What About Saturn Emulation?

junker said:
Also, the best emulator I've seen is SSF. It IS the best, isn't it? Perfect aside from inability to make the 3D graphics look smoother with AA etc.
It doesn't run on Linux, even with WINE. :angry:

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm starting to believe this whole conversation is moot, as the only FOSS, portable saturn emulator is Yabause, and it's not that great even on the PC version. There's already been some discussion over on their forums about a pandora port, and the official response from the team is, "What can the Pandora community do for us?"
So, if anyone who can code or donate money wants a saturn emulator on the pandora, head over there and start working (or donating and sending emails).
There are windows, mac, linux, dreamcast and wii versions of the emulator already, so it sounds like this port should be as straightforward as any of them.

jbr said:
I'm starting to believe this whole conversation is moot, as the only FOSS, portable saturn emulator is Yabause, and it's not that great even on the PC version. There's already been some discussion over on their forums about a pandora port, and the official response from the team is, "What can the Pandora community do for us?"
So, if anyone who can code or donate money wants a saturn emulator on the pandora, head over there and start working (or donating and sending emails).
There are windows, mac, linux, dreamcast and wii versions of the emulator already, so it sounds like this port should be as straightforward as any of them.
I think the more general idea should be to turn them onto the idea of an ARM port. Unfortunately, it would be difficult convincing them there's an ARM core out there worth the port. Hopefully the Cortex A9 could change that for the future.

jbr said:
There's a PSP port too. It shares the same thing in common with the other console ports - it's too slow to be usable. It'd be the same story on Pandora.

But being a fast enough emulator would inherently make it unportable (at least not completely)

scrag_10 said:
MESS emulator supports saturn.
http://www.mess.org/
though it is not made for speed, and isn't complete.
I have never used it.

No offense to the MESS team, but it "supports" a lot of things that barely have anything done. If I were them I wouldn't even list all of these things and instead focus more on improving what they have.

I cant beleve some people still think the sega saturn was/is a rubbish console and that it didnt have any good games ? on top of that it seems alot of you guys dont realise theres a very fine saturn emulator on
pc that is still currently worked on and its not satourne or cassini,infact this emulator runs nearly all saturn games perfectly,full fps and has perfect quad emulation meaning correct graphics emulation,you need one hell of a pc to run it tho untill if has been optimised for multicpu's.

The saturn was in my opinion way ahead of the psx in graphics and it also had better sound !
on top of that,untill sega ended its life early it had nearly all the top psx games on its platform
and had the best collection of only on a sega machine games as well.
It had the best driving games for sure and the fighting games were also better,then there are
the top 3rd party games that were only on saturn such as radiant silver gun that make buying
a sega saturn today a worthwhile investment.

The atari jaguar has three good games,i know this as i have two fully boxed jaguar consoles
with quite a few games and these games are ,tempest,doom,avp.
to argue of talk about the jaguar having superiority over the sega saturn in terms of what
system should be ported/emulated to pandora - the answer is easy.

Last thing is ,many people can go play a psx game on the pc or else where and with
current setups and filters the psx does clean up nicly,the saturn does not as not many
have played saturn emulated or otherwise ,but be asured when you see a sega saturn game
with filters on and bumped up rez you will be suprised how good the system can look
and does make the psx look a little pale.

cheers

Paddy

Thank you very much for your opinion Paddy :)

Any coder in the house besides Exo ? :D

What the coders can say about this theme? Thanks ;)

paddy said:
I cant beleve some people still think the sega saturn was/is a rubbish console and that it didnt have any good games ? on top of that it seems alot of you guys dont realise theres a very fine saturn emulator on
pc that is still currently worked on and its not satourne or cassini,infact this emulator runs nearly all saturn games perfectly,full fps and has perfect quad emulation meaning correct graphics emulation,you need one hell of a pc to run it tho untill if has been optimised for multicpu's.

care to share what emulator it is?

Personally, I don't agree that the Saturn was more graphically advanced than the Playstation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sega_saturn

Wikipedia said:
Compared to the PlayStation, the Saturn's hardware was difficult to work with because of its more complex graphics hardware and lesser overall performance, as noted by Lobotomy Software programmer Ezra Dreisbach.[5] In order to bring Duke Nukem 3D and Powerslave/Exhumed to the Saturn, Lobotomy Software had to almost entirely rewrite the build engine to get adequate performance from the Saturn.[5] Also, during testing of an unreleased Quake port for the PlayStation, the Saturn's performance was found to be notably inferior for the game.[5]

Pleng said:
paddy said:

care to share what emulator it is?

the emulator is ssf and here is a link to the ssf homepage , i have been following the
progress of ssf for over two years now and it has come a long way,the author is still
actively working on ssf.

http://www7a.biglobe.ne.jp/~phantasy/ssf/index.html

from another quote,i have read before that the saturn is infact a more powerfull
machine than the psx ,i beleve this to be true however ,i didnt say that it was
a program friendly system but sega re'released updated dev software kits
that made it much easiler to program for,tho this was released late on and didnt
have the effect sega would have wanted,sega jp however had found ways to
get the saturn doing tricks that were never thought possible and a later game
burning rangers for saturn showed some superb high rez graphics with hard to
do effects.

The problem is that SSF is imposible to port with decent frames to Pandora.No open source code...

I believe that people were looking at yabause as the emulator to port, if one were to be done. The reason being, Yabause is open source, and has been ported to several different platforms already, like the dreamcast and the wii.

The Playstation is graphically superior to the Saturn. Sega had intended to make another 2D-centric system, but then they found out about the Playstation offering 3D graphics for cheaper than their system was planned to sell for. They tacked on some extra chips at the last minute in an attempt to offer 3D capabilities, but it was very poorly done and offered horrible performance. They dropped the Saturn soon after it's release and quickly rushed through the development of the Dreamcast to try and earn back some of the money they lost, but they were too slow and ran out of money before they could properly market the Dreamcast. The hardware division of Sega had actually closed up almost a year before the announcement that the Dreamcast would be the last Sega system.

Ironically the Saturn and Dreamcast became a huge success in Japan soon after the announcement. Sadly it was too late to reassemble the hardware team and they were too short of money at that point to try and build a new team.

Please, i don´t want another PS vs Saturn graphics war.

I want answers to my initial question, thank you ;)

paddy said:
from another quote,i have read before that the saturn is infact a more powerfull
machine than the psx ,i beleve this to be true however

your quotes are rubbish, mate.

dak said:
paddy said:
machine than the psx ,i beleve this to be true however

your quotes are rubbish, mate.

Say what you want but until I see a game that looks as good as Shenmue on the Playstation, I won't believe that the Saturn was graphically inferior. Both systems had their ups and downs and both were great systems with great games.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUe9ASlu9Us

bustaballs said:
Say what you want but until I see a game that looks as good as Shenmue on the Playstation, I won't believe that the Saturn was graphically inferior. Both systems had their ups and downs and both were great systems with great games.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUe9ASlu9Us

Unreleased games that were retooled for other platforms are fair game eh? Then how about this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jq9oCaYlBlE

bustaballs said:
That's pretty impressive. Why was it canceled?
It wasn't. Same with Shenmue. It was just moved to another platform. It was probably developed too late in the PS1's lifetime.

Back