticeable, and you could have two of them for that cool "Dodge Viper Coupe" Helmet bulges look.

It is easier to mod the lid because you only need one piece of fairly simple plastic, and it doesn't expose the innards to dust.

Matter of fact, maybe we should petition now for an optional USB hub integrator, I will start a new topic.

nubie said:
Sorry, I fill all my empty x1 slots with GeForce cards that I used a dremel to cut down to x1 (no seriously, I have pictures http://picasaweb.google.com/nubie07/PCIEX1...129101232834674

That's awesome, do you have pictures of the modded parts? I can't really see which bits you have cut down to size on those photos. Are both the cards actually used in SLI with this mod? I thought you needed a bridging connector, or maybe that's only if you want both slots to run at 16x..

Yup, you go ahead and mod the case lid of your Pandora and tuck in some USB device boards...unfortunately not everone has the 'sk1llz', maybe you could make guide for that :D

nubie said:
Out of curiosity, what exactly needs expanding? Bluetooth is a given, need that Wii controller connected, and a network to your mobile internet.
If bluetooth is all you want, you hardly have to go hacking up the case. They make USB bluetooth dongles pretty damn small. Hardly a "fugly USB dongle/cable".

And if you're going to ask for absurd, never-going-to-happen expansion slots, why not go straight for PCI express 2.0?

Back