What Are You Playing This Weekend? (Any Machine, Gph/op/whatever)

EvilDragon said:
Continued playing Tales of Symphonia on the GC. Mostly always playing RPGs :)

I also played some N64 on Pandora to select the games to show tomorrow :)

*hopes super smash bros is on that list*

Last edited by a moderator:
skeezix said:
authoreyes -- I should start working on a smaller more focuses project, back to my tile engine; working on a huge multiplayer game is eating up waaaaay too much time, and not getting anywhere quick ;) I'm sort of thinking that .. smaller scoped games are more 'immediate', which is more satisfying.
jeff
Or maybe fixing up minimenu a bit? I know you were talking about that but then nothing ever happened with it.

If you don't intend to do anything with it anymore than maybe you could release the source? Maybe someone could hack around with it and make the improvements that way?

DaveC said:
Or maybe fixing up minimenu a bit? I know you were talking about that but then nothing ever happened with it.

If you don't intend to do anything with it anymore than maybe you could release the source? Maybe someone could hack around with it and make the improvements that way?
Remember when-ever you groan, you get a week penalty ;)
Source are here (this as always been open-source).
Last time I hear something about minimenu was skeezix asking me for a new feature in pnd_run.sh to use in minimenu just for you.
While I've done my part, I learn 2 days ago that my edits broke documentation (Y) and I dont have anyway to test anymore (until after christmass) so, I'm holding the release sorry :(

Simon the Sorcerer on my Pandora. It looks great on the small screen and despite this being at least the 4th time I've played it It's still great fun.

DaveC said:
skeezix said:
authoreyes -- I should start working on a smaller more focuses project, back to my tile engine; working on a huge multiplayer game is eating up waaaaay too much time, and not getting anywhere quick ;) I'm sort of thinking that .. smaller scoped games are more 'immediate', which is more satisfying.
jeff

Dude, minimenu and libpnd and all that has been open source day zero ;)

But there are some minimenu and libpnd changes coming soon; actually last night I was mulling over some things, thought I'd ask you what you thought --

ie: Regarding the old option to have appdata in the 'same place' as the pnd-file, I wanted to know if you thought that should be a 'global config' option (set it once, instantly and always applies to all apps), or on a per-something basis (ie: per-directory or per-app or some-thing.)

Easiest woudl be a pure global .. flip the flag and blammo, and makes sense .. if you prefer it that way, you'd prefer it all the way. But is there a case for liking some apps to have their app-data nearby, and others to just use the 'canonical' location?

(I do not intend on building a menu item into minimenu to do that, since it has to work for xfce and every other environment; but making it in conf files would make it unused. I coudl make a toggle-script that shows up in the menus, a la EDs various config menu scripts.. or make it something like you stick a file '.keepdata' in the same dir as a pnd, and that means to keep the appdata there, or something. I did think about making it so you have put a dir 'appdata' into the same place as the .pnd-file, then the system would put appdata there. (ie: ./foo.pnd would then have ./appdata/foo-123/*), which would seem a not bad way to do it .. but it'd be just as easy to a System pnd that gives you a setting menu ..)

jeff

sebt3: Whats holding yu up until post-Xmas? Going back home and no hacking time? (if so, good for you :) -- I think a pretty recent pnd_run.sh of yours is in git for some time .. is that one good, or is that the one with broken documentation? or do you have a newer one?I did a bunch of changes with support for that, but haven't had time to test nor release stuff, but figured to do it 'soonish'. We're in crunch-time in real life (This whole year has been total crunch suckage for me, but especially right now .. mid-December I'm back to 'free', with 'freeze time' .. woo :)

sebt3: Looks like you also removed some of the 'dependancy voodoo' that we'd added but not used yet.

Well, I've been playing Persona 4 on my PS2 (I just finished P3 FES some time ago). I'm still waiting to play the first 3 Persona games (two released in America and one recently fan-translated) until my Pandora arrives :). It's a great RPG series, pretty involving and quite interesting to fuse all the different demons. It's a little bit like Pokemon, only with big scary critters intead of cute small ones :p.

dave - is now the time for an ovr editor as well, so you can re-categorize an app, rename it, etc, without doign it all by hand?

jeff

skeezix said:
sebt3: Whats holding yu up until post-Xmas?
not having a pandora don't help to debug ;)

skeezix said:
I think a pretty recent pnd_run.sh of yours is in git for some time .. is that one good, or is that the one with broken documentation?
Sadly the broken documentation one :(
I never use it, and ED discovered this while doing his minimenu video last week :s
btw, I don't get how I could have broken documentation :(
Could you hint me on how this is handled ?

skeezix said:
Looks like you also removed some of the 'dependancy voodoo' that we'd added but not used yet.
The first version I ever saw only contain the "-j" trick, which should still work. But I dont think that's very suited for dependency support.
Give me your spec, I'll code it ;) (that's all I was praying for in my "about sharing" thread)

Will have to look into it.. Docuemntation is really just where libpnd creates a second .desktop with a different 'viewer app' specified than the normal run-app. In minimenu, its handled directly.

I'll have to dump mmenu's pnd_run.sh line so we can see what is up with docs .. do they work in xfce?

If they are broken in xfce, just inspect the .desktop for the documentation link; if it works in xfce but not mmenu, I'd be surprised :)

jeff

skeezix said:
dave - is now the time for an ovr editor as well, so you can re-categorize an app, rename it, etc, without doign it all by hand?

jeff
Sorry about not realizing the source was out. I guess not being a coder I missed it.

Anyway the end goal (and it isn't just me, I read someone else asking about it) Would be an easy way to tell an app which tab to show up under (and ONLY under) and be able to order the tabs and decide on what tabs to have. Someone may want to just have 6 tabs only etc. Right now there is a bit to much "automagic" going on. It seems up to the disgretion of the devs as to where it shows up. If you leave things default you get like 100 tabs with a few games in each one. You get tabs like "logic games" "Arcade" "Shooter" "RPG" blah blah. To me that is just a mess. A user should just be able to put a cursor on an icon and with some sort of context menu have an option like "send to tab xxx". The game would then show up in that tab, only (it is also sloppy to have the same game show up in 3 different spots, not an efficient use of space).

Also there was talk of having an option to turn off the preview panel for more icons. I think that is a reasonable option.

You had a solution of putting games in subdirs and have the tabs mimic the dir structure and names. I think that would work well too and was a good idea. In this case you would only have tabs that you have dirs for and that is it. Drag a PND into one of the dirs (that the user makes) and it just shows up in that tab. If you have another level of dirs under one that would trigger a subcat that can show as a folder in the icon panel.

the conf UI lets you turn on and off what tabs you want to see, easy. You can show as few or as mny as you like :)

IT will allow ordering of tabs one of these days.. notice the name of its menu item :)

gotta run, can't answer in full

yep, the manual classification of pnds is in the cards too.. its sort of a way of doing it without using ovr-files etc. ie: libpnd woudl auto-detect, then ovr would override, and then in mmenu if you're using manual stuff, that'd take precedence. Getting insane with options ;)

But yeah, that'll come. ITs been a rough year for RL busyness, but shoudl be getting sane soonish, so wil get back onto that stuff.

jeff

skeezix said:
yep, the manual classification of pnds is in the cards too.. its sort of a way of doing it without using ovr-files etc. ie: libpnd woudl auto-detect, then ovr would override, and then in mmenu if you're using manual stuff, that'd take precedence. Getting insane with options ;)

But yeah, that'll come. ITs been a rough year for RL busyness, but shoudl be getting sane soonish, so wil get back onto that stuff.

jeff
That is good.

Let me know when you are ready and I will be there for suggetions and testing. When you first coded this you got allot done fast that way.

Back